Thread: New Mexico Carry Permit

Site Supporter

New Mexico Carry Permit

We recently moved from Dallas to Angel Fire full time and I’m am looking to see if any of the local members can advise on the process of transferring me and my wife’s carry permits. From some light internet reading it looks like I may qualify to transfer our current Texas licenses via the renewal paperwork, but there is some ambiguity as to the required training being adequate.

Can anybody advise here?

Also we are a little more than an hour from the NRA Whittington Center in Raton, but that may not be the most timely place to look if additional course or range time is required, so any other local recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reciprocity

When I left Texas I looked at the DPS WEBSITE. Sent the change of address form in and told them I had a new drivers license with the state of OK. They sent me, after I paid 25.00?+- A be CHL with my new address on it. You are now carrying on your Texas CHL. In your new state. I even renewed it online. You are good because reciprocity.

Also I advise if you travel a lot get a FL CHL

And New Mexico is an open carry state, dependent on location you will see a lot of it. Down south, a lot of it. Touristy spots maybe not so much, but you have a TEXAS CHL. All good. I wil keep mine forever
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 08-03-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Reciprocity

When I left Texas I looked at the DPS WEBSITE. Sent the change of address form in and told them I had a new drivers license with the state of OK. They sent me, after I paid 25.00?+- A be CHL with my new address on it. You are now carrying on your Texas CHL. In your new state. I even renewed it online. You are good because reciprocity.

Also I advise if you travel a lot get a FL CHL

And New Mexico is an open carry state, dependent on location you will see a lot of it. Down south, a lot of it. Touristy spots maybe not so much, but you have a TEXAS CHL. All good. I wil keep mine forever
    New Mexico does not recognize out of state permits of non residents. They used to, but it got killed off a few years back. I will have to get a New Mexico issued carry permit, and I'm just looking for anyone's experience moving in from out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakus View Post
    New Mexico does not recognize out of state permits of non residents. They used to, but it got killed off a few years back. I will have to get a New Mexico issued carry permit, and I'm just looking for anyone's experience moving in from out of state.
    https://www.dps.nm.gov/reciprocity

New Mexico has reciprocal agreements with lots of states, and recognizes 22 states TX is one of them. That list is current as April 2019.
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 08-05-2019 at 03:42 PM.

I hate states that do that. I happen to live in the only state that does not issue carry permits of any kind (the og constitutional carry state) which leaves me hosed in any state that doesn't grant reciprocity to non-resident permits. Several states also won't issue a non resident permit unless you have a resident permit in your home state so hosed again. I actually wish my state would have a shall issue permit in addition to constitutional carry for that reason alone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

According to the map on USACarry.com, NM honors out of state resident permits (to include Texas).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post

New Mexico has reciprocal agreements with lots of states, and recognizes 22 states TX is one of them. That list is current as April 2019.
    Yes, the reciprocity agreement covers my Texas carry permit, but that permit was issued to me as a Texas resident. I could call and update my address and pay the $25 and then it would become a Texas carry permit issued to an out of state resident, which New Mexico doesn't recognize (they want to be paid). I believe I have a little time (30 days or so), but my New Mexico Driver licenses will be here in a few weeks. I need to get the ball rolling on a New Mexico permit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    According to the map on USACarry.com, NM honors out of state resident permits (to include Texas).
    Huh, maybe I have my wires crossed here....Handgunlaw.us says something similar, but google has conflicting info.

Site Supporter

Does New Mexico honor any other State’s Concealed Carry Permits?Agreements about honoring CCW Permits in other states can be found on the Reciprocity Agreements web page. However reciprocity means permission granted for an out of state licenses issued to a person who is not a New Mexico resident to be used in the state of New Mexico by a licensee visiting or passing through the state;resident to be used in the state of New Mexico by a licensee visiting or passing through the state;
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    All right. Some more googling and a couple of phone calls and here's what I've got.

Per the NM DPS handbook reciprocity is covered below

N. reciprocity means permission granted for an out of state licenses issued to a
    person who is not a New Mexico resident to be used in the state of New Mexico by a
    licensee visiting or passing through the state;

So while out of state permits maybe good, not if you are a New Mexico resident

And as far and transferring in a permit from another state, that only applies if the transferring permit included training that took place within the last year.

B. To transfer a license from another state. A person establishing New Mexico
    residency must transfer his or her license from another state. The license holder has 90
    days from establishing New Mexico residency to file an application for a New Mexico
    renewed license on the form prescribed by the department. An applicant for transfer
    shall not carry a concealed handgun in New Mexico until the applicant receives a New
    Mexico license unless he or she has a license from a state that has been accepted by
    reciprocity by New Mexico.
    (1) In addition to the items required by Paragraph 3 of Subsection A of this
    section, the applicant for transfer shall file:
    (a) proof of residency as provided in Subsection A of 10.8.2.12 NMAC;
    (b) proof of age as provided in Subsection B of 10.8.2.12 NMAC; and
    (c) a photocopy of the license being transferred.
    (2) The applicant for transfer shall complete:
    (a) a refresher firearms training course if the firearms training required
    by the other state meets or exceeds New Mexico firearms training requirements and
    the licensee completed firearms training not more than one year prior to filing the
    application; or
    (b) an initial firearms training course if the firearms training required by
    the other state does not meet New Mexico firearms training requirements or the licensee
    completed firearms training more than one year prior to filing the application.

(3) The applicant for transfer must meet all other requirements for obtaining a
    license in New Mexico by showing either that:
    (a) the requirements for licensure in the other state meet or exceed the
    requirements for issuance of a license in New Mexico; or
    (b) the applicant has satisfactorily completed the requirements for
    issuance of a license in New Mexico that were not applicable in the other state.

Even though I have had a Texas permit for going on 15 years, it looks like New Mexico wants their money and wants me to start from scratch.

I've got a call into the Whittington Center to see if there are any classes sooner than 60 days out.

Any other instructor suggestions for northern New Mexico would be appreciated.

User Tag List