Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trading S&W Shield for Snubbie, Need Advice

Trading S&W Shield for Snubbie, Need Advice

I've decided to trade the Shield in on a small .38 spl revolver and from what I've read here it seems Ruger and S&W are the best options. The Ruger seems a little larger with a better trigger while the Smith's I have seen have that lock and a less friendly trigger.

I don't yet know the sight or stock options either.

What else am I missing?

Thanks
    Last edited by Redhat; 07-30-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I've decided to trade the Shield in on a small .38 spl revolver and from what I've read here it seems Ruger and