Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beretta 92X line

Site Supporter

The Beretta 92X

The Beretta 92X Full Size is a luxurious pistol to shoot. Installing a metal guide rod and 13# hammer spring make it more so. Its shorter Centurion brother has its own good traits, but is more challenging to master. But then, I'm new to this.

I am a 1911 guy, have been for years. But recently I've gone down the path to a higher capacity 9mm for serious use. I still like the 1911, but from here on it will be a gun I shoot because I want to, not because I need to. I need to shoot the guns I carry and rely upon. Not long ago I purchased a set of five Glock pistols and started learning about them. I like the Glocks -- they are almost like using an easy button. But I have a preference (i.e. "bias") for metal guns with hammers. Beretta's introduction of the 92X has made it tempting to go down another road of discovery, and I've given into temptation. If this new experiment with the Berettas doesn't work out, the Glocks are still a good choice to fall back on.

I now own a 92X Full Size FR currently serving duty as a nightstand gun. I also own two copies of the 92X Centurion GR, past versions being called the "Centurion G" model. I have a few hundred rounds through a couple of them, and have a JMCK AIWB holster for the Centurions and one on the way for the Full Size. Why for the Full Size? I'll get to that.

I really enjoy shooting the 92X Full Size pistol. The mild recoil impulse, modest muzzle blast, and overall shooting characteristics make it a joy to shoot. The weight up front provides just a bit more leverage for managing the double action trigger, especially with my TLR-1 HL attached. It is just a very mild mannered, well behaved pistol. Reserved, accurate, and steady and with its longer sight radius giving confidence to the shooter. The Centurion has many of the same attributes as the Full Size -- at least on the surface. But it is like a wild teenager compared to the more mature and settled Full Size. It somewhat amazes me how much different they are to shoot. Yes, with the same hammer springs installed the trigger is the same on both guns. But the Centurion is snappier to shoot and with more muzzle blast. Not bad mind you, but noticeably different. And whereas the Full Size is somewhat more forgiving of less than perfect technique, mistakes are amplified by the shorter Centurion. It demands the shooter's focus all the way through the shooting cycle in order to get a good hit on the target. Okay, yes all handguns perform better when proper focus and technique are applied. But I am pointing out the tangible difference between shooting the Full Size and the Centurion.

I ordered the holster for the Full Size because I want to carry it for a while to see whether it is close enough in comfort to carrying the Centurion to justify purchasing a couple 92X Full Size GRs for carry and training. The Centurion logically has a small advantage for carry in that it is a little lighter and quicker to draw than the Full Size. But honestly? There is something about how the Full Size 92X balances that makes it almost seem lighter in the hand than the Centurion. Hard to explain and possibly subjective depending on the user, but for me that's how it seems. The Centurion makes more sense for carry on paper but sometimes other more esoteric factors come into play when it comes to how two guns feel when shooting and carrying them.

I will post more when I get further down this path. So far it is both enjoyable and informative. And I don't think my reasons are frivolous so maybe this thread will serve a purpose if it prompts meaningful discussion. Please feel free to add your opinions, ideas, experiences, etc... if they are relevant and in the spirit of the topic.
    Last edited by Robinson; 07-18-2021 at 11:48 PM.

I have three of the 92X D model pistols that were released last year and they all are very comfortable to shoot; particularly with, as you point out, a steel guide rod installed. That additional weight toward the muzzle really improves the balance of the guns, to my hands at least. Here's a group picture of the 92X-D's along with a Langdon Centurion that managed to tag along to the range

