Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: New Press from Dillon--XL750

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    Is this the issue with the 550 priming ?
    That's one of them...

It seems like the rod is sliding out of position and it's pushing that white roller into the thing the slider goes in and out of. I don't know how it happens because I can't get reproduce it. When I push the white roller into the slider the rod will put it back in the correct position as the handle goes back up
    Last edited by Mirolynmonbro; 08-26-2019 at 06:48 PM.

It seems like the rod is sliding out of position and it's pushing that white roller into the thing the slider goes in and out of. I don't know how it happens because I can't get reproduce it. When I push the white roller into the slider the rod will put it back in the correct position as the handle goes back up
    Best advice I could give you is to call Dillon, and send them this pic, tell them what you told me.. It could be the actuator rod you have isn't right..That's one of the problems with this system, is if the rod get a little out of wack and it starts doing odd things like this..I had Dillon replace one of these already, in the past, I had mine do what yours is doing, and another time the rod would slip out of the guide wheel on the primer bar, and flip up and almost hit me in the nose, When you start having problems with this kind of priming system, it can be a real pain in the ass to get it sorted.. It's going to be interesting to see how well this priming system holds up on the 750, with some high volume reloaders.. One other thing up could do, is to stand over the machine and look down at the rod and slowly push the lever down, watch how the guide wheel on the press, and the guide wheel on the primer bar interact, it could be the rod is a little out of wack, and you might be able to bend it a little to get it back..
    Last edited by ralph; 08-26-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Thanks for that, it gives a bit more detail...Looks like a 550 priming system to me, I don't see any real differences, and it probably has all the flaws of a 550 priming system, too. I have a 550, (had it since about '98-99, so I know what I'm talking about)and have had a few go rounds getting the priming system to run right..I'm still of opinion this is a downgrade.. The 650 priming system is, IMO, Much better, and runs with way fewer problems..
    I don’t know anything about the 550 priming system, but after quite a bit of aging, my 650 priming system has become very temperamental. I’ve broken a couple springs recently.

There shouldn't be any lateral travel in the actuator rod.

There are a lot of 550 videos here https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...r+feed+problem

550 priming problems as I've experienced them:
    -the housing for the entire priming system works loose in short order. If you tighten the screws that hold it too much, you'll cause feed problems or damage the housing itself. (I just had an idea that might help this. If it works I'll post it.)
    -the tip of the primer tube gets worn and starts launching primers, double feeds, etc. This can be fixed, and may have been in the 750, by using 650 tubes with brass ends.
    -eventually it's impossible to keep the primer cup height in the very narrow vertical window that works. The only fix is to call and beg Dillon for another primer slide.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Best advice I could give you is to call Dillon, and send them this pic, tell them what you told me.. It could be the actuator rod you have isn't right..That's one of the problems with this system, is if the rod get a little out of wack and it starts doing odd things like this..I had Dillon replace one of these already, in the past, I had mine do what yours is doing, and another time the rod would slip out of the guide wheel on the primer bar, and flip up and almost hit me in the nose, When you start having problems with this kind of priming system, it can be a real pain in the ass to get it sorted.. It's going to be interesting to see how well this priming system holds up on the 750, with some high volume reloaders.. One other thing up could do, is to stand over the machine and look down at the rod and slowly push the lever down, watch how the guide wheel on the press, and the guide wheel on the primer bar interact, it could be the rod is a little out of wack, and you might be able to bend it a little to get it back..
    I called Dillon. They said adjust the operating rod bracket and rotate the rod so it doesn't slide in toward the mount assembly. I will try that tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Skip the turret press and/or manual index stuff then. Presses like the XL650 (750 now) and Hornady Lock N Load will serve you way better at this point. The turret press is fine for general quantity but if you're in full practice/competition mode you'll be much happier with something that is auto index. And learning the process isn't that hard.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    +1 to this. I started reloading right off the bat with the XL650 and I immediately bought the case feeder. It was straightforward and simple to set up. The installation manual they provide is great. I got my press and dies set up correctly without having to call Dillon with install questions. I don't think it's necessary to start with a single stage. I actually think if you're a competition shooter, it would be more frustrating and time consuming to start single stage because of the time involved as compared to a progressive press.

The cost savings for buying the entire set up right away was mitigated in one year of shooting. I do buy components in bulk (5000 primers, 4-15 lbs powder, and 2000 bullets) partly for the cost savings of bulk, but I also like to have quantities of components on hand in case of ammo shortages. I started reloading because it was the second obama term and Sandy Hook had just happened. Ammo was scarce. It was nice to have what I needed to be able to shoot regularly.

Thankfully, my XL650 has served me quite well since 2012 or 2013 ish. **Knocks on wood** I haven't had anything break on it yet.

And, if you know you're going to start reloading at some point, it makes sense to begin to collect brass in advance of buying the press. I think I started collecting brass several months ahead of actually purchasing the press.

ETA: I'm very interested in this new 750 and am looking forward to hearing user feedback after having had it for a little bit.
    Last edited by Foxy Brown; 09-04-2019 at 02:40 PM.

This 750 is a whoooole lot faster and more fun to use with a case feeder. 😁

Any thoughts on these a year later?
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Any thoughts on these a year later?
    Ordered mine, with casefeeder and bullet feeder. Should have everything in 8-20 weeks--enough time to build a new bench for it and maybe even acquire a Double Alpha primer tube filler.

User Tag List