Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen 5 G17 - 10,000 Round Review

Glock Gen 5 G17 - 10,000 Round Review

My Gen 5 G17 just clicked over 10 rounds on Sunday. I thought forum members might like to see pics of the internals and hear about reliability.

Time period: April 4, 2018 - July 28, 2019
    Total rounds through the gun: 10:159
    The vast majority of the ammo has been American Eagle 124g.

Stoppages:

- 2 Double feeds - I could never trace this down to one mag.
    - 5X gun locked back with rounds still in the mag. These mostly happened during aggressive movement and inadvertently pushing up on slide release. Has not happened since I cleaned under the slide release lever.
    - 4 X Light primer strikes - this has happened too many times over the last six months. I do a ton of dry practice so I worry I may have rounded the firing pin. I have a complete new firing pin assembly on order just to make sure.
    - 1X failure to feed - I hit the slide lock lever too early during a reload and the slide road over the round just as the mag locked in. My fault really.
    - Too numerous to mention - slide not locking back on an empty mag during aggressive movement.

I replaced three parts on the gun; I installed a 3.5lb connector, a set of Dawson Charger sights, and I installed a new firing pin spring after light strike number three (somewhere around 9000 rounds). I had a light strike soon after I installed it so it likely wasn’t the spring that caused the issue. Who knows, it could be a bad batch of ammo?

Here are some pics of the wear on the gun after 10K rounds:

Pic of the interior of the slide, not sure what is up with the pitting. Looks like it was there before the finish was applied.

Breach Face

Slide wear. I have thousands of draws on this thing. I think this level of wear is minimal and perfectly acceptable.

Barrel Wear

I notice some peening on the safety plunger. I have many times more dry fire trigger work than actual rounds on this gun, but I’m not sure what would be causing this. Trigger pull is just over 5lbs still.

Magwell is not too bad considering the amount of reloads it’s seen, somewhere in the thousands.

Trigger bar wear.

Dual slide release leaver. See that black piece just below it? That’s a piece of the finish flaking off. I’m not too impressed with the finish on this part and to be honest. I also suspect the dual lever causes more problems than it solves (see malfunction report above).

Locking block looks to be in good shape.

I quite like the Gen 5 in it’s role as Production Competition Gun. It’s grip texture is excellent, needing only a little grip tape at the top of both side panels to complete it. It’s accurate; I routinely shoot low 90’s B8’s at 25 yards freestyle, and have my personal best with the gun; a 97-3X. I’ve shot some of my best Bill Drills with the gun, routinely posting clean sub 2 second runs. I made master in IPSC with the gun, when using the factory plastic sights.

I plan to keep running this gun through the rest of the season and most likely through all of next season. Hopefully the new striker will sort out the light strikes.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 07-30-2019 at 09:04 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    Is this a range gun or is this an edc? Either way thank you for the report and keep us updated.

Hammertime
    Great post!

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Is this a range gun or is this an edc? Either way thank you for the report and keep us updated.
    It’s a range gun.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Well done! Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I installed a new firing pin spring after light strike number three (somewhere around 9000 rounds). I had a light strike soon after I installed it so it likely wasn’t the spring that caused the issue. Who knows, it could be a bad batch of ammo?
    For what it's worth: this year we got a bad batch of Lawman 124 (our PD practice ammo) which included a bunch of failures to ignite; perhaps ATK had a run of overly hard primers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    For what it's worth: this year we got a bad batch of Lawman 124 (our PD practice ammo) which included a bunch of failures to ignite; perhaps ATK had a run of overly hard primers.
    That's what I was thinking too. Federal primers are the softest available, but given ATK's size, they could well have been using the same primers in AE as in Speer Lawman. The other usual suspect is crud in the striker channel, any evidence of that?

We’ve also had a rather large batch of Speer lawman 180 .40 with failure to ignite usually 5-10 in a 1000 round case spread across multiple guns (S&W M&P)
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The other usual suspect is crud in the striker channel, any evidence of that?
    Nothing to note, I only cleaned it once or twice, and there was never anything in there to speak of. Extractor gets dirty though and I recommend that gets cleaned every 3-4K.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    That’s possible I guess. I buy AE by the 1000 lot from the same retailer. Let’s hope that is what it is, but I’m going to replace the striker just to make sure.
    --

User Tag List