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I have three of the 92X D model pistols that were released last year and they all are very comfortable to shoot; particularly with, as you point out, a steel guide rod installed. That additional weight toward the muzzle really improves the balance of the guns, to my hands at least. Here's a group picture of the 92X-D's along with a Langdon Centurion that managed to tag along to the range
    Nice. A pleasant surprise was that both my Centurions came from the factory with steel guide rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I am a 1911 guy, have been for years. But recently I've gone down the path to a higher capacity 9mm for serious use. I still like the 1911, but from here on it will be a gun I shoot because I want to, not because I need to. I need to shoot the guns I carry and rely upon. Not long ago I purchased a set of five Glock pistols and started learning about them. I like the Glocks -- they are almost like using an easy button. But I have a preference (i.e. "bias") for metal guns with hammers. Beretta's introduction of the 92X has made it tempting to go down another road of discovery, and I've given into temptation. If this new experiment with the Berettas doesn't work out, the Glocks are still a good choice to fall back on.
    I’m a big Beretta fan, so I won’t fault your choice….. However, if you like shooting 1911s, and you only feel a need to shoot your serious use higher capacity 9mm pistols, why not a higher capacity 9mm 1911ish pistol to fit both needs? The Wilson EDC X9 would be my first choice, and the STI / Staccato are also great options.

On the other hand, perhaps you’ll find joy in shooting Beretta as many of us have.

My full size GR has me back on the Beretta Bus. I’ll have to check to see if it has a plastic or steel guide rod.

I’m thinking hard about a Centurion as well but I keep getting sidetracked with other projects and wants.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    My full size GR has me back on the Beretta Bus. I’ll have to check to see if it has a plastic or steel guide rod.

I’m thinking hard about a Centurion as well but I keep getting sidetracked with other projects and wants.
    Yeah it surprises me how different I find them to shoot. I mean, the Centurion should be a no-brainer for carry because of its size. But man the full size gun is such a sweet shooter that it might override any size disadvantage it has.

Or, perhaps I will keep shooting the Centurion enough to close the gap in my ability to shoot them equally. That is one reason I started this thread, to see if others have a similar viewpoint on Beretta 92 series full size vs. Centurion pistols.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I’m a big Beretta fan, so I won’t fault your choice….. However, if you like shooting 1911s, and you only feel a need to shoot your serious use higher capacity 9mm pistols, why not a higher capacity 9mm 1911ish pistol to fit both needs? The Wilson EDC X9 would be my first choice, and the STI / Staccato are also great options.

On the other hand, perhaps you’ll find joy in shooting Beretta as many of us have.
    I was wondering if someone would ask that question, and it's a good one.

The two main reasons I went the Beretta route vs. a 2011 or conceptually similar pistol are:
    1) For a serious use gun I require multiple copies -- one for carry, one for home defense, and one for training/practice. The price of the three Berettas is so much lower than the price for three Staccatos or especially three EDC X9s.
    2) Longevity. If I do end up keeping the Berettas I am pretty confident parts will be available for them for the rest of my life, as I would be with Glocks and 1911s. I hope Staccato is successful and stays around and I'm pretty sure Wilson Combat will be there long term, but will the current model Staccatos and the EDC X9? Hard to say.

But yes I have thought about exploring those options as well. When it comes to the WC gun, $10K vs $2.5K for a brace of three pistols is a huge difference. Even the Staccato is more than twice the price of a Beretta. I'm not saying the guns aren't worth the money, but money is a factor.

I still shoot 1911s, but just because I like them. All of my real practice is with the guns I actually use or plan to use.

Old friend

Every time I take my commercial M9 out to the range, it's like welcome back old friend. I put in the "D" spring and that's it so far. May purchase a metal guide rod, this thread has me thinking. I looked up the serial # and it was made around 2007. The slide action and trigger pull have been smooth since day one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post

Maybe because you can buy several Berettas for the cost of a single Wilson or Staccato and the 92 doesn't suffer from any of the special snowflake issues in terms of aftermarket support.

I own five 92 variants and my Wilson Centac is my least favorite. Like the OP I far prefer the full size gun. I find the five inch far less blasty and whippy. But, I've had the same preference in any pistol I've carried, from the 1911 govt/commander, S&W 4506/4566, etc. If the 92X had been available when I bought the Wilson I probably would have chosen it instead.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-19-2021 at 10:05 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    The slide action and trigger pull have been smooth since day one.
    The smoothness of the slide action and trigger is something I really like about the Berettas. They have a feel of quality about them. Three brand new 92Xs and I haven't noticed a single flaw in them yet.

User Tag List