Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Grip A DA Revolver

Site Supporter
    Questions regarding trigger finger placement:

I shoot a semiauto with the trigger halfway between the first joint and the tip of the finger. I can see how contacting the trigger with the first joint would provide more leverage, but in the context of a revolver, as compared to halfway between the joint and the tip, does using the joint contribute to or hinder a straight back squeeze without moving the gun to one side?

If using the joint helps, do you do the same for the DA squeeze of a DA/SA semiauto?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

I shoot a semiauto with the trigger halfway between the first joint and the tip of the finger. I can see how contacting the trigger with the first joint would provide more leverage, but in the context of a revolver, as compared to halfway between the joint and the tip, does using the joint contribute to or hinder a straight back squeeze without moving the gun to one side?

If using the joint helps, do you do the same for the DA squeeze of a DA/SA semiauto?

Thanks in advance.

Bill, I don't think there's a universal answer that fits everyone. I know I've used the pad on some revolvers and the crease of the first joint on others...depends on how the gun fits my hands and the weight of the trigger.

The same can be said for semis though I much more often have just used the pad.

One size does not fit all in this regard, imho and may be gun specific.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

What blues said. Also different trigger widths and surfaces will dictate as well. Then you get to add in how much cylinder your finger is rotating. As a fan of N frames...my trigger finger is turning a lot of mass.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

This has been interesting watching the recent discussions of revolver use and grip on the gun. Ive stayed mostly quiet in the past, being what I thought as somewhat of a luddite. Perhaps I may not be.

I dont grip as high on the frame as some, just to the angle where the frame turns toward the hammer, but repeat shots with more powerful chamberings push the gun down somewhat. Ive ground down the target hammers to service size on my 44s over time to alleviate the interference. No problems since.

I had a short fingered glove get behind the trigger on a smith 19 once when i was attempting to shoot a rattlesnake. No bang. Lesson learned.

I found I couldn't tuck my left thumb over my right thumb with certain grips because my trigger finger would hit it. With pachymers I can.

Someone asked for this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I do use a thumbs forward grip on the 3 inch LCR that I carry as well. I’ll run it later next year in ECQC just to see how it performs under pressure.

One tip - DO NOT wear a shirt you like when doing the live fire portion. The cylinder blast when shooting from the #2 will absolutely ruin your shirt. I destroyed my favorite Sonoran shirt from Wilderness Tactical (that I had only had for a few months and paid $60+ for !) in 2006 doing this with a 642.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Site Supporter
    Two expressions come to mind from my military experience (with a visit to SE Asia mixed in there).

The first: No battle plan survives the first round fired.

Second, and this has been around a long time: Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.

I was an early IPSC competitor and a multiple Gunsite Graduate when I took over my departments firearms training. I quickly learned that much of what is taught (and believed) from the square range doesn't always translate well to the real world. People like the fun stuff but I always pushed (hammered) basics.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    One tip - DO NOT wear a shirt you like when doing the live fire portion. The cylinder blast when shooting from the #2 will absolutely ruin your shirt. I destroyed my favorite Sonoran shirt from Wilderness Tactical (that I had only had for a few months and paid $60+ for !) in 2006 doing this with a 642.
    Rash guards are surprisingly (or, unsurprisingly, if one thinks about it) resistant to this issue. I ran a 640 in the last local ECQC. No problem.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

Thanks in advance.

I've been fortunate in that with every revolver I've shot, I've always been able to place my first joint over trigger. The one thing I do that I haven't seen mentioned is to move the tip of my trigger finger slightly toward the center line of the gun as I pull the trigger. This allows me to touch the back edge of my trigger guard as the hammer releases. Maybe it functions as an additional anchor point to keep the gun straight? Regardless, I shoot more accurately when I do this than when I don't.
    Real guns have hammers.

User Tag List