Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Press from Dillon--XL750

Info found on arfcom regarding the 650 vs 750:

Just spoke with Dillon about the differences between the 650 and 750... I don't have a progressive now and asked which he would recommend between the 2 machines.

- The 750 has been changed to a roller bearing design on the indexing plate that now has a cam profile that ramps up the start movement speed and ramps down before it comes to a stop to reduce powder spills. The 650 has a sharper cam profile that can cause powder spills in cases like 9mm and 223 that may be filled closer to the top (his words). He said you can see the plate slow down before stopping on the 750.

- The primer station is similar to the 550 primer station, except depriming occurs in station 1 and priming happens in station 2. This is to keep the crud from depriming away from where the case is primed.

- Handles additional cartridges. Didn't go into this further since it doesn't affect my buying decision.

He recommended going with the 750 over the 650 because of these changes. He didn't provide any downsides to the 750 when I asked.

Also asked him about the new case feeder vs the previous model. ($300 with one shell plate, $50 more than the previous model)

- New case feeder can be adjusted from 0-8 RPM. The previous model had a 2 speed motor 2&4 RPM.

- Adjustable window cuff and case deflector with different funnel that does better with small cases like 9mm.

- Universal power supply (like a laptop) so it can be used with 110/220AC in case you want to travel to Europe... (yah right)

- Mentioned something about positioning cases better, but I didn't really catch on to what he was saying since I've never seen one of these in action.

- They have stopped making the earlier model case feeder a few months ago, but there are still some available as inventory gets run down.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

$650 for the 750 or $540 for the 650? I think it's worth the extra to get the newest. Last month I was deciding between a Lee progressive, 550, or 650 and I decided to go with the 650. Now that the 750 is out I think that's the smarter move

Site Supporter
    750 addresses the aftermarket mods I did on the 650 while ensuring that the live primer feed doesn’t deposit them randomly throughout the room.

I’ll be getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I read elsewhere (not sure which of several threads on a couple different boards) there will be no conversion kit. But Dillon will sell the new frame & other associated parts for those who want to upgrade. What parts are the same & what are different is the big question. How much will be saved vs just buying new?

I still wish Dillon would have gone with a press that had an extra die station. It wound sure make things work better for people who want to run a bullet feeder and stand alone crimp die. Hopefully the new 750 will spawn some innovation over at Hornady and we'll see some updates to the Lock N Load.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Info found on arfcom regarding the 650 vs 750:

Just spoke with Dillon about the differences between the 650 and 750... I don't have a progressive now and asked which he would recommend between the 2 machines.

- The 750 has been changed to a roller bearing design on the indexing plate that now has a cam profile that ramps up the start movement speed and ramps down before it comes to a stop to reduce powder spills. The 650 has a sharper cam profile that can cause powder spills in cases like 9mm and 223 that may be filled closer to the top (his words). He said you can see the plate slow down before stopping on the 750.

- The primer station is similar to the 550 primer station, except depriming occurs in station 1 and priming happens in station 2. This is to keep the crud from depriming away from where the case is primed.

- Handles additional cartridges. Didn't go into this further since it doesn't affect my buying decision.

He recommended going with the 750 over the 650 because of these changes. He didn't provide any downsides to the 750 when I asked.

Also asked him about the new case feeder vs the previous model. ($300 with one shell plate, $50 more than the previous model)

- New case feeder can be adjusted from 0-8 RPM. The previous model had a 2 speed motor 2&4 RPM.

- Adjustable window cuff and case deflector with different funnel that does better with small cases like 9mm.

- Universal power supply (like a laptop) so it can be used with 110/220AC in case you want to travel to Europe... (yah right)

- Mentioned something about positioning cases better, but I didn't really catch on to what he was saying since I've never seen one of these in action.

- They have stopped making the earlier model case feeder a few months ago, but there are still some available as inventory gets run down.

Thanks.. you just answered my questions about the 750, I have two 650's and a 550, I'll be sticking with what I have, I will say however, after loading lots of 9mm, and .223, on my 650's, powder spillage is kinda of a problem, but it's not enough to make me buy a 750. Load larger calibers, and powder spillage is no longer a problem. Loading .45acp on my 650 for example is a breeze, it just runs, and no powder spilled.

I think the priming system is a downgrade, after dealing with my 550's priming system for 17years, about the only way I've found to keep the priming system running for extended periods is to spray the priming bar with Hornady one shot resizing lube..It's basically a spray wax, and it won't contaminate your primers, works like a charm.. The 650's priming system, is IMO much better.. The adjustable casefeeder is a wash in my book, I mean it's not going to run very much once the tube is full of cases, and when reloading it's only going to run long enough to drop a case or two down the tube, and shut off the casefeeder, so, I'm not seeing any real advantage there.. IMO, If Dillon is going to discount/discontinue the 650, and you're wanting a really good progressive press I'd get the 650..Not bashing the 750, but I'd wait about a year or so, and see what bugs pop up, don't be an early adopter..
    Last edited by ralph; 08-04-2019 at 07:09 PM.

I assume the case feeder is now standard production and is being used for that reason only. I assume the variable speed is only necessary for those processing on an auto drive.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I have exactly 0 reloading experience
    space in my house is limited
    maybe even start rolling my own .38 Spl wadcutters to save on cost for the J-frame.

Yes the 650 can do more volume, but I need the flexibility and learning experience. The 550 has a lower cost of entry as well.
    As I mentioned, you can just go get a 550 and start from there, even if it might be an evolution. I started with a 550, then got a second 550, then (easily) sold one of the 550s to get a 650, then got a second 650, but I think I might have a little bit of a problem. I may not drink as much as I once did, but this reloading press thing...

And a 550 has a pretty small footprint, at one point I had a small safe and a bench with a 550 and a Rockchucker in a utility closet that was only 6'x7'.

Loading 38s might even be a good place to start and get you mojo working. There is a huge cost savings on 38, and you could learn while not trying to serve the big volume demands of practice 9mm ammo.

My earlier comments about being on the fence between a 550 and 650 were from the perspective that people who can't decide, I say if they know how to reload they might consider the 650. From a cost perspective maybe consider a 650 without the case feed. It will be clunky, and you will at some point want the case feed, but until the 750 the 650 (I just bought one) was only $600 without the $300 (then) case feeder and I think the 550 was $340, so the dollar delta was not such a leap.

But what you describe is all 550, and I think you oughta start with 38 while you can buy 9mm ammo for cheap, in a month or two you can start loading 9mm. The straight wall 38 is even simpler.

Also don't (IMO) be afraid to buy Lee dies. The Dillon dies are very nice but the Lee's are cheaper and have a few advantages (again, IMO).
    Last edited by mmc45414; 08-05-2019 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    As I mentioned, you can just go get a 550 and start from there, even if it might be an evolution. I started with a 550, then got a second 550, then (easily) sold one of the 550s to get a 650, then got a second 650, but I think I might have a little bit of a problem. I may not drink as much as I once did, but this reloading press thing...

And a 550 has a pretty small footprint, at one point I had a small safe and a bench with a 550 and a Rockchucker in a utility closet that was only 6'x7'.

Loading 38s might even be a good place to start and get you mojo working. There is a huge cost savings on 38, and you could learn while not trying to serve the big volume demands of practice 9mm ammo.

My earlier comments about being on the fence between a 550 and 650 were from the perspective that people who can't decide, I say if they know how to reload they might consider the 650. From a cost perspective maybe consider a 650 without the case feed. It will be clunky, and you will at some point want the case feed, but until the 750 the 650 (I just bought one) was only $600 without the $300 (then) case feeder and I think the 550 was $340, so the dollar delta was not such a leap.

But what you describe is all 550, and I think you oughta start with 38 while you can buy 9mm ammo for cheap, in a month or two you can start loading 9mm. The straight wall 38 is even simpler.

Also don't (IMO) be afraid to buy Lee dies. The Dillon dies are very nice but the Lee's are cheaper and have a few advantages (again, IMO).
    And that right there is why I haven’t bought a reloading press already, the cost of 9mm practice ammo. Crunching the numbers on reloading costs (if I have to buy brass as well) I can reload 9mm for $0.01 less than buying a case of 124gr Blazer Brass. If I can salvage brass for free, then it’s worth it.

.38 Spcl wadcutters are a totally different ballgame where there’s tons of savings and I almost have a hard time NOT saving all the brass. So yeah, that’d be most likely where I start my reloading experience. Being able to flip and do 9mm on the side would be a bonus until I’m at a such a point in volume with 9mm that it doesn’t make sense to not reload for it.

I’ve heard that about the Lee dies and would totally be down for just getting those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    And that right there is why I haven’t bought a reloading press already
    I can save about $50 on 9mm, but that is buying components at volume, and not counting brass. But if you start with 38 you might turn around and decide it is also fun, and the next thing you know, you are buying a second 650 so you can form 300BO without disturbing your 9mm setup

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I can save about $50 on 9mm, but that is buying components at volume, and not counting brass. But if you start with 38 you might turn around and decide it is also fun, and the next thing you know, you are buying a second 650 so you can form 300BO without disturbing your 9mm setup
    Or by a 1050 to crank out 9mm and use the 650 for everything else.

User Tag List