Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Active Shooter at El Paso Walmart

Site Supporter
    I know a lot more people with concealed handgun licenses who rarely carry than I know who carry daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    OK, why didn't anyone shoot back? Was there no one at all with a gun for protection.
    Ayup. With a J-frame or a subcompact 9mm, go up against a guy armed with an AK.

Not unless I can pull an Uncle Fester on him.

(“Shoot him in the back, Gomez?”)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I can not find where I saw it. But a gentleman was in the Wal Mart during the shooting. And was pissed off at himself he did not carry that day. Pretty sure there is a vid of it during shooting and you can see him say he left his gun at home.

While CHL holder # may seem high, they are probably a single digit % of the TX population. What % of that low # actually carry every day? What % of that now even lower % are going to get their families to safety first if they aren’t in the initial kill zone? What % of what’s left live in El Paso and were at that Walmart??

I’ll wager the odds are higher for a mass shooting happening where an in duty cop is present.

The area also, supposedly, caters to people coming and going across the border. Pretty good chance that even without legally binding signs banning concealed carry the area was a GFZ.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I know a lot more people with concealed handgun licenses who rarely carry than I know who carry daily.

In TX you also have to sub divide the “carrier” group into those who actually carry on their person and those who say they “carry” but really just keep a gun in the car because they are too lazy to actually carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    I can not find where I saw it. But a gentleman was in the Wal Mart during the shooting. And was pissed off at himself he did not carry that day. Pretty sure there is a vid of it during shooting and you can see him say he left his gun at home.
    People conceal carry 100% of the time posting on the internet.

On topic - Yeah to Ms Stephanie's point of J frame vs. an AK. Not good. I suppose we all give some cycles to "what we'd do" in that situation. I've had that conversation with myself a number of times. I still have no idea.

I'm pretty good at remaining calm when things happen. Unexpected hospital visits. Car crashes. etc. But a shooting? I dunno. I suppose my first thought on hearing pop pop pop a few aisles away at the Wal Mart would be to get between it and my wife. Then I'd look for how to gtfo of the area, mucho rapido. Returning fire would be near the last thing on my mental list, and probably only if I got stuck (no exit area, stairwell, etc.) and I'd apply the same self-defense principles I've learned: gun at the low ready, deal with a perceived and articulatable deadly threat to me or my family. I'll be honest though and say I have no idea how I'd react, for realz. It sure does make one think though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    OK, why didn't anyone shoot back? Was there no one at all with a gun for protection.

If there was ever a case for being able to protect yourself, this is it. Instead of looking to make it difficult for people to protect themselves, there should be laws making it easier. How about CCW shall issue instead of may issue? How about reciprocity? How about any gun, any magazine?

I'm all for what people want - laws that work against criminals and the homicidal mentally ill. Giving law abiding people a chance for self defense would do just that.

NOW LET'S GET THOSE COMMON SENSE LAWS PASSED!
    I think there were a few carriers there but obviously didn't engage the guy. I can't fault them for not taking on a guy with an AK. Maybe they didn't engage because they had a lot of folks around them and didn't want to draw fire....who knows...the variables are multiple.

However I can understand that if the mass shooter had to engage multiple armed folks with shots coming his way, it would have altered the circumstances. We all know these retarded fucks usually shit the pants and retreat once they get rounds going towards them.

So I can see the reasoning--we haven't seriously explored the ways to dis-incentivize mass shooters by incentivizing people to be armed and prepared. The CHL laws are one thing but it takes more than that.

We need more Stephen Willieford's and less Broward SROs...

It might be controversial and a little too much 'Wild West' but I was thinking the other day a rewards system for taking down these mass shooters.

Kinda like the scene in 3:10 to Yuma where Charlie Prince offers $200 to take out Ben Wade's captors...except without shooting up the whole damn town.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Ayup. With a J-frame or a subcompact 9mm, go up against a guy armed with an AK.

Not unless I can pull an Uncle Fester on him.

(“Shoot him in the back, Gomez?”)
    That’s why I don’t understand people carrying such small guns when they could carry more. Of course there are times when concealment is paramount, but if not in a place where legal issues are a concern, I’d guess that most people could carry more gun if they tried a little harder.

Of course I have no idea how it’d play out in real life, but I’d absolutely be more likely to go to the fight with a G19 with red dot and 31 rounds vs a j-frame.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In TX you also have to sub divide the “carrier” group into those who actually carry on their person and those who say they “carry” but really just keep a gun in the car because they are too lazy to actually carry.
    Yup. I know quite a few people who have permits and find any reason on earth to not carry. Plenty of off-duty LEOs as well.....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    Yup. I know quite a few people who have permits and find any reason on earth to not carry. Plenty of off-duty LEOs as well.....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Take AZ and and Giffords attack as an example. Constitutional carry and I think only one person in the gathered crowd had a handgun--besides the shooter himself.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

User Tag List