Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remington .357 125 grain SJHP--just an unpleasant experience

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I missed the memo...are we supposed to apologize for this now? Sigh...

(Short thumbs and pinkies too. You sure you're not from Brooklyn?)
    Yes. We are doing it wrong according to all the “got into revolvers after inventing AIWB a few years ago” folks.

I have just stopped caring. I cut my teeth on the things, carried and used them for real daily, trained with and was mentored by guys who proved themselves in multiple gunfights with them and I am apparently a dinosaur who doesn’t know Nuffin no more and stuck in the past. Cool, a cigar and a toast and have fun. I ll teach those willing to come and get the knowledge....otherwise the “influencers” can enjoy the limelight.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Yes. We are doing it wrong according to all the “got into revolvers after inventing AIWB a few years ago” folks.

I have just stopped caring. I cut my teeth on the things, carried and used them for real daily, trained with and was mentored by guys who proved themselves in multiple gunfights with them and I am apparently a dinosaur who doesn’t know Nuffin no more and stuck in the past. Cool, a cigar and a toast and have fun. I ll teach those willing to come and get the knowledge....otherwise the “influencers” can enjoy the limelight.
    Well, I'll be dipped...

Guess I'll have go pull out a Fuente and pour a dram. Cheers to us dinosaurs.

(I remember going AIWB in the early 80's, (pre-kydex), in my cordura holsters from Assault Systems and others.)

In my case it may actually be true that I've forgotten more than some of those pups (think they) know.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I missed the memo...are we supposed to apologize for this now? Sigh...

(Short thumbs and pinkies too. You sure you're not from Brooklyn?)

Something like this? (Not my image...glommed via google)

Attachment 40777
    In that attachment’s image, the shooter’s hand is much lower on the weapon than I hold. This puts axis of the bore much higher than I would want, enabling the weapon to exercise more leverage, making muzzle flip worse.

The web of my hand, ideally, right at the top of the back strap, is my way, not THE way.

I just snapped some quickie iPhone images; waiting to them to appear in this iPad, so I can use them here.

Edited to add:
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-03-2019 at 04:22 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    In this image, the shooter’s hand is much lower on the weapon than I hold. This puts axis of the bore much higher than I would want, enabling the weapon to exercise more leverage, making muzzle flip worse.

The web of my hand, ideally, right at the top of the back strap, is my way, not THE way.

I just snapped some quickie iPhone images; waiting to them to appear in this iPad, so I can use them here.
    I agree with you regarding the position of the (web) grip on the back strap but it was the only image I could find that was fairly clear. I was simply trying to illustrate the thumb lock, which is what I do.

Interestingly, it wasn't until your "apology" and DB's subsequent comment that I found out that we're all a bunch of knuckleheads who apparently don't know what we're doing. Live and learn.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The above close-ups are the best I can do while holding the weapon and iPhone at the same time.

Yes, with little guns, I do put that much finger on the trigger. K/L/GP100-sized guns get the “ideal” finger placement on the trigger.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    In this image, the shooter’s hand is much lower on the weapon than I hold. This puts axis of the bore much higher than I would want, enabling the weapon to exercise more leverage, making muzzle flip worse.

Edited to add:
    I agree. I hold so high up the back that I am almost riding the hammer on my bobbed hammer revolvers. Anything to gain leverage and bring the bore axis down. It also just feels better.

For my supporting hand, I use the Jerry Miculek j-frame grip for all my revolvers, wrapping my thumb around, even with the big ones. But that's just me.

Name:  Jerry2-6.gif
Views: 480
Size:  33.1 KB
    Last edited by Speederlander; 08-03-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    The Remington 158 SJHP fares pretty well in the tests I’ve seen. Enough so that I purchased several hundred bullets and load over 14.5 grains of 2400.

It shots comfortably and well out of my 66-7 wearing the original Uncle Mikes grips, which have become my favorite K-frame grips.

Caveat: this for carry out in the boondocks where a feral hog may show up and is not my EDC load.
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I think that would be a mighty fine edc load.
    FWIW, on those now-rare occasions I carry a .357 Mag, I load them with the factory load using this bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I agree with you regarding the position of the (web) grip on the back strap but it was the only image I could find that was fairly clear. I was simply trying to illustrate the thumb lock, which is what I do.

Interestingly, it wasn't until your "apology" and DB's subsequent comment that I found out that we're all a bunch of knuckleheads who apparently don't know what we're doing. Live and learn.
    I shot my SIG P229 pistols with weapon thumb down, by default, too. I would go thumbs-forward for precise distance shots. I normally trained with the idea that my support hand might well have other important things to do, such as hold a light.

I do shoot 1911 pistols thumbs-forward, and, at least in a range environment, tend to do that with Glocks, too.

Knuckleheads; I are one.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

OK, now for the GP100. FWIW, this one was my duty handgun, 1993-1995; then I switched to lighter-weight K-Frames for uniformed street duty. Notably; the weight is not just in the weapon, but in the dense polymer used to make the Safariland 070 duty holsters. I would continue bring it this GP100 to work as a “back-up” well into this century.

I am holding these weapons so high, on the backstrap, that I cannot cock them, with a spur hammer, without moving my hand lower.

Well, only one image has transferred to my iPad, at the moment. More may follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-03-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List