Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Grip A DA Revolver

How to Grip A DA Revolver

This subject came up in another thread, so rather than muddy that one up, I thought I'd make a new post.

So what are the best ways you've found to grip a DA revolver? One hand and two handed?

Any differences between duty size or snubbies?

This is how I do it wrong.....

Grip with the strong hand as high on the backstrap as possible without interference with the hammer. Strong thumb down to contain the revolvers recoil impulse. Index finger should be set in the trigger at the first distal joint and set for a clean, smooth stroke to the web of the hand. Support hand fills everything it can and the support thumb is on top of the strong side thumbnail. During ancient times when we were actually pressure testing stuff in the dark and during stress shooting drills we found that you want nothing to contact the cylinder. It turns in a circle in front if you and your trigger finger in controlling the turn....so, you want nothing to interfere with the cylinder turning or the trigger fingers path either on the initiation stroke or the return. Remember these are the ancient ways and likely no longer work because through modern magic it is now important to control the revolvers slide mass that is reciprocating forward and back through modernization. Also don’t worry any longer about your support thumb interference with the cylinder turning or under stress getting it in the path of exiting gasses. That crap only happened with the untrained gunman of thirty plus years ago. Today’s modern shooter would never get a hand misplaced during an actually crisis or ground fight or rolling around type stuff.
    With a snub you can wrap your support thumb over and around the back of the strong thumb. This helps a lot of folks with controlling the recoil impulse with the snub and keeps the fingers away from all the things that can hinder the cylinder moving and the trigger finger stroke and follow through.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Great explanation and pictures DB. Would fit nicely into a book on the history and use of American fighting revolvers....

Also.....this guy who knows very little about efficiency in competition uses the ancient grip on a revolver and a grip suited specifically to the recoil impulse and control of a semi auto. Some day he may figure it out as well. He also wraps the support thumb with both snubs and very hard recoiling Magnums thinking for some weird reason that it will control revolver recoil better than his thumbs forward semi auto grip.....weird.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Also.....this guy who knows very little about efficiency in competition uses the ancient grip on a revolver and a grip suited specifically to the recoil impulse and control of a semi auto. Some day he may figure it out as well. He also wraps the support thumb with both snubs and very hard recoiling Magnums thinking for some weird reason that it will control revolver recoil better than his thumbs forward semi auto grip.....weird.
    Maybe one day he will seek instruction. The guy doesn't know what the guys doesn't know. I appreciate your younger and cheek comments. Those are the ones that stick with me and I will be able to use later

You get so many points for that black bezel 16700 that we can just stop right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    You get so many points for that black bezel 16700 that we can just stop right here.
    21 st Birthday present to me and has been on my wrist ever since. Every minute of cop work start to finish, notes the time at the birth of my daughter and the death of my wife on that timepiece. It’s sort of old and worn like me, and I don’t care if it ain’t that cool in a world of apple watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    21 st Birthday present to me and has been on my wrist ever since. Every minute of cop work start to finish, notes the time at the birth of my daughter and the death of my wife on that timepiece. It’s sort of old and worn like me, and I don’t care if it ain’t that cool in a world of apple watches.
    That. All of that is why the apples watch and those like are such utterly disposable trash

Nice to know that some of us are still doing it the same way. Funny that I didn't even know until Rex's post earlier that we were anachronisms.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Name:  DE866643-F33D-4561-B153-169F348122B0.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  51.9 KB

Here’s how I grip it wrong. The thumbs forward grip works very well for recoil control on anything up to a normal pressure .357 Magnum, provided the gun has adequate grip space to accommodate my support hand. The biggest advantage to this grip is that if you keep the gun in your dominant hand during reloads, it’s a little bit faster to hit the cylinder release button with my thumb in the forward position than it is if my thumb is locked down.

Now, here’s the important part. I’m not dogmatic about which is better, thumbs locked or thumbs forward. I certainly don’t use a thumbs forward grip if I’m shooting a .44 Magnum. For example, thumbs forward works great on a GP100 Match Champion with those big stocks. It doesn’t work great on an old Model 10 with tiny little grips.

Anyway, take this for what it’s worth. I’m not particularly good at shooting wheelguns, I only finished in the top 5 at IDPA Nationals like 5 times and never better than 2nd.

User Tag List