Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preferred load for snubnose 38?

Preferred load for snubnose 38?

Inspired by the other thread, I am curious what folks carry in their J-frames and other snubnose .38 S&W Special revolvers. I will admit that I have typically given it much less thought than the ammo I choose for my 9mm and .45 ACP carry guns. My thinking has been that I am unlikely to get enough velocity for reliable expansion anyway, so it doesn't matter too much.

As I think about it now, this is foolish. Aside from expansion, things like optimal bullet weight, flash in low light, and ease of case extraction (e.g. nickel versus brass), all matter.

I have been vaguely thinking about experimenting with hand loads using various powders and bullets to see what kind of results I can get on the chrono, but it has not yet become a priority.

What loads do others carry in their snubbies?

Speer 135 grain JHPs. The "short barrel" load.

Winchester Ranger Bonded RA38B, 130 gr +P JHP in a S&W 642-1
    Last edited by blues; 08-02-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

JMHO:

First priority is that POI should equal POA for whatever distance you could reasonably anticipate shooting to.
    Everything else is secondary, including bullet type, bullet weight, muzzle flash & case material.

Then, whatever is on Doc's list for .38 Special that fits that above condition, is good.

My own experience is that Speer's Gold Dot .38 Special+P 135gr JHP Short Barrel load has the best precision and accuracy in my alloy frame S&W snubs, in my hands.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    I use Precision Delta wadcutters. I find them accurate from contact to 25 yards and are soft enough and cheap enough I order them buy the case. Due to the accuracy, price, and reliability I no longer load 38. I limit shooting my airweight to 100 rounds a week. When I leave the range I load the last five in the box. When I get to the range I shoot the rounds I am carrying. I am sure I should have better reasons but I don't know what they would be.

A friend gave me some 130 HST that I will try.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I use Precision Delta wadcutters. I find them accurate from contact to 25 yards and are soft enough and cheap enough I order them buy the case. Due to the accuracy, price, and reliability I no longer load 38. I limit shooting my airweight to 100 rounds a week. When I leave the range I load the last five in the box. When I get to the range I shoot the rounds I am carrying. I am sure I should have better reasons but I don't know what they would be.

A friend gave me some 130 HST that I will try.
    Thanks. What are your thoughts on reloads? Back when I had more free time and used to shot IDPA, I found that wadcutters were very slow to reload in a revolver because the shape of the bullet, which was pretty much all inside he case, did not lend itself to getting the speedloader aligned with the cylinder. Is there a trick to this?

130gr Winchester Rangers +p

2" barrel, 25 yards
    Name:  KIMG0749.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  31.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MattF. View Post
    What loads do others carry in their snubbies?
    http://www.black-hills.com/shop/hone...-honeybadgerp/

Last edited by ST911; 08-02-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

That certainly looks interesting. They claims 1275 fps on the website. It would be interesting to see what kind of velocity you actually get out of a 2" barrel. I highly doubt it is anywhere near that, but if it is, count me in.

ETA: If nobody knows, I am wiling to order a box and test it over a chrono. Maybe benchmark against the Winchester and Speer loads than have been suggested.
    Last edited by Gray Ghost; 08-02-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattF. View Post
    That certainly looks interesting. They claims 1275 fps on the website. It would be interesting to see what kind of velocity you actually get out of a 2" barrel. I highly doubt it is anywhere near that, but if it is, count me in.
    Velocity does not correlate directly with the ability to stop. Adequate penetration and rapid blood loss are the primary factors. And...there is no magic bullet!

Dave

User Tag List