Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: US Secret Service Adopts Glock 19 MOS Gen 5 in 9mm

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Doubt it. The world was a much smaller place in the late 1980's, early 1990's. Most people didn't have cell phones then, and camera phones did not exist. If you had one of those parties now, someone would have cellphone video, there'd be security footage, electronic records, etc. and word would get out. You can bet Glock would hire PIs to follow the principals making the decision to ensure SIG wasn't doing this. Industrial espionage is a real thing. If Glock or SIG could win a contract of the size of MHS by proving wrongdoing or criminal by the other side, they would.
    Agreed. Glock used to bring chiefs etc of smaller agencies to Glock Smyrna for “factory tours” which apparently included the Atlanta Gold Club. We are talking about agencies small enough to have single point decision making.

That said 1) things were different in the past and 2) in bigger agencies there are two many people and too much paper trail for things like that to go un noticed.

In fact, the testing for the CBP contact USSS is buying the guns off of was not even conducted by CBP they contracted it out (UL labs ? ) Glock got the contract but SIGs 320 PRO series also passed.

SIG has gotten their hand slapped and some careers have needed due to shenanigans with DHS and the FAMS. that kind of thing does not (did not) go unnoticed at the Fed level.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-03-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Can FAMS or USSS agents carry something besides the P229 off duty?
    FAMS used to be limited off-duty to their P229 or a P230 in 380 by their regs. About 3 years ago their rules were changed to allow a number of "more appropriate" choices. I sold at least a couple dozen 9mm Shields (as well as a 40 or two) locally to individual air marshals and turned down a ton of trade-in 230s. To say that it was a popular reg change would be quite an understatement - it seems I had a line going out the door of my tiny shop about 15 minutes after they got the news! I was doing Apex triggers & Ameriglo sights for months afterward - good times!
    I've done work for a lot of Feds, but never any active duty USSS folks, so have no idea what modern USSS regs are like. The only SS agent I know rode with Kennedy & Johnson!
    Last edited by Buckshot; 08-03-2019 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    FAMS used to be limited off-duty to their P229 or a P230 in 380 by their regs. About 3 years ago their rules were changed to allow a number of "more appropriate" choices. I sold at least a couple dozen 9mm Shields (as well as a 40 or two) locally to individual air marshals and turned down a ton of trade-in 230s. To say that it was a popular reg change would be quite an understatement - it seems I had a line going out the door of my tiny shop about 15 minutes after they got the news! I was doing Apex triggers & Ameriglo sights for months afterward - good times!
    I've done work for a lot of Feds, but never any active duty USSS folks, so have no idea what modern USSS regs are like. The only SS agent I know rode with Kennedy & Johnson!
    Why would you turn down the P230’s? They have a decent used value (even in shit condition).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Why would you turn down the P230’s? They have a decent used value (even in shit condition).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree that they're great guns, but, around here, no one buys a 380 unless it's smaller than a package of TicTacs!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes, but that was adopted nearly 20 years ago.

Unless the FAMS do their own testing there are three striker fired 9mm which have passed various DOJ and DHS testing - Glock M/Gen 5 models, SIG P320 and the FN 501, a non commercial version of the 509. All have rails.
    Sorry, I misunderstood/misread your question.
    Last edited by Clark Jackson; 08-03-2019 at 08:24 PM.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Doubt it. The world was a much smaller place in the late 1980's, early 1990's. Most people didn't have cell phones then, and camera phones did not exist. If you had one of those parties now, someone would have cellphone video, there'd be security footage, electronic records, etc. and word would get out. You can bet Glock would hire PIs to follow the principals making the decision to ensure SIG wasn't doing this. Industrial espionage is a real thing. If Glock or SIG could win a contract of the size of MHS by proving wrongdoing or criminal by the other side, they would.
    The world may have changed, but it sure hasn't changed so much to preclude corruption.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Can FAMS or USSS agents carry something besides the P229 off duty?
    I was told by a USSS agent awhile back that they could carry anything as long as it was in the issue caliber. He was buying a GLOCK G33 at the time. Back in the day with the .38spl, J frames and Detective Specials were popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post
    The world may have changed, but it sure hasn't changed so much to preclude corruption.
    I certainly won't disagree with you on that point, sir. However, SIG came in like $75 million cheaper than the Glock bid. No amount of stripper lap dances is going to make up for a $75 million bid difference.

I certainly won't disagree with you on that point, sir. However, SIG came in like $75 million cheaper than the Glock bid. No amount of stripper lap dances is going to make up for a $75 million bid difference.
    Well....

When I was in the service, there was this one girl down in San Diego...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

How much is a gun NOT going off when you drop it worth? I'd say $75 million +.
    Last edited by Clark Jackson; 08-03-2019 at 08:53 PM.

User Tag List