Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have experience w/ RUGER AR-556?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Aren't some of the Ruger's parts proprietary and not interchangeable with standard AR parts?

$700 can snag a nicer used Colt, S&W tactical, etc..
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Aren't some of the Ruger's parts proprietary and not interchangeable with standard AR parts?

I mean I wouldn’t mind adding more 6920’s to the harem, but she enjoys the 8” aero I already have and wants something of her own sooo the dilemma...

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    This is excellent, because in the world of AR... very little is made in house with many companies in the game. A lot of them are using the same suppliers for barrels, receivers, small parts, etc. The only makers I know of that do a lot in house are Primary Weapon Systems, LWRC & likely BCM.
    Though it’s interesting, I wouldn’t necessarily jump right to “excellent”. You’re correct, there are companies that produce components for a wide range of firearms companies. They’re made to the specifications of those companies. QA, finishing and then assembly is done in house. This is, often, where things go awry. As an example, FN makes barrels for PSA and Hodge. Should one assume that these barrels are equivalent? Are they necessarily even similar?
    I know that people have put together inexpensive rifles from PSA deals and ended up with functioning rifles. I sure people have functioning Ruger, Bushmaster or Delton rifles too. If that’s the threshold one is trying to reach, then rock on. If someone is looking for a properly built rifle that’ll function how it should, when it absolutely needs to, then I would at least take the time to see why some brands are recommended, repeatedly, over others. We should always strive to be informed consumers, especially when there’s so much snake oil in the firearms marketplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is excellent, because in the world of AR... very little is made in house with many companies in the game. A lot of them are using the same suppliers for barrels, receivers, small parts, etc.
    This is one of the most misrepresented bits of info in the gun industry. There may be many companies using the same suppliers, but they are often made to the buyers specifications.

The only makers I know of that do a lot in house are Primary Weapon Systems, LWRC & likely BCM.
    Daniel Defense and FN.

As far as Ruger ARs go, I think it was Will Larson, RIP, who had a few come through his class with abysmal findings.

Site Supporter
    If I could buy a used but like new one for $300 out the door, I would. But even at this price I would lose money if I traded or sold it to a dealer. For me one of these would be a beater rifle to knock around with and shoot stumps and dirt clod or any other similar imprecise targets. Serious shooters or those buying a weapon to keep would be wasting their money.
    Last edited by willie; 07-31-2019 at 09:13 PM.

IMHO not a deal or bargin.

If you watch for sales, you can find a Colt for under or just over $800.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    If I could buy a used but like new one for $300 out the door, I would. But even at this price I would lose money if I traded or sold it to a dealer. For me one of these would be a beater rifle to knock around with and shoot stumps and dirt clod or any other similar imprecise targets. Serious shooters or those buying a weapon to keep would be wasting their money.
    The FFL I use won't pay more than $125 for any of the bottom tier ARs that he takes in on trade.

Site Supporter
    This is excellent, because in the world of AR... very little is made in house with many companies in the game. A lot of them are using the same suppliers for barrels, receivers, small parts, etc. The only makers I know of that do a lot in house are Primary Weapon Systems, LWRC & likely BCM.
    BCM designers and assembles but doesn’t manufacture much in house.

BCM uses many of the same premium suppliers as SIONICS, SOLGW and Colt.

KAC, LMT, FN and to a lesser extent DD make most things in house but what they don’t make comes from those same premium suppliers.

That doesn’t mean that “parts is parts.”

Some suppliers are better than others with many cheap AR parts coming from overseas. There is a reason many of the aforementioned companies all use the same suppliers.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-31-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

This ^^^^

For $700 in today’s market you can find a good quality PD trade LMT, Colt, S&W (non sport) etc.

The P-F Long gun deals thread has a link to PD trade in LMT rifles for $700

User Tag List