Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need new electronic hearing protection. Suggestions please.

@voodoo_man might be this one:

Electronic ear protection - current state of groupthink?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    @voodoo_man might be this one:

Electronic ear protection - current state of groupthink?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t
    Yeah that's it, the group buy for the sordins is in there and a bunch of technical stuff. Lots of ear pro discussed and no need to have another thread on it rehashing anything, theres nothing new on the market (aside from noisefighters) that needs discussion.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    You won't find many top tier versions which support bluetooth, not yet anyway.
    Sure you can, the Peltor Tactical 500.

Top quality hearing protection, and they have Bluetooth capability. Although I do recommend upgrading the ear seals to gel seals.

They offer much better hearing protection than the more expensive very low profile ear pro, that is designed for use under a helmet, and for radio comms with a whole tactical team. Most people are better off getting the better protection, at a lower cost.

Here is the data that shows you're better off with the Peltor ear pro than the MSA Sordin offerings:

1. Blog post which has the NRR data for MSA Sordin: https://trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/tag/sordin/ which many people have linked to on this forum.
    Note the NRR data for the MSA Sordins is legit, but the blog post makes claims that are not true such as, "Some ear-pro makers put noise-reduction labels on their products by picking the frequency range with the greatest reduction, then calling that the noise-reduction rating." Any manufacturer who wants to market their products with the standard labeling such as:
    Name:  EPA-NRR-label-767x516.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  69.0 KB
    Cannot simply pull a number from the best performing frequency range. They must follow the EPA regulations for calculating the noise reduction rating (NRR).

2. On the previous thread, that has been linked to in this thread, I posted the data for the Peltor 100, 300, and 500 earpro, which shows they all perform much better than the MSA Sordins, in two separate posts on this page.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=DMF13

Need to wear a helmet and have radio comms with a tactical team? Get very low profile, and expensive ear pro.

Want to save your hearing at the range, when not wearing a helmet? Get better protection at a lower price.

$115 for those peltor bluetooth on amazon, that's a hard pass for me, blue tooth and tactical electronic ear pro just don't mix for me, I understand why some people would want them, but for comms, hardwire to a portable is, and will be, king for a while.

As for being better than sordin's, that's personal opinion at best. I have 6x? different electronic ear pro and have used the tippy top of the tiers of ear pro, the sordin's are still my go to with the noisefighters gels.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I’ve had Peltors and MSAs issued to me. I’ve bought both with my own money. I bought the MSA Sordins with the gel caps and they’re my go to ear pro now.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I suggest you look here. https://srstactical.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Why do you want the Bluetooth?
    Man, BT comes in handy with smartphones. The sound is great and you don’t have a 3.5 audio cable hanging from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Weaponeer View Post
    Man, BT comes in handy with smartphones. The sound is great and you don’t have a 3.5 audio cable hanging from it.
    I guess I’m getting old. I find myself enjoying the “silence” of the gun range. I have zero interest in taking calls, listening to music or podcasts... the only reason I still use electronic ear pro is people insist on talking and I get tired of yelling. I really should just keep and extra couple of sets around and give them to everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I guess I’m getting old. I find myself enjoying the “silence” of the gun range. I have zero interest in taking calls, listening to music or podcasts... the only reason I still use electronic ear pro is people insist on talking and I get tired of yelling. I really should just keep and extra couple of sets around and give them to everyone else.
    Silence is golden...
    VDMSR.com

Peltor Sport Tactical 500

I purchase a set of these to replace an old set of Peltors. I chose these based on a couple of reviews and their noise reduction rating. When wearing them turned off, I have trouble hearing anything but my breathing. When they are on, they work very well.

However, after use for once a week for the last year the range, a design flaw has surfaced. The wire mount for the ear cup puts enough pressure on the plastic connecting piece to the head band. After some use the tab breaks and the cup no longer seals against the side of your head. This is a very poor design. Not my pics but shows the issue. They have a 1 year warranty. Mine are sent back at this time. 3M Peltor knows of the issue. Many have contacted them on this issue. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...1204148&rt=rud I got the pics on their site.

However I will not recommend these to anyone based on my experience. Dang shame as I really liked them until now.

JW
    Attached Images Attached Images    

User Tag List