Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Specs are out on the new Ford truck gasser 7.3 engine

Specs are out on the new Ford truck gasser 7.3 engine

Seems like a nice option for those that don’t want to deal with all of the diesel bullshit. Can it fit in a Mustang?

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/fords-g...ck-power-crown
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I'm a Ford guy if I have a choice. I was really turned off by them not having a V-8 and now have a RAM with a Hemi. I guess they are tired of losing all those truck sales to V-8 guys.

I can get over 20 MPG in my crew cab when cruising.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    I'm a Ford guy if I have a choice. I was really turned off by them not having a V-8 and now have a RAM with a Hemi. I guess they are tired of losing all those truck sales to V-8 guys.

I can get over 20 MPG in my crew cab when cruising.
    5.7?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Yep! 395 HP 410 TQ is good enough for what I need.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    Yep! 395 HP 410 TQ is good enough for what I need.
    I wish I'd gotten that engine in my Jeep Grand Cherokee
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Other points for RAM/Jeep/Etc.

The use the ZF auto trans, a great transmission.
    They have a great infotainment center.

I'd buy an EcoBoost version of that engine for my daily driver F150. Twice the displacement of my current engine with bigger turbo's sounds like fun.

I'm sure there are applications for it but I wouldn't buy a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with that engine. How well is it going to pull 10,000lbs of trailer, 4,000lbs of horses, 2500lbs of gear, water, and supplies through the mountains or even cruising at highway speeds with a strong headwind?

I also noticed it's a pushrod engine. Perhaps Ford is getting past that goofy mod motor and going back to something more practical and desirable. It needs to be offered in the F150, or at least a smaller-displacement version of it.

The torque numbers are impressive for a gas motor, especially at those low RPMs, but they come nowhere close to what the current diesels are putting out- 850 ft-lbs at 1800 RPM. I would think the need for a high torque gas engine would be reduced with the new 8 and 10 speed transmissions.

There is nothing wrong with a diesel if you maintain it. I have 120K miles on my Dodge Cummins and all I have had to replace is a fuel pump, $160. Ford has given diesels a bad rap with all their diesel problems over the years. Their latest 6.7 seems to be good but the 6.0 was plagued with issues.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I'm truck shopping right now. Just got off the phone with a sales person. I have to get rid of this Duramax before I do anything else. 100% unreliable. Back from the dealer 2 days ago with a new power steering pump. 12K in repairs in the last 2 years. The damn thing is self destructing with 135K miles. No more diesels for this redneck. If you tow more than about 7K you need one but we're selling the trailer. Diesel is rated at 600-800 FPT @1800 rpm. No gas engine can touch that. Pull a 6% grade for awhile with 8K and you will understand pronto.

Dodge seems to be kicking everyone's ass in sales. A friend just bought a new 1 ton diesel. No deals there. That always happens when you have a winner. Dealers have you by the balls because they go fast.

I think Ford sales are fine right now but they seem to have forgot about V8's in their 1/2 tons.

Now on the other hand you have Chevy and Toyota. Chevys sales are slow and Toyota flatlined a few years ago. Some good deals there right now.

After having multiple Chevy fails I think I'll hound the local Toyota dealer to see if they want to sell a pickup.

ADD. Chevy has become the 70's Dodge. Just sad.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-02-2019 at 01:32 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List