Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: US Secret Service Adopts Glock 19 MOS Gen 5 in 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In days past, it took balls to pick Glock for a major contract. These days, it takes balls not to pick Glock.
    Allegedly, back in the day, all it took was for a major city chief or sheriff to get an invite to Glock's parties and, miraculously, a new contract would appear. The details of those parties are shrouded in secrecy and the offenders, I mean guests, are all long retired, so there can be no confirmation of the rumors of the presence ladies of negotiable affection and Colombia's finest export at said parties.
    Last edited by paherne; 08-03-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Allegedly, back in the day, all it took was for a major city chief or sheriff to get an invite to Glock's parties and, miraculously, a new contract would appear. The details of those parties are shrouded in secrecy and the offenders, I mean guests, are all long retired, so there can be no confirmation of the rumors of the presence ladies of negotiable affection and Colombia's finest export at said parties.
    SiG must have really pulled out all the stops at their parties for the Army and DHS contracts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post
    SiG must have really pulled out all the stops at their parties for the Army and DHS contracts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Doubt it. The world was a much smaller place in the late 1980's, early 1990's. Most people didn't have cell phones then, and camera phones did not exist. If you had one of those parties now, someone would have cellphone video, there'd be security footage, electronic records, etc. and word would get out. You can bet Glock would hire PIs to follow the principals making the decision to ensure SIG wasn't doing this. Industrial espionage is a real thing. If Glock or SIG could win a contract of the size of MHS by proving wrongdoing or criminal by the other side, they would.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In days past, it took balls to pick Glock for a major contract. These days, it takes balls not to pick Glock.
    With this heading in the USSS direction, I thought YOU might find this interesting:

Name:  SAFE Series Page 01.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  25.7 KB

Familiar concepts?
    "There are two ways to do most anything- right and again."

Tagged.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post
    Good question. Current FAMs issue pistol has no accessory rail.
    Yes, but that was adopted nearly 20 years ago.

Unless the FAMS do their own testing there are three striker fired 9mm which have passed various DOJ and DHS testing - Glock M/Gen 5 models, SIG P320 and the FN 501, a non commercial version of the 509. All have rails.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes, but that was adopted nearly 20 years ago.

Unless the FAMS do their own testing there are three striker fired 9mm which have passed various DOJ and DHS testing - Glock M/Gen 5 models, SIG P320 and the FN 501, a non commercial version of the 509. All have rails.
    Wow, I am surprised that an FN handgun passed.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Wow, I am surprised that an FN handgun passed.
    Apparently FN realized how bad their handguns sucked and brought in some talent like Tom V to make them right.

The 509 looks like the FNS but it is apparently Significantly improved. Passed the ICE testing (though SIG got the contract) and supposedly did well in the MHS.

I wonder how screwed Sig would be if they didn't get the DOD contract. Much like getting the Army contract in the 80's made Beretta acceptable to America's police departments, I'm thinking the same effect is going on now and keeping the P320 flowing into many (non-Federal) agencies. On the Federal side, almost everyone has gone to Glock - except for two agencies under the Department of the Interior - U.S. Park Police and the National Park Service. Oddly, other DOI agencies (FWS) have been Glock shops for a long time. It's going to be interesting to see who the BLM goes with - Glock or Sig.

I'm also guessing that the contracting process will never be the same. Because the acquisition process is so burdensome, if one agency gets something approved, the contract is written so that other agencies can buy it. Secret Service did this by buying off of the ICE contract and the Park Service did it by buying off of the Park Police contract. I suspect that any new contract for another pistol that can be bought by others will be tightly contested. I don't see Glock getting beat on price again.

As someone who works for an agency that went to the P320, it seems to be serving us well. Agency is buying Carry models in 9mm but allows individual officers to buy their own P320 in any configuration or caliber. The modularity is nice. As someone who has struggled to help the small-handed shoot better, the presence of a legit small grip module is heaven sent. When I needed a smaller pistol for a small handed shooter who is in an admin position, I simply requested a new gun from our armorer, ordered the compact grip in the small size and ordered a handful of compact magazines. I also replaced the sights with Trijicon HD XR because eyes get old. This "customization" had a minimal cost and did not involve the addition of any accountable parts - i.e. serial numbered assemblies that constitute firearms.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Can FAMS or USSS agents carry something besides the P229 off duty?

User Tag List