Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: US Secret Service Adopts Glock 19 MOS Gen 5 in 9mm

Site Supporter

US Secret Service Adopts Glock 19 MOS Gen 5 in 9mm

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/08/01...edium=facebook

US Secret Service Adopts Glock 19 MOS Gen 5 in 9mm

Lookalike they are going with the CBP version and will purchase them off the CBP contract.

The 19.5 MOS will be the standard issue replacing the P229 in .357 but USSS will also acquire some G26 and G47s.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-01-2019 at 02:02 PM.

Whats wrong with the Sig 229 they use now?

Alternatively why not an M&P 2.0 compact?
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 08-01-2019 at 02:17 PM.

The .357 sig really is hard on the platform. So this could be a maintenance issue. Also the 9mm is just easier to shoot.

This is a good move.
    #RESIST

Since they're switching calibers, and therefore loads, any word on what their 9mm load will be? In years past, when they issued P228's, they were issuing 115 grain +P+ Remington.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    It's a legacy platform and since 2013 or so, SIG seems to have problems with producing their legacy platforms correctly leading to massive problems. The FAMS, who use the same gun, have had issues with their .357 P229s for the better part of the last decade and service lives averaging around 6,000 instead of the designed 40k+ rounds they should be lasting.

The Service doesn't shoot anywhere near as much as people think they do, but it's a simple fact: their P229s are getting long in the tooth and need to be replaced.

There's also no logical reason to continue using the more expensive, lower capacity, more blasty .357 SIG given the advancements in bullet technology and overwhelming scientific evidence (both testing and OIS street results corroboration) that the 9mm is just as good for the job.

The CBP lineup of pistols is probably the most efficient, effective and varied lineup of pistols available to federal agencies today. My agency piggybacked on the FBI contract for G19Ms, but we still had to find another contract to piggy back on to buy our Gen 4 Glock 26s (Gen 5s were not available yet) and the sights ended up having different POA/POI. The CBP contract gives an agency 3 thoroughly vetted pistols of varying sizes to fulfill almost any mission profile in federal law enforcement.

ETA: There are at least two guys on the forum that were part of the CBP contract, and the result of their work is outstanding. It's no wonder that another major agency is piggy-backing their work, and I fully expect to see more agencies do the same.

The M&P Compact has not been tested out rigorously like these Glocks have. It's a 100% pragmatic, responsible decision on the Service's part. 1) They are picking a gun that is thoroughly teste/vetted, and 2) They're picking a gun that was the decided winner from a procurement program, so there's little cost. If they wanted to do something else, they'd have to hold an RFP, accept bids, conduct testing & evaluation, etc. It would cost millions of dollars. If there's a preexisting procurement program/contract that they can piggyback on (such as the ICE, CBP, or FBI contracts), then they can just pick it and go.
    Last edited by TGS; 08-01-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Thanks! That was very helpful to both questions!

I believe they're buying off the CBP contract.

The M&P hasn't won anything in recent history, the 2.0 hasn't won anything at all.

I bet they get theirs waaaay before we get ours...

From my personal experience with the USSS guys, they are always a step ahead of the curve and really understand hardware requirements.

Obviously someone with some understanding made this decision.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List