Thread: Trail Boss in rifles

Trail Boss in rifles

I thought some of you might be interested in this: https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/upl...-loads-r_p.pdf

Trail Boss is for light cowboy loads, but apparently you can load it in anything. I decided to test it out in my .358 Win Encore pistol. Because .358 is .308 necked up, the formula led me to the same starting load of 10gr. Recoil was, well there wasn't any. At 50 yards I put five rounds in a ragged hole, but POI was about a foot higher than POA.

I'll probably play around with it a bit more because I can only stand so much fun in one day with rifle caliber pistols.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

That may do well for a sub .308 Win load.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    I use it a lot in 308 with a 120gr 32cal cast bullet I've sized down to 311. It's like shooting a 22lr.

Chris

16.4 gr with a 300 gr Acme bullet gives me1273 fps in 45-70. It's like shooting my 45 Colt trapper rifle.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I've experienced great accuracy with Trail Boss in .30-30 and .308 rifles with both 110 grain SJHP and 150 grain plated bullets. POA/POI can be an issue I haven't worked out well enough to use for small game when the rifle is zeroed for my deer and elk load though.

I've also loaded 110 grain SJHP over Unique in my .308, and have used that to kill grouse, but I don't recall the charge weight.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    16.4 gr with a 300 gr Acme bullet gives me1273 fps in 45-70. It's like shooting my 45 Colt trapper rifle.

Gringop
    With a 405gr bullet, Trail boss is a real delight.

Quote Originally Posted by fwrun View Post
    With a 405gr bullet, Trail boss is a real delight.
    Amen, only way I actually enjoy shooting my Marlin 1895.

Site Supporter
    I love Trail Boss for making guns fun. I use it in my 308, 44 mag, and 35 Whelen. I used it in my 38specials, but that's already a pretty easy shooting cartridge, so there's not much point to it. I bought a 5lb keg of it several years ago when a shop in SW VA had it for $90. Wish I had bought both kegs. It's great stuff for recreational shooting.

Chris

User Tag List