Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington .357 125 grain SJHP--just an unpleasant experience

Remington .357 125 grain SJHP--just an unpleasant experience

Side-by-side, I find American Eagle 158 grain SP (which is supposedly full power) more pleasant to shoot in my Trooper than the classic .357 125 grain load. It's very "snappy." Unpleasantly so. I think I will only shoot it in 6"+ revolvers with underlugs and carbines from now on.

I was expecting better felt recoil from my weighty mk.III. The 158 grain stuff was not too bad at all.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I just gave away boxes of both rounds to my neighbor when I sold him my 686+. Warned him (and his wife) to leave off the magnum rounds until they've got a bunch of time under their belts with plain old .38 special.

Both the rounds you mention are good ones, but even with the rubber Hogue grips on the 686+, I've drawn some blood, (on the webbing between thumb and forefinger), with the 125 gr after an extended session. My recollection is that the 158 gr were a bit more forgiving.

A nice practice round for .357 is the Fiocchi 142gr FMJTC #357F
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The tests I've seen online show the 125s are actually a pretty decent round. I'm surprised the bullet performs as well as it does considering the old design and the speed.

I need rubber grips that cover the backstrap to shoot them too.

Now imagine a time when that is what you shot all the time and qualified with.......
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Now imagine a time when that is what you shot all the time and qualified with.......
    I think when we were issued model 19's it was optional whether to carry magnum rounds or .38 +P, but whichever we carried we had to qualify with.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I've always strongly preferred a 158 to a 125.

Actually, I did, immediately afterward.

"That must have SUCKED!"

I would imagine shooting .45 Colt/.44 Special/mid-range .41 Magnum would be a relief after that.

Blues, in a k-frame, I think I would have been a .38+p guy, unless reduced power .357 was available.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 08-03-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    The tests I've seen online show the 125s are actually a pretty decent round. I'm surprised the bullet performs as well as it does considering the old design and the speed.

I need rubber grips that cover the backstrap to shoot them too.
    My Trooper wears Pachmyrs, but it seems like they need to be thicker at the top, or perhaps my grip is bad? I feel like a giant target grip would help. Mostly, I want more muzzle-heaviness to tame the flip.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    That's why every year during my tenure as the department's chief firearms instructor, more and more deputies would switch over to the 1911 from our issue M-66 loaded with Rem 125s. And yes, I qualified with them every year (300 out of 300) to show my people it could be done. Then I went back to carrying my Commander. (smile)

Dave

I used to enjoy shooting those through my SP101 but I was a lot younger then. I did just find a box in an ammo can yesterday, maybe I'll try a few soon.

User Tag List