Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Request advice - hunting boots

Site Supporter

Request advice - hunting boots

I have always had plenty of military issue boots to choose from - my insulated mil issue boots need replacement

Situation:
    hunting in Wyoming in October
    heavy dew in morning soaks feet - need to be waterproof - plus had sleet-snow last year
    over a 5+ day hunt, weather swings from hot to very cold - need to be insulated
    walking extended distances - need to be light as possible - (do they make a sturdy trail runner that is insulated/waterproof?)
    walking rough terrain - need some ankle support plus must not fall apart (built too light)

I would appreciate any suggestions based on experience. Worst case I will get another set of mil issue insulated boots but wanted to ask for feedback.

I'd get some insulated Danners for that application but they are pricy.

Depending on just how low of temperatures you’re expecting, the Danner Sierra insulated model may be a good option. Basically a brown Acadia. I have both and they are very comfy to wear for extended hikes (after a short break in).

I have worn these for four years, hunting in Alaska during September and Montana late October/early November.

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/arc...-boot_10266898

I also bring a pair of Schnee insulated pack boots to elk camp in case it is well below zero.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If you get a chance, try the Salewa Mountain Trainer or Rapace if you're carrying heavy loads. They may or may not work for your foot shape but they're worth checking out. Why insulated? If you're not stand hunting or sitting in sub-zero temps, most people will be fine using a wool liner sock and wool boot sock in a waterproof boot. You can use trash bags or some other plastic bag to make a vapor barrier. The vapor barrier trick will get you well below zero while keeping weight and bulk to a minimum.

Site Supporter
    Insulated because we sit for hours glassing then move to the opportunity. It is a demanding challenge for gear - light enough to move long distances then heavy enough for warmth for sitting for a while.

I also like the Danners.
    I have an older pair similar to these https://www.danner.com/men/hunt/pron...edge-400g.html
    I've hunted elk and mulies in Colorado for years in these.
    I opted for the lighter weight insulation model because I felt they were more versatile as I could add wool socks/liners and foot/toe warmers if need be. With the lighter weight insulation they are still comfortable when the weather warms up.
    Can easily hike all day in them. Good in rocky and uneven terrain. And absolutely waterproof.
    While some may say these are pricey, they will last for years.
    Last edited by baddean; 08-04-2019 at 03:51 PM.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

I have used the Cabela's Meindl boots for years. Good stuff, but I have had to send a couple of pairs back for leaking. Lately, I have had good luck with Zamberlan in an uninsulated boot. I think this will be the last season for my 800 gram Meindl boots. I have had them for over a decade and they are just now about to give it up. Based on my experience with the Zamberlans, I will be going that route for a replacement winter boot. Both have been stiff enough to offer great support on the steep stuff.

I have wide feet and most mainstream hunting boots have too small of a toe box. I have been able to get the Meindl and Zamberlan boots in wide sizes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have always had plenty of military issue boots to choose from - my insulated mil issue boots need replacement

Situation:
    hunting in Wyoming in October
    heavy dew in morning soaks feet - need to be waterproof - plus had sleet-snow last year
    over a 5+ day hunt, weather swings from hot to very cold - need to be insulated
    walking extended distances - need to be light as possible - (do they make a sturdy trail runner that is insulated/waterproof?)
    walking rough terrain - need some ankle support plus must not fall apart (built too light)

I would appreciate any suggestions based on experience. Worst case I will get another set of mil issue insulated boots but wanted to ask for feedback.

I'd go get a pair of Bellevilles. I picked up a pair of their ACU boots at a surplus store brand new still with the tags for 20 bucks last month.

I've posted this before but I work as a security guard in Colorado Springs. Almost every assignment I've had is foot patrols, out side on varying terrain on foot in all types of weather. I beat the hell out of my boots and the Bellevilles take it. They're gortex lined and you can get them insulated or not. I don't bother because they keep my feet warm even if I'm walking in snow.e

ETA to clarify, I've been wearing Bellevilles for 6 or 8 years I just happened to buy that new pair last month because I got a hell of a deal on them
    Last edited by Cypher; 08-04-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Insulated because we sit for hours glassing then move to the opportunity. It is a demanding challenge for gear - light enough to move long distances then heavy enough for warmth for sitting for a while.
    Gotcha. Keep in mind the plastic bag vapor barrier trick. It works very well for colder temp spot and stalk hunts.

User Tag List