Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Shooter at El Paso Walmart

I had heard it mentioned that this store, or the area in which the store resided, was a posted no carry zone. Can anyone confirm or deny?

deleted for being hostile.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 08-05-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    From BBC News:

The far-right web forum 8chan, used to celebrate mass shootings and spread suspects' so-called “manifestos”, has been forced offline after losing its cyber-security protection.

Cloudflare, a San Francisco-based firm that provides added security for websites to prevent cyber-attacks, said it would stop protecting 8chan at midnight Pacific Time (08:00 BST) on Monday.

The 21-year-old suspect in this weekend’s shooting in El Paso, Texas, is understood to have used 8chan to spread his manifesto.

Previously, the site was also used by the suspect in March’s shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand, as well as the suspect in April's synagogue shooting in Poway, California.

Losing Cloudflare’s protection has made 8chan vulnerable to a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack, whereby a website is bombarded with traffic that overwhelms its servers, rendering it inaccessible.

A few minutes after the Cloudflare service was withdrawn, 8chan did indeed become unavailable.

Cloudflare chief executive Matthew Prince had said, in the wake of Saturday’s shootings, that his firm would continue to support 8chan as its policy was to remain neutral over the type of content the service protected.

However, on Sunday evening Mr Prince wrote in a blog post that "8chan has repeatedly proven itself to be a cesspool of hate”.

“They have proven themselves to be lawless and that lawlessness has caused multiple tragic deaths,” Mr Prince wrote.

"Even if 8chan may not have violated the letter of the law in refusing to moderate their hate-filled community, they have created an environment that revels in violating its spirit.”
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    I've had a running hypothesis somewhat along these lines for a while now: Some critical point has been reached.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post
    Someone smarter than me succinctly identified causes of the problem as such: "Promotion of victim mentality, de-emphasis of personal responsibility, elimination of outlets for the resolution of conflict, and dissolution of the nuclear family."

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I had heard it mentioned that this store, or the area in which the store resided, was a posted no carry zone. Can anyone confirm or deny?
    Can’t confirm.

But does anyone actually care about these signs ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Can’t confirm.

In TX the first offense (carrying past a properly posted 30.06 sign) has been reduced to a $200 fine. Personally, I don't "care" because the law provides an exception for me. If I didn't have that exception, I would definitely care more. Maybe enough not to visit such places. I'd miss Sprouts and Whole Foods the most. The only posted places I visit with any frequency.

IMO, the solution to this mess is to require everyone to be capable of providing for their own self defense. You're never gonna fix all the evil. Certainly not by taking away MY guns, or my ability to tote them lawfully. The adage may be simple, but it's true... When second count, the police are only minutes away. I dare the liberal media to run that ad.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post

My paraphrasing of John Johnston's take is that the more a student develops themselves as a self-defender in skills training and equipment choices, they are increasingly less likely to ever have to use them in the first place/again. This doesn't necessarily contradict what he refers to as a 'sentinel event.'

http://ballisticradio.com/2014/09/16...entinel-event/

Anyway, the truth of this terrible matter as it relates to me is that if it had taken place less than ten years earlier, there was a pretty good chance that my name would be on the list of victims killed, not necessarily because I would have been very unlikely to have the tools that I preferred, but at the very least because I hadn't even played out the possibilities in my head of what could happen and what I could do.
    You bring up some very valid, introspective, and relatable points about self-defense and concealed carry. I have high regard for Pat Mac's "Sentinel" book because I see great value in the potential for the book's information to assist the you of ten years ago or the me of fifteen+ years ago. Ideally, that information helps another law-abiding citizen before a tragedy impacts them directly or indirectly.

Good post. Thanks for taking the time. I'll check out the linked information.
    Last edited by Clark Jackson; 08-05-2019 at 08:18 AM.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Can’t confirm.

I'd have to imagine the casual CCW holder would. Some more in the know might way the options. I have little knowledge of TX law, but I do know these signs hold the weight of law, and by that knowledge if I were visiting, I'd likely abide by them, though first choice would be to avoid the establishment all together if possible.

Site Supporter
    Can’t confirm.

I care when and only when the sign carries the force of law.

If I get caught with a gun in a place I am not legally allowed to carry one, that impacts my ability to continue my chosen profession as well as my ability to legally carry anywhere else, or depending on the state, perhaps my ability to legally own a gun. The risk of getting caught might be very small but it is not zero.

If the consequences are getting banned from the premises, there are many other stores competing for my finite, hard-earned, after-tax dollars. I might, however, choose to avoid the place with the sign and take those dollars elsewhere regardless of legal requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post

One of the four newspapers Trump reads every day...
    I'm getting to be with Glenn on this. They're all weapons of war. ARs, your great grand-daddy's 1911, the Colt SA, the Mauser turn-bolt, the Kentucky rifle, the musket. All the way back to whatever the Mongols first cobbled together with the gunpowder the Chinese had figured out how to make 800 years ago.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List