Thread: Deaths in the ring...

Deaths in the ring...

Mods, feel free to kill this or move this if you think it shouldn't be here at all or in RR.

I just thought these 2 videos were interesting takes on the combat sports.

https://youtu.be/mtkDgSEzcPE

https://youtu.be/bAsSJQlhepY

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

When you look at the number of sparring rounds in training and the number of rounds fought in actual contests, boxers take a lot of shots to the head throughout their career. While ring related deaths happen in all divisions, it seems to happen much more within the lower weight divisions. I believe punch stats and punch power provide an explanation.

With few exceptions the number of punches thrown is relative to a fighters size. Stats tell us smaller fighters throw more punches than bigger fighters. Stats also tell us smaller fighters land a higher percentage of punches. It seems reasonable a division that throws more punches and lands more punches will experience more brain injuries and deaths.

Punching power or the lack of power plays a significant role as well. Regardless of division, there’s a small percentage of fighters blessed with true knock out power. Most fighters rely on the lucky punch or a cumulative effect of punches that resembles bludgeoning their opponent. Getting knocked out is never great for the health of a fighter but there’s a big difference between getting caught with one good shot and taking repeated shots for 10 or 12 rounds.

By the time a championship level fighter gets to fight night, they’ve had 8+ weeks of camp which includes 30 rounds of sparring per week minimum. Some old school trainers will have their fighter sparring 50+ rounds a week.

I’m surprised we don’t see more boxing deaths.

User Tag List