Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How to Grip A DA Revolver

When I shoot IHMSA matches with a revolver, out of the Creedmoor position, I use a blast shield made of several layers of glued leather to protect my legs from the blast and potential unburned powder, bullet shavings, etc. I have no doubt that if my fingers ever get alongside the barrel/cylinder gap of any of my magnum revolvers, it will result in serious injury. One more reason for the traditional thumbs-locked grip.
    Last edited by oregon45; 08-06-2019 at 09:38 PM.

At the OP’s request, I have tried to re-post my images., from the other thread topic. Thus far, this iPad is fighting me.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    At the OP’s request, I have tried to re-post my images., from the other thread topic. Thus far, this iPad is fighting me.
    Rex, you should be able to go to the images in the other thread, right click and copy the URL of the images, then paste them in the new thread.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Rex, you should be able to go to the images in the other thread, right click and copy the URL of the images, then paste them in the new thread.
    Thanks; will try that, or at least use the theory. (No left/right on an iPad.)

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....1&d=1564864920

E.T.A.: Well, it posted the link, not the image. Sigh. Well, anyway, that one shows the SP101.

I will probably have to start from the beginning, with each image, from the IPAd’s photo library.
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-07-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Thanks; will try that, or at least use the theory. (No left/right on an iPad.)

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....1&d=1564864920

E.T.A.: Well, it posted the link, not the image. Sigh. Well, anyway, that one shows the SP101.

I will probably have to start from the beginning, with each image, from the IPAd’s photo library.
    @Tom_Jones (who is still shit) explained this earlier in the thread, and helped me to understand it through further PM comm. The "attachment manager" is the "paperclip" icon in the collection of buttons above where you're typing when you write or edit a post. Click on it, and a dialogue pops up that allows you to repost any image you've previously posted on this forum and get it to actually appear. Keeps you from having to re-transfer the same images to P-F's storage repeatedly.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 08-07-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    @Tom Jones (who is still shit) explained this earlier in the thread, and helped me to understand it through further PM comm. The "attachment manager" is the "paperclip" icon in the collection of buttons above where you're typing when you write or edit a post. Click on it, and a dialogue pops up that allows you to repost any image you've previously posted on this forum and get it to actually appear. Keeps you from having to re-transfer the same images to P-F's storage repeatedly.
    Thanks!

Well, the iPad still fights me. I can drag, from Box 1, but the image will not drop into Box 2, instead, running back to Box 1.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Thanks!

Well, the iPad still fights me. I can drag, from Box 1, but the image will not drop into Box 2, instead, running back to Box 1.
    Here ya go, Rex. (I hope this works.)

There's nothing civil about this war.

Another point of view/consideration. I normally use the thumb over thumb hold as demonstrated in DB's pictures. Unfortunately, I've found that with harder recoiling guns (generally short barrel 44 mags with 900 fps & up loads), that hold causes me pain in the web of my strong hand. Instead, I use strong side thumb over support thumb so I'm not putting downward pressure on my strong side thumb. On an N frame gun, my support thumb rides on the frame above the trigger near the rear of the cylinder.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Another point of view/consideration. I normally use the thumb over thumb hold as demonstrated in DB's pictures. Unfortunately, I've found that with harder recoiling guns (generally short barrel 44 mags with 900 fps & up loads), that hold causes me pain in the web of my strong hand. Instead, I use strong side thumb over support thumb so I'm not putting downward pressure on my strong side thumb. On an N frame gun, my support thumb rides on the frame above the trigger near the rear of the cylinder.

I've done that same thing with harder recoiling guns but for slightly different reasons.
    After shooting revolvers for a long time with support thumb over strong thumb, scandium frames got me looking harder at my grip in an effort to reduce movement of the gun and having to adjust.
    Looking at the stocks from behind, with left thumb over right thumb I have a distinct gap between the heel of the support hand and the stocks. Switching to left thumb over right thumb gives (me at least) solid contact of left hand on the gun.
    That's helped me stop the gun from shifting quite a bit with the rapidly recoiling guns.
    Experimenting with how far the support hand rotates to the front, or back toward you, helps find "the best spot" with hard recoilers as well.
    I cringe just a bit when watching people with the aggressive thumbs forward shoot magnum revolvers, but to each their own.

Thanks, blues!

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List