Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Remington .357 125 grain SJHP--just an unpleasant experience

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Well, I'll be dipped...

Guess I'll have go pull out a Fuente and pour a dram. Cheers to us dinosaur's

(I remember going AIWB in the early 80's, (pre-kydex), in my cordura holsters from Assault Systems and others.)

In my case it may actually be true that I've forgotten more than some of those pups (think they) know.
    Hell, I remember before they started skinning those Cordura's to make holsters outa. We used to wrap a couple rubber bands (pure virgin gum rubber!) around the bottom of the grip so yer roscoe wouldn't slide down into yer slacks!
    Last edited by FNFAN; 08-12-2019 at 08:18 PM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Hell, I remember before they started skinning those Cordura's to make holsters outa. We used to wrap a couple rubber bands (pure virgin gum rubber!) around the bottom of the grip so yer roscoe wouldn't slide down into yer slacks!
    Yeah, that's how you could tell the detectives at NYPD. Model 36 with a bunch of rubber bands. We on the federal side were much more elegant by and large.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Any dinosaurs here remember shooting sp101s with the Weigand "tame the beast" hyba-porting? With any of the 125 gr sjhp loads, the gun would recoil downward. Blast was ferocious. My dad wore these clip-on sunglasses with his prescription eyewear, and the 125gr Remington in a hyba-ported 5-shot blew his flip up lenses off into the next lane. Good times.
    I think one of my fillings came loose just reading that.
    Last edited by Hi-Point Aficionado; 08-13-2019 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Me too! In the 2 1/4" SP101 that was my thing for a few years in the late 90's. I thought the 101 handled that load better than a K frame for whatever reason.

I didn't realize the loads penetration performance/reputation had been redeemed.
    If the shooter holds high, on an SP101, the bore axis is VERY low, in relation to one’s wrist and arm bones. Obviously, the energy has to go somewhere, but, at least, relatively little is directed in a way to cause muzzle flip. I used to fire some few dinosaur-stompin’ loads through my SP101 fiveguns, as an experiment, which made .357 145-grain STHPs seem mild. (The 145-grain STHP is a semi-moderated Magnum, as I understand it; not as mild as the “middle” Magnums, but not full-pressure, either. I am speaking in general terms, as I have not done the homework on .357 Mag loads since the 1993-2008-ish time period.)

In a way, the SP101 was my “primary” 24/7/365 weapon, starting some time in the late Nineties, after I bought my first, non-ported, Weigand Tame The Beast, and an Alessi ankle holster to match. I put “primary” in quotes, because it was not always the largest weapon on my person, but because it was my “always” gun, regardless of what other weapons, if any, were on my person. Obviously, my duty pistol would normally be the go-to weapon, if I were wearing it, at any given time, but when my first Glock-duty-pistol phase started, in 2002, the SP101 became my dominant personal-time carry weapon, and I quickly acquired another Weigand Tame The Beast, also without ports, and then soon added another stock SP101, with a hammer spur.

Yes, sometimes I would, indeed, be wearing three SP101 snub-guns. Well, I could get my pinkie firmly on the grip, for optimal control, and could shoot them about as well as the G22, so why not? I added yet another one, 3-1/8”, by the end of 2006, though cannot recall a time when I actually wore all four, while out and about.

Notably, my third and fourth SP101 fiveguns were hand-selected for smooth actions, from a number of samples at a local dealer. No tuning needed. (Who needs light springs, anyway?) Life is good.
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-13-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Any dinosaurs here remember shooting sp101s with the Weigand "tame the beast" hyba-porting? With any of the 125 gr sjhp loads, the gun would recoil downward. Blast was ferocious. My dad wore these clip-on sunglasses with his prescription eyewear, and the 125gr Remington in a hyba-ported 5-shot blew his flip up lenses off into the next lane. Good times.
    When I qual’ed/trained with a ported S&W Performance Center Model 19, in the Nineties, it certainly got the attention of the range officers; they hated being near it. My Weigand SP101 Tamed Beasts were non-ported; perhaps someday, I will get Gemini Customs to Hybra-Port a Ruger, for me.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I will get Gemini Customs to Hybra-Port a Ruger, for me.
    Nah, I think you’re good.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Nah, I think you’re good.

@Rex G, Do it, it will make your LEOSA qual loads of fun!
    Last edited by wvincent; 08-13-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

User Tag List