Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: New Press from Dillon--XL750

I'd stay far far away from the Hornady LNL. I had one setup up with caliber swaps for 9mm, .45, 10mm and .223 complete with case feeder. It was alright at first but got to where it wouldn't seat a large primer all the way to bottom to save its life. They have since really upgraded the case feeder housing to not be a flimsy POS and it probably doesn't drop more brass on your head than it feeds down the tube now.

Hornady tried to make it right, there was nothing broken on it, it was just the nature of the design. Those monstrous cam links are too far apart and when you seated a primer the entire ram would rotate away from the priming punch thereby not applying enough force to seat. Bouncing off if you will.

I sold it with full disclosure and bought a 650. The build quality is vastly superior to the LNL. I won't be selling off my 650 for a 750 and the Redding T7 turret press sitting beside it is a beast. Super handy for load development and small batch rifle type stuff. I typically have a decapping die, a Redding GRx die and a couple of die sets in it ready to go.

I've had pretty good experiences with the LNL although I don't load much on mine anymore. It is currently set up to swage primer pockets using the upside down kit that Hornady sells. Much more consistent results with this than the swage kit for the 650.

My favorite Hornady press is the old Pro-Jector. I still have one set up for 45 ACP and it has just simply worked. I prefer its priming system with the pivoting arm since it allows me to see the primer as it comes across to the shell plate. I can stop and fix an upside down primer etc before it makes it all the way to the seating station.

The old shell kicker will occasionally bind on a case but as long as I'm smooth with the press it doesn't cause a problem and I can easily just pluck the round out and continue on.

The down side to the Pro is that there is no detachable tool head so changing calibers is sometimes time consuming. But it isn't a big deal overall.

Ideally I think Hornady should have done some type of tool head deal on the LNL. I don't really care for the bushing system they use now. Otherwise the press works well and I'm happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 08-07-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Got this from a fellow reloader who got it from a fellow reloader…….

“Among other things, it appears they have addressed some of the concerns/issues with the 650:

a) Beefed up the design of the case indexing plate to better support it. There have been minor issues associated with the 650 indexing plate including excessive flexure and a tendency to "snap" into place flipping powder grains out of short cases. I used to have the latter problem with reloading 9 mm cases on my 650, but recently had to get a new head for it due to a stripped thread insert (Dillon replaced it under warranty). The new head has superior alignment and this problem has been reduced significantly since I replaced it.

b) Use of a linear primer feed in place of the 650 rotary primer feed, which has been more vulnerable to "primer stack detonation" events. I have had one, as had another friend of mine.

I do not consider either of these to be major issues with the 650 press and I have been very happy with mine. It looks to be a significant version update addressing known design concern areas and likely simplifying manufacturing. It uses the same toolheads as the 650.”

Actual info on the new press starts about fifteen minutes in...

Titan Reloading estimates shipping XL750 on Monday or Tuesday

A guy on Brian Enos has one. It was delivered today.

I assume he's not unique. We should have some user feedback soon.

Got mine set up. Just need to check all the dies again before I start loading live rounds. The only change I had to make to the press was the case insert slide wasn't pushing the casefeed arm far enough to drop cases

A bit of info on the priming system:

https://youtu.be/uZRQTa0wYgw

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    A bit of info on the priming system:

https://youtu.be/uZRQTa0wYgw

Thanks for that, it gives a bit more detail...Looks like a 550 priming system to me, I don't see any real differences, and it probably has all the flaws of a 550 priming system, too. I have a 550, (had it since about '98-99, so I know what I'm talking about)and have had a few go rounds getting the priming system to run right..I'm still of opinion this is a downgrade.. The 650 priming system is, IMO, Much better, and runs with way fewer problems..
    Last edited by ralph; 08-26-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Is this the issue with the 550 priming ?
    Last edited by Mirolynmonbro; 08-26-2019 at 03:24 PM.

User Tag List