Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass shooting in Ohio

Cross posted in Book Recommendations and Active Shooter at El Paso Walmart threads.

Click here for a recommendation on a reading resource (Pat Mac's "Sentinel" book) that might just save a life... especially for someone who is not an enthusiastic student of self-defense.
    Last edited by Clark Jackson; 08-04-2019 at 03:34 PM.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The criminologists and psychologist have been saying that there is a contagion effect. It is supported by seeing how many of these killers study mass shooters and are fanatic fans of Columbine, the Norway guy, etc.

They fantasize that they will get the PR similary to that of the previous shooters and the praise of those who hold similar racist or crazy beliefs. They want they suffering and seeing the victims and their families suffer, lets them postulate the same from their victims. Called vicarious reinforcement.
    I've been preaching this for years. Female celebrities "leak" sex tapes. Loser nobody males go on mass killing rampages. It's the golden ticket to the media spotlight, to suddenly having untold people interested in you and your beliefs, and lasting fame among the circle jerk of people they consider heroes.

The media and politicians are complicit in this. Every time you bother to learn their name, so are you. Every time you click on a news article about it, you are reinforcing that there's money to be made in the reveling in the minutiae of these events.

The news should be something like "an anonymous coward was killed by police after engaging in mass murder. Nobody gives a fuck why he did it, we're just glad he's dead. Reports suggest he had a small dick, and couldn't get laid in a whorehouse if his boots were stuffed with hundreds, and was a chronic bed-wetter." What it's going to be is press for whatever his fucked up agenda was, political hot-potatoing of trying to tie him to "the other guy", whoever that is for you, and a shit ton of media attention.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

When was the last time a famous person was murdered? Or an attempt at a murder? I mean by a total stranger. It seems like, when I was a kid, that's how losers of this magnitude attained notoriety. John Lennon, Reagan, JFK (if you don't subscribe to conspiracy theories). I am sure there are others I'm not thinking of now. Seems like doing a mass murder is easier than trying to find some celebrity to kill.

I think there is something to this "Piling on" theory to the extent that one shooting emboldens others.

Lets not forget the fact that all of these folks have one thing in common and it ain't guns; They are certifiable, loonie tunes crazy.

1) This Dayton guy puts on a mask and body armor and shot his sister

2) Not a lot known about the El Paso dude but some kind of Satanist I think. It will come out....he was nuts.

The problem as I see it is shutting these crazies down before it happens. Seems to me most all of them post craziness in social media....but the "You are infringing on his civil rights" crowd will go catatonic.

I dunno ......and don't propose to have the solution...its a fine line.
    [B]“An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest” - Ben Franklin

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
    ― Edwin Louis Cole

Site Supporter
    I would suggest that the victim interviews and family interviews be toned down quite a bit. The suffering portrayed reinforces the fantasy of the next one. While, normal human beings can be move to tears, the monster to be is 'turned on' by it. Also, the large memorials and services should be private and not televised. They also reinforce the next shooter's fantasy.

One might say that such is against the 1st Amend. One might say that it is an attempt to minimize the tragedy in order to protect politicians whose rhetoric might have contributed to egging on a shooter.

That's not what I am looking at. I am looking at what turns on the next shooter. It is a problem of a free press society vs. contributing to the next problem. It's a lost cause anyway because social media will present the info and sites that cater to such monsters will continue without massive censorship.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
    I think there is something to this "Piling on" theory to the extent that one shooting emboldens others.

Lets not forget the fact that all of these folks have one thing in common and it ain't guns; They are certifiable, loonie tunes crazy.

1) This Dayton guy puts on a mask and body armor and shot his sister

2) Not a lot known about the El Paso dude but some kind of Satanist I think. It will come out....he was nuts.

The problem as I see it is shutting these crazies down before it happens. Seems to me most all of them post craziness in social media....but the "You are infringing on his civil rights" crowd will go catatonic.

I dunno ......and don't propose to have the solution...its a fine line.
    Absolutely not.

I can’t speak to the Dayton shooter but there is no indication the El Paso shooter is mentally ill by any clinical definition. Like the Sutherland springs shooter and the NZ shooter, he was calm, calculating and efficient. That is simply Evil. Evil exists.

Are some mass shooters mentally ill ? Sure but trying to rationalize all mass shooters away as mentally ill is at best, willful ignorance.

There is a lot of false / troll info floating around about the El Paso shooter- don’t believe everything you read on the internet.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-04-2019 at 06:44 PM.

I would suggest that the victim interviews and family interviews be toned down quite a bit. The suffering portrayed reinforces the fantasy of the next one. While, normal human beings can be move to tears, the monster to be is 'turned on' by it. Also, the large memorials and services should be private and not televised. They also reinforce the next shooter's fantasy.
    I was headed downtown (Bellbrook where both I and the shooter live) and decided to drive over by my old house to see how many vultures from the press were there by the shooters house. The street he lived on was closed off. Along the street leading to his street (which is a dead end) there press cars along both sides of the street. Maybe 20+ total. Some were up in people’s yards. That woulda lasted about 2 seconds if it was my yard.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I was headed downtown (Bellbrook where both I and the shooter live) and decided to drive over by my old house to see how many vultures from the press were there by the shooters house. The street he lived on was closed off. Along the street leading to his street (which is a dead end) there press cars along both sides of the street. Maybe 20+ total. Some were up in people’s yards. That woulda lasted about 2 seconds if it was my yard.
    It was interesting that CNN earlier showed video (from a distance) capturing the stampede outside the venue as the murderer fired upon the individuals.

However, they wouldn't show (the low res, and not at all graphic) video wherein the shooter was put down by police.

Once again CNN drops the ball and instead of allowing people to make a choice about whether to view or not, they decide what you can or cannot see. (It's available elsewhere on the web and is unremarkable footage.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter

One might say that such is against the 1st Amend. One might say that it is an attempt to minimize the tragedy in order to protect politicians whose rhetoric might have contributed to egging on a shooter.

That's not what I am looking at. I am looking at what turns on the next shooter. It is a problem of a free press society vs. contributing to the next problem. It's a lost cause anyway because social media will present the info and sites that cater to such monsters will continue without massive censorship.
    Another issue with the friends and family issues is the increase in trolling culture. There have been instance of people giving troll/false media interviews. Apparently at least one of the subjects who provided a phone interview to the media after the shooting claiming to be a survivor or the family member of a survivor, the one who claimed the shooter yelled “Gamers rise up” was actually a troll andmade up the whole thing.

Video of shooter being taken out by DPD. Well done, gentlemen. 5 Officers w 3 years on and a Sgt were the initial responding officers.
    https://www.whio.com/news/local/dayt...XBVB7tdjS7xlN/

And since this is a pistol forum, DPD runs Glock .45ACPs last time I checked.
    Last edited by Lon; 08-04-2019 at 07:31 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List