Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington .357 125 grain SJHP--just an unpleasant experience

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Side-by-side, I find American Eagle 158 grain SP (which is supposedly full power) more pleasant to shoot in my Trooper than the classic .357 125 grain load. It's very "snappy." Unpleasantly so. I think I will only shoot it in 6"+ revolvers with underlugs and carbines from now on.

I was expecting better felt recoil from my weighty mk.III. The 158 grain stuff was not too bad at all.
    It is not just the weight of the gun, but the design of the grip frame and whatever grips/stocks/adapters one uses, and, how the whole package fits the hand.

An example, for my hands, is the pre-Hogue-grip-era Ruger GP100 factory grips. On the same weapon, the rounded version is painful to use, while the squared version is one of the most comfortable grips I have used on any powerful revolver. (All GP100 revolvers have the same tiny grip frame.)

Then, there is how one holds the weapon. Generally, it is better to hold quite high, on the back surface of the grip. The barrel, when viewed from above, should be in line with one’s forearm bones. If not, well, not only will shooting be more painful than it should be, but cumulative long-term damage can can show itself later in life. I learned this latter part, the hard way, regarding big-bore N-Frames. (.22 LR is now my right hand’s only friend, among handgun cartridges.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-03-2019 at 10:58 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I see a lot of people in videos holding revolvers in strange ways...to me at least. Maybe some of the knowledgeable folks here could post a sticky on the best way(s) to grip one?

RE grips, I have an old Super Blackhawk that had Hogue or Pachmayr grips on it and it was unlpeasant to shoot until I replaced them with standard Ruger wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I see a lot of people in videos holding revolvers in strange ways...to me at least. Maybe some of the knowledgeable folks here could post a sticky on the best way(s) to grip one?

RE grips, I have an old Super Blackhawk that had Hogue or Pachmayr grips on it and it was unlpeasant to shoot until I replaced them with standard Ruger wood.
    I would, but all the new experts on revolvers have told me my grips is based on old wives tales and is outdated and if you shoot em like a Glock it works better. I ll just be smoking a good cigar, sipping amazing Texas whiskey and sitting with N frame Smith and watching how the gun celebrities do it.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

The Remington 158 SJHP fares pretty well in the tests I’ve seen. Enough so that I purchased several hundred bullets and load over 14.5 grains of 2400.

It shots comfortably and well out of my 66-7 wearing the original Uncle Mikes grips, which have become my favorite K-frame grips.

Caveat: this for carry out in the boondocks where a feral hog may show up and is not my EDC load.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    My Trooper wears Pachmyrs...
    Blasphemy, I say... Just kidding... Colt shipped many Mk III Troopers with Pachy's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I would, but all the new experts on revolvers have told me my grips is based on old wives tales and is outdated and if you shoot em like a Glock it works better. I ll just be smoking a good cigar, sipping amazing Texas whiskey and sitting with N frame Smith and watching how the gun celebrities do it.
    Shoot 'em like a Glock...well, that seems a bit dangerous to me?

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    The Remington 158 SJHP fares pretty well in the tests I’ve seen. Enough so that I purchased several hundred bullets and load over 14.5 grains of 2400.

It shots comfortably and well out of my 66-7 wearing the original Uncle Mikes grips, which have become my favorite K-frame grips.

Caveat: this for carry out in the boondocks where a feral hog may show up and is not my EDC load.
    I think that would be a mighty fine edc load.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    That's why every year during my tenure as the department's chief firearms instructor, more and more deputies would switch over to the 1911 from our issue M-66 loaded with Rem 125s. And yes, I qualified with them every year (300 out of 300) to show my people it could be done. Then I went back to carrying my Commander. (smile)

Dave
    Was that as hard on the K-frames as we’re always hearing?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post

I will try to snap some photos, soon, to show how I do it. Not the easiest thing to self-shoot, perhaps.

I have relatively narrow, but long hands, with short thumbs and pinkies, however, so what works for me will not necessarily work for others. There is room, on an SP101 factory grip, for example, for my pinkie.

I will warn, now, that I hold revolvers with my weapon-hand thumb locked-down.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I will try to snap some photos, soon, to show how I do it. Not the easiest thing to self-shoot, perhaps.

I have relatively narrow, but long hands, with short thumbs and pinkies, however, so what works for me will not necessarily work for others. There is room, on an SP101 factory grip, for example, for my pinkie.

I will warn, now, that I hold revolvers with my weapon-hand thumb locked-down.
    I missed the memo...are we supposed to apologize for this now? Sigh...

(Short thumbs and pinkies too. You sure you're not from Brooklyn?)

Something like this? (Not my image...glommed via google)

Name:  revolver grip.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  23.6 KB
    Last edited by blues; 08-03-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List