Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Active Shooter at El Paso Walmart

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    See Chance’s post above mine and the article linked therein.

His mother called the police a few weeks prior to the incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This:

But lawyers for the Crusius family stressed that the phone call was "informational" in nature, and not due to worries he could be a harm to others.
    "This was not a volatile, explosive, erratic behaving kid," Chris Ayres told CNN. "It's not like alarm bells were going off."
    Is not a “red flag.”

That is just “mom doesn’t like guns.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This:

Is not a “red flag.”

That is just “mom doesn’t like guns.”
    If a red flag law had been in place, it certainly appears that his mom’s actions would (hopefully) not have been enough to trigger it.

However, I have a hard time believing g that this was simply her not liking guns. There had to have been more to her concerns for her to take such a step, even if those concerns were not fully expressed.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If a red flag law had been in place, it certainly appears that his mom’s actions would (hopefully) not have been enough to trigger it.

However, I have a hard time believing g that this was simply her not liking guns. There had to have been more to her concerns for her to take such a step, even if those concerns were not fully expressed.

I agree, most parents are in denial and even when they are concerned they hide it with some other bs. Working in a school system for over 14 years with direct contact with this sort of thing you see a lot. You get a lot of calls from parents with bullshit concerns. When you end up finding out they had other motives for calling and hoped the school would dig into the kid and figure the problem out on their own. Parent either not wanting to admit their kid is off the rails or they do not want their kids to know they called on them.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...before-attack/

"My son has a scary gun and I'm afraid of it. Can you take it away from him for me?"

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

When I’m on front desk duty, it is very normal for me to take phone calls from people wanting to know “what they can do to get guns away from so-and-so.” When pressed, it typically boils down to “why would anyone need that, much less a [person they don’t like] unless they were planning something bad?”

I’ve also witnessed divorcees that tell the cops “my ex is an imminent danger to me and the children [that they helped raise for 7 years without a single incident] and I’m afraid he’s going to snap and kill us” too many times to count. It’s a collective boy that cries wolf.

That’s what makes me nervous about this. It’s not even a law here, and people have been trying to abuse it for years.
    Last edited by fwrun; 08-08-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fwrun View Post
    When I’m on front desk duty, it is very normal for me to take phone calls from people wanting to know “what they can do to get guns away from so-and-so.” When pressed, it typically boils down to “why would anyone need that, much less a [person they don’t like] unless they were planning something bad?”

I’ve also witnessed divorcees that tell the cops “my ex is an imminent danger to me and the children [that they helped raise for 7 years without a single incident] and I’m afraid he’s going to snap and kill us” too many times to count. It’s a collective boy that cries wolf.

That’s what makes me nervous about this. It’s not even a law here, and people have been trying to abuse it for years.
    This ^^^ x1,0000.

And for those who say people making false reports will be punished I say BULLSHIT, it is so rare as to be insignificant.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-08-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fwrun View Post

I am aware of at least one situation in which the involuntary commitment process was abused by one of the two people involved in a divorce. Fortunately the doctor at the facility figured out what was happening quickly.

Preventing abuse of a red flag law will not be easy.

Site Supporter
    OK, why didn't anyone shoot back? Was there no one at all with a gun for protection.

If there was ever a case for being able to protect yourself, this is it. Instead of looking to make it difficult for people to protect themselves, there should be laws making it easier. How about CCW shall issue instead of may issue? How about reciprocity? How about any gun, any magazine?

I'm all for what people want - laws that work against criminals and the homicidal mentally ill. Giving law abiding people a chance for self defense would do just that.

NOW LET'S GET THOSE COMMON SENSE LAWS PASSED!
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Unpermitted open carry of long guns is legal in TX, subject to certain restrictions.

TX is shall issue for carry of handguns. Carry of any legal gun, any magazine is allowed with concealment. Open carry is legal on the same permit, with methods of carry restricted (on your belt/waist or in a shoulder holster).

Concealed and open carry can be prohibited by posting of signs that must meet specific requirements making them prominent and unmissable. It was mentioned earlier that open carry was prohibited in the area of the shooting, not concealed.

So nothing keeping someone from having a G34 in an AIWB.

The only thing keeping someone from shooting back was having someone present at the time and place of the shooting who chose to be licensed and carry that day. The reality is that even though there are probably more LTCs in TX than most states, likely even on a per-capita basis, there just aren't that many guns around in public places.

Also, there is the desire to exit the situation and go home to one's family at the end of the day rather than engage the shooter (which is the first responsibility of most of us who have not taken an oath to serve and protect).
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List