Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Press from Dillon--XL750

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    That was extremely informative, thank you. I’d been on the fence between a 550 vs a 650 for a while. I think, given budget and versatility, the 550 is an extremely hard solution to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One question would be if you already know how to reload. The 550 is not much different than learning on a single stage. One reason would be that you could run a single cartridge through, while the 650 would spill primers, but this new 750 thingy looks like you could do that also. The indexing would make a double charge a little harder, but that should not be relied on.

As far as price, consider the 650 without the case feed. It will be a little funky to drop a case each time (I would not use the whole tube) but not much different than the 550, IMO.

But if you have a bunch of cartridges to setup the 550 will be a bit cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    One question would be if you already know how to reload. The 550 is not much different than learning on a single stage. One reason would be that you could run a single cartridge through, while the 650 would spill primers, but this new 750 thingy looks like you could do that also. The indexing would make a double charge a little harder, but that should not be relied on.

As far as price, consider the 650 without the case feed. It will be a little funky to drop a case each time (I would not use the whole tube) but not much different than the 550, IMO.

But if you have a bunch of cartridges to setup the 550 will be a bit cheaper.

I have exactly 0 reloading experience. Given space in my house is limited, I need the most versatility that I can get should I decide to start handloading for rifles later while also pumping out copious amounts of 9mm for practice and maybe even start rolling my own .38 Spl wadcutters to save on cost for the J-frame.

Yes the 650 can do more volume, but I need the flexibility and learning experience. The 550 has a lower cost of entry as well.

Site Supporter
    I have been able to pick up used 550s in the Atlanta area through garage sales, etc. at cheap prices. I have great service from three 550s on my bench. I do not want to exchange primer systems so I have one dedicated to 9mm (small primer), one dedicated to 223 (small primer), and one dedicated to large primer and multiple rifle calibers and occasional 45 ACP.

I broke a 550 frame and Dillon swapped it out no issues.

I probably should sell a 550 and upgrade to a 650/750 for 9mm.

For pistol only, I am still a fan of the Square Deal B. Loaded many 9, 40, and 45 on SDBs.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Well, this got me up off my arse and I found a discount on an in-stock 650. I've been losing said arse with the time to make stuff right by trying to get a deal buying cheap/used shop equipment lately. New with factory warranty on this one.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

What @spinmove describes has 550 all over it [emoji106]

I have exactly 0 reloading experience. Given space in my house is limited, I need the most versatility that I can get should I decide to start handloading for rifles later while also pumping out copious amounts of 9mm for practice and maybe even start rolling my own .38 Spl wadcutters to save on cost for the J-frame.

Yes the 650 can do more volume, but I need the flexibility and learning experience. The 550 has a lower cost of entry as well.

My free advise (worth what you paid for it)

Consider starting by buying a decent reloading manual. Used would be fine*. RCBS manuals have a thorough explanation of all the reloading steps.

A single stage press is super useful and will really ground you in each step of reloading. (Crawl before you walk) For maximum performance loads, you'll want the single stage (or a turret).

A Redding turret is a gem of a press and can fill the gap between a single stage and a progressive. (Walk before you run)

Bad things result from poor handloads. Get good, then go fast (with a progressive). FWIW I've never cranked out ammo at the rate Dillon or other press vendors say you can achieve. Being careful will let you produce ammo that is at least as good as factory ammo.

*Check any load data with current vendor data. As an example, today's Winchester 231 is a faster powder than it was 20 years ago. Using old data could be... exciting.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    My free advise (worth what you paid for it)

Consider starting by buying a decent reloading manual. Used would be fine*. RCBS manuals have a thorough explanation of all the reloading steps.

A single stage press is super useful and will really ground you in each step of reloading. (Crawl before you walk) For maximum performance loads, you'll want the single stage (or a turret).

A Redding turret is a gem of a press and can fill the gap between a single stage and a progressive. (Walk before you run)

Bad things result from poor handloads. Get good, then go fast (with a progressive). FWIW I've never cranked out ammo at the rate Dillon or other press vendors say you can achieve. Being careful will let you produce ammo that is at least as good as factory ammo.

*Check any load data with current vendor data. As an example, today's Winchester 231 is a faster powder than it was 20 years ago. Using old data could be... exciting.
    I don't necessarily disagree especially about getting a good loading manual. Lyman 50th and Hornady 10th editions are worth a look. Lots of info on loading processes and some historic info and well.

With that said, I would probably skip the single stage press unless loading very few rounds and/or loading for something like your uncle's hunting rifle. For pistol or rifle practice ammo I'd say start with a progressive. It won't take long to figure things out. The learning curve might be a bit steeper but the payoff is certainly worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    start with a 550 - you can load one at a time if you wish to gain experience-confidence

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree especially about getting a good loading manual. Lyman 50th and Hornady 10th editions are worth a look. Lots of info on loading processes and some historic info and well.

With that said, I would probably skip the single stage press unless loading very few rounds and/or loading for something like your uncle's hunting rifle. For pistol or rifle practice ammo I'd say start with a progressive. It won't take long to figure things out. The learning curve might be a bit steeper but the payoff is certainly worth it.

Well, I just recently bought 4 shooting related books. So what’s 1 or 2 more. I won’t really be getting into handloads for rifles SERIOUSLY for a while. I’m currently starting to spin myself back into super competitive mode as I’m less than 3% away from hitting B class in Production and don’t plan on staying there very long. I’ll need FAR more practice ammo than I will rifle ammo anytime soon.

Well, I just recently bought 4 shooting related books. So what’s 1 or 2 more. I won’t really be getting into handloads for rifles SERIOUSLY for a while. I’m currently starting to spin myself back into super competitive mode as I’m less than 3% away from hitting B class in Production and don’t plan on staying there very long. I’ll need FAR more practice ammo than I will rifle ammo anytime soon.

Skip the turret press and/or manual index stuff then. Presses like the XL650 (750 now) and Hornady Lock N Load will serve you way better at this point. The turret press is fine for general quantity but if you're in full practice/competition mode you'll be much happier with something that is auto index. And learning the process isn't that hard.

User Tag List