Thread: RDS on a 9mm Commander 1911?

RDS on a 9mm Commander 1911?

Is anyone doing this?

I can't say I remember seeing any pics of or reading about anyone using such a setup. 2011s, sure. 1911s, not so much.

Dovetail mount, direct milled or optic plate mount (is there such a thing on 1911s?), not a race gun frame mount.

Anyone?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Is anyone doing this?

I can't say I remember seeing any pics of or reading about anyone using such a setup. 2011s, sure. 1911s, not so much.

Dovetail mount, direct milled or optic plate mount (is there such a thing on 1911s?), not a race gun frame mount.

Anyone?
    STI offered this on a single stack commander with their original HOST system before they discontinued single stacks.

Night hawk offers such a set up as well, I think Steve Fisher has run a couple different Nighthawk commanders with optics.

There are several different milling options for 1911s. Trijicon offers one for the RMR as do Nighthawk, chambers customs, and others.

If you look at the 1911 photo thread here you will find photos of a Colt WC CCO (commander slide, officers frame) which @theJanitor had cut for RMR by Nighthawk.

As HCM stated, mine was installed beautifully, by Nighthawk, using the trijicon plate and front sight.

Chambers’ one looks great, but after multiple attempts for a confirmation, I still cannot gat an answer if the milling can be done after sight cuts (Novak, etc) have already been made.

Wilson has their own system too, and might be working on customer guns already

Attachment 40675
    Last edited by theJanitor; 08-01-2019 at 01:43 AM.

Works great. L&M (https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com) has done some for me that were fantastic.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

No personal experience but am also curious, and had a nice chat with these guys at the NRA show in Indy

http://www.amerigunusa.com/

I thought their stuff looked nice, particularly the 1911 setup.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thanks! I knew there had to be something out there, I just wasn't tripping over pics like with full size builds.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks! I knew there had to be something out there
    They inferred they were an unofficial custom house for Trijicon (both Michigan companies), and seemed like a nice group of dudes.

I just installed a RMR Type 2 on my Dan Wesson V-Bob via Trijicon's own dovetail mount. I can't yet bring myself to cut up a 1911 slide. I'm going to give it some time shooting steel challenge to form an opinion. Trijicon's dovetail mount is designed for a Novak low mount, fits a bit loosely in the dovetail, but secures nicely with the three set screws. Tighten the rear center screw last or the elevation adjustment on the dot won't bring it to zero. I recommend this approach so you can experiment but still return to irons easily without butchering the slide.
    Real guns have hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    I recommend this approach so you can experiment but still return to irons easily without butchering the slide.
    I agree, I think the Ameriguns guys had a restoration plate type thing, where they could build a plate with a dovetail if you wanted to revert, it was one of the things that caught my eye.

Have no personal knowledge of them, just noting what I saw.

User Tag List