Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Preferred load for snubnose 38?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    Thanks for the link. It basically mirrors the results of my Clear Ballistics gel test. In addition it solidifies my belief that a .357 diameter bullet that expands to about .60 caliber and penetrates to about 12 inches coming out of a 1.87 inch barrel 38 special is not bad performance for a marginal defensive weapon. As an added plus your link shows that HST gets 10 inches of gel penetration after going through a car windshield. Not bad performance for a deep concealment non-duty back up gun. Of course it won't take out the engine block or punch through Level II body armor after penetrating a car door but I have realistic expectations for a sub-2inch 38 caliber snubbie.
    There was complete jacket separation on all three rounds fired through the windshield, with two of the cores deflecting entirely and not even hitting the gel block. One of the cores traveled down the wound track of another round from a separate test, coming to rest at 10".

That's not good performance by any means. That's quite abysmal, especially considering there are rounds available with objectively good performance.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    There was complete jacket separation on all three rounds fired through the windshield, with two of the cores deflecting entirely and not even hitting the gel block. One of the cores traveled down the wound track of another round from a separate test, coming to rest at 10".

That's not good performance by any means. That's quite abysmal, especially considering there are rounds available with objectively good performance.
    Well look at the bright side. It offers expansion AND fragmentation through windshields.

I think this has run its course....start something new in the ammunition section to continue.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List