Page 64 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Picture YOU'VE TAKEN Thread

Name:  A9B5834B-7B62-4B59-809E-D2370FE4D302.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  39.6 KB

What I believe to be a juvenile little blue heron. Saturday my daughter and I were at an event at the local state park and the naturalist told us there were some there, well north of their normal range.
    I went out later hoping to spot them. I tried to get closer but got the kayak stuck in shallow water.
    A little later I had a beaver swim across a few feet in front of me but I wasn’t able to get a pic. I might also have gotten a glimpse at an adult little blue heron but not enough to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NWshooter View Post
    Some pics from Seafair in Seattle this weekend.

Attachment 92747

Attachment 92748

Attachment 92749

Have some great video of them ripping overhead as well. Glorious day.
    Great photos. Do they still have the hydroplane races? I used to enjoy Seafair when I lived there. I had the runway duty (crash crew) one year in Pensacola when they were flying Phantoms. AB takeoffs were about 500 decibels from 300' away. I'm almost deaf from my 4 years in the Navy.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Great photos. Do they still have the hydroplane races? I used to enjoy Seafair when I lived there. I had the runway duty (crash crew) one year in Pensacola when they were flying Phantoms. AB takeoffs were about 500 decibels from 300' away. I'm almost deaf from my 4 years in the Navy.
    They still have the hydros, but so not the same.

I used to ride my bike down there and get on the straightaway for nothing.

Cousin brought in a keg when we got older, and people just had a great time.

Last time I went was about 12 years ago. Everything fenced off and no great seats unless you pay for them. Feels a little sacrilegious to do that, plus I’m old now. Haha!!!

But won’t miss Blue Angels and the air show that lasts all day.

Name:  963DCFCD-B3DB-4F5B-A25A-D77DBDC3A92B.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  37.7 KB

Took the kayak out again this evening. This bird was less shy than they usually are. I also saw four beavers.

Name:  7DFF002D-7722-48F9-BE89-C89A1A771DBA.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  25.2 KB
    I would have stayed later but I’ve misplaced my good headlamp.

Half Moon and the Lost City

The wooded part of the new house is a lost country we are slowly recovering. Back in those woods lie sidewalk, gazebo, seep fed stream, bridge, footings of bridges past, and stairways. All swallowed by laurel and blackberry gone wild plus felled trees dumped in the streambed to rot. First up was clearing 50 foot of dense, tall blackberry to get to the bank. Another weekend of pulling a couple hundred cubic feet of manmade beaver dam. Then a weekend of dredging another couple hundred gallons of twig and leaf debris and we have a flowing stream in place of a mulch swamp. Tiny but steady at about 1.3 gpm. Which brings us to this weekend and uncovering the stairs. Slow going work with parang, shovel, and rake (yes, I need to buy power tools!) and while we're not there yet, we're getting there...

Name:  stairs.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  Debris.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  105.1 KB
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    The wooded part of the new house is a lost country we are slowly recovering. Back in those woods lie sidewalk, gazebo, seep fed stream, bridge, footings of bridges past, and stairways. All swallowed by laurel and blackberry gone wild plus felled trees dumped in the streambed to rot. First up was clearing 50 foot of dense, tall blackberry to get to the bank. Another weekend of pulling a couple hundred cubic feet of manmade beaver dam. Then a weekend of dredging another couple hundred gallons of twig and leaf debris and we have a flowing stream in place of a mulch swamp. Tiny but steady at about 1.3 gpm. Which brings us to this weekend and uncovering the stairs. Slow going work with parang, shovel, and rake (yes, I need to buy power tools!) and while we're not there yet, we're getting there...

Name:  stairs.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  Debris.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  105.1 KB
    Just reading that makes me want to take advil. Looking good!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Just reading that makes me want to take advil.
    Me too 😉 I didn't even mention the ground dwelling wasp (or maybe bee's) nest I managed to stir up last weekend clearing a path behind a laurel stand I want to trim a bit (Need work room for the pole saw we're looking to order).

Picked up four stings but especially appreciated the one clever bast... umm, bundle of joy, that managed to get down my Wellington, up my pant leg, and kamikaze my calf. No plan survives contact with the enemy, especially when they appear out of the unaware nowhere. I ran like a knight from a killer rabbit...

Now the rational part of the brain says they're probably pollinators. They should probably be left to service the garden. But there's a little evil monkey part of the brain that says this means war and wants to rain death, destruction, and general demoralization of the saber tailed little buggers. Rational is winning so far and yet... 😛
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Me too 😉 I didn't even mention the ground dwelling wasp (or maybe bee's) nest I managed to stir up last weekend clearing a path behind a laurel stand I want to trim a bit (Need work room for the pole saw we're looking to order).

Picked up four stings but especially appreciated the one clever bast... umm, bundle of joy, that managed to get down my Wellington, up my pant leg, and kamikaze my calf. No plan survives contact with the enemy, especially when they appear out of the unaware nowhere. I ran like a knight from a killer rabbit...

Now the rational part of the brain says they're probably pollinators. They should probably be left to service the garden. But there's a little evil monkey part of the brain that says this means war and wants to rain death, destruction, and general demoralization of the saber tailed little buggers. Rational is winning so far and yet... 😛
    I once ran over a yellow jacket nest with my riding mower. They chased me around the house and I collected 13 or 17 stings, can't remember which, before I got inside. Terminated with extreme prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    I once ran over a yellow jacket nest with my riding mower. They chased me around the house and I collected 13 or 17 stings, can't remember which, before I got inside. Terminated with extreme prejudice.
    I stood one of my shooting benches up a short time ago to move it.

To my surprise this was under the end I stood up.

Got stung five times before I got away.

After dark it got hit with a can of wasp spray.

Name:  bee nest shooting bench 07022022.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  85.2 KB
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

User Tag List