Page 15 of 85 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Picture YOU'VE TAKEN Thread

Name:  35FBACB7-1F01-40BC-8CDD-8A91DCEAA777.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  96.1 KB

Devil’s Den and the Slaughter Pen, Gettysburg.
    Last edited by Lon; 08-17-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

A dog walk day in the mountains. A 15 minute snow squall. The sun was shining a few minutes after this and melted the snow.

Name:  IMG_0139.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  44.8 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-17-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Name:  35FBACB7-1F01-40BC-8CDD-8A91DCEAA777.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  96.1 KB

Devil’s Den and the Slaughter Pen, Gettysburg.

Lon, thanks for this - Gettysburg in general, with the Little/Big Round Top/Devil's Den area and especially the Slaughter Pen, are very close geographically to me and also close to my heart, ever since my first trip there as a Boy Scout....many years ago. If you haven't already, please read "Killer Angels," by Michael Shaara. He won the Pulitzer Prize for it in 1965. It was made into the movie "Gettysburg." I still get goosebumps when I visit there.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Lon, thanks for this - Gettysburg in general, with the Little/Big Round Top/Devil's Den area and especially the Slaughter Pen, are very close geographically to me and also close to my heart, ever since my first trip there as a Boy Scout....many years ago. If you haven't already, please read "Killer Angels," by Michael Shaara. He won the Pulitzer Prize for it in 1965. It was made into the movie "Gettysburg." I still get goosebumps when I visit there.
    Related to Gettysburg...some years ago I met a gentleman locally who was a retired Lieutenant Colonel from the USMC who was teaching outdoor skills at a local college.
    He told me that his family had a tradition of military service back to the Revolution and mentioned one of his ancestors who played a role at Gettysburg. (I read about him in "Killer Angels" and other books on the Civil War.)

When I found a picture of Brigadier General John Buford I was floored that the gentleman I met, (also a Buford), was the spitting image. I mean it quite literally.

There's nothing civil about this war.

So how do you post a "random" picture you've taken...? Asking for a friend...

In the meantime, here are a couple of non-random photos...
    Poncho hooch vic. Chipyongni, , Low Level Voice Intercept Team, 102d MI Battalion, 2nd ID, Team Spirit '86.Name:  Team Spirit 86 (2).jpg
Views: 448
Size:  103.5 KB

Then-Corporal Wi, my KATUSA assistant on ditto:
    Name:  Team Spirit 86 (9).jpg
Views: 440
Size:  86.6 KB
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Name:  A670609C-AEA9-4711-A92A-3CAEE0E8C529.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  50.1 KB

Cedar-strip kayak on Lewis Lake in Yellowstone:

Name:  _DSC3824.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  58.9 KB

You’re welcome. Read it, watched it many times. My favorite part of my trip to PA last month w my daughter. More pics here:https://www.instagram.com/p/B0lzSBng...d=nnhk9ov3692o
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    You’re welcome. Read it, watched it many times. My favorite part of my trip to PA last month w my daughter. More pics here:https://www.instagram.com/p/B0lzSBng...d=nnhk9ov3692o

I agree with your thoughts on the uniforms/heat. I've been in/on/around the locations where the battles were fought - on the same dates in July and was drenched in sweat with considerably less clothing on. When I'm sitting on those very same boulders anywhere near the 2 Round Tops and the Devil's Den and it's sooooo quiet, I can almost hear what must have been absolute hell on earth. What men they were - all of them! We have no clue. It's vital that our children and grandchildren experience these places. Kudos to you for taking yours there!

I agree with your thoughts on the uniforms/heat. I've been in/on/around the locations where the battles were fought - on the same dates in July and was drenched in sweat with considerably less clothing on. When I'm sitting on those very same boulders anywhere near the 2 Round Tops and the Devil's Den and it's sooooo quiet, I can almost hear what must have been absolute hell on earth. What men they were - all of them! We have no clue. It's vital that our children and grandchildren experience these places. Kudos to you for taking yours there!
    We felt much the same way at the Little Bighorn Battlefield in Montana.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List