Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domestic flights (USA) with trauma kit

Site Supporter

Domestic flights (USA) with trauma kit

Just checking if there have been any recent changes to what they are allowing in carry ons. I’ve got a Dark Angel Trauma Kit I’d like to carry on a domestic flight. I don’t have a decompression needle in it but I’m wondering if anyone has been hassled over trauma shears. I’m not flying with a check on so I can’t put them there. I’m fine leaving them home if it’s an issue.

TSA allows scissors up to 4" blade length, I have been traveling with a pair of Fiscars shears in my briefcase for years now. They never attract a second look.

I've always carried kits with me on board and never an issue.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Would a 7 Hook be less obvious than shears?

https://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-BLK.../dp/B0013QVC1Q
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Last month at the Providence, Rhode island, Airport - my bag was pulled for extra scrutiny. Ultimately, it appeared it was the trauma shears inside. The TSA agent asked me why I was carrying a trauma pack in my bag and my response was, “Just in case.” That was satisfactory and everything was good to go.

So to answer your question - yes extra scrutiny. But still not a problem.

I’ll note, I fly with shears, a FAK, and a trauma kit, all the time. First time in probably forty domestic and international flights, that I’ve been asked about the trauma kit.

Site Supporter
    Flow a dozen or more times with a trauma kit, sometimes as an ankle kit, sometimes I place the ankle kit in the bag. No issues or checks for the trauma shears, I have been pulled aside for the Rescue Hook which I was allowed to carry on with, the Rescue Hook just shows up as a dense piece of metal in the machine so they do a secondary check. Trauma shears are clearly blunt scissors.

Your experience may vary but I wouldn’t think twice bringing a trauma kit along.

Umpteen flights with various med kit configurations in carry-ons. Minimal to no attention, including items that could possibly draw scrutiny.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Ditto to include the needle. No issues.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I’ve carried a trauma kit in my carry on baggage for over 10 years. Domestic and International including Eastern Europe - only comment I ever got was from a Serbian customs agent who have me a thumbs up [emoji1303].

Site Supporter
    Thanks everyone. They were much more interested in my roll of quarters and resqme than my IFAK.

User Tag List