Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TX LEO shoots, kills woman while aiming for loose dog

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    We'll have to disagree on that one, as I've seen multiple instances of it not.
    I once worked with a guy who used to be a mail carrier. He told me stories of several instances of backpedaling while dumping an entire can of spray directly into the face of a charging dog only a foot or two away with little effect.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-03-2019 at 08:09 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Despite his being "pistol-forum", twelve posts in and little discussion has been made regarding the officers level of skill or training, lack of checking background, or the officers possible lack of critical thinking skills. Not to mention barely a thought for the woman who was actually shot. The focus seems to be almost entirely on the dog.

People and their fucking pets.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Despite his being "pistol-forum", twelve posts in and little discussion has been made regarding the officers level of skill or training, lack of checking background, or the officers possible lack of critical thinking skills. Not to mention barely a thought for the woman who was actually shot. The focus seems to be almost entirely on the dog.

I think most of us have withheld comments rather than MMQB without all the facts. It's tragic no matter how you look at the event.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Shot at a 40 lb beagle mix?

I think that's all part and parcel of the situation.

We should merge all dog shooting threads, because they're all the same.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fwrun View Post
    Repeat after me, “spray works well on dogs.”

Then again, I am the owner of a pair of beagles that charge (while loudly booing) at guests only in hopes of getting petted before the other. I’d be livid if a cop shot either of my dogs running at them to say hello.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    We'll have to disagree on that one, as I've seen multiple instances of it not.
    How does stream OC vs “conical mist” OC effect this ?

The last dog I had to OC was when we had the mist.

For planned ops dry chem fire extinguishers work well but that’s not a factor here.

I’ve seen one taser deployment on a dog and it worked well.

Honestly Officer / command presence works on most dog IME. The last one we had to shoot was a Rottie intentionally sent after us by the owner as we were arresting a relative for child sex offense.

Site Supporter

You mean like in the OP where I ask about training and rule 4 ?

The Officer is apparently a rookie who just graduated the Academy in February of this year but was a detention officer for several years prior.

Not to mention how much if this is a selection /retention issue ? If a 30# beagle mix has you so panicked you shoot at it without regard for your back stop and miss it is LE really the job for you ?

All indications are the dog belonged to the woman who was killed. In other words it was shot at for trying to protect its owner. Natural behavior for a dog.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I once worked with a guy who used to be a mail carrier. He told me stories of several instances of backpedaling while dumping an entire can of spray directly into the face of a charging dog only a foot or two away with little effect.
    I understand OC is the only option postal carriers have but dumping an entire can of OC, especially from that close makes the OC far less effective than prior application. Dumping the whole can of OC vs short bursts actually washes the OC out of /off of the target areas.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I understand OC is the only option postal carriers have but dumping an entire can of OC, especially from that close makes the OC far less effective than prior application. Dumping the whole can of OC vs short bursts actually washes the OC out of /off of the target areas.
    OC does not wash OC off. FWIW, I'm a chemical agents instructor and I've hosed a number of dogs down in my time. Never shot one. While short, aimed bursts that hit the target eyes/nose area are usually more effective than just hosing continuously, the idea that OC can wash off OC is contrary to my experience spraying dogs and parolees.

User Tag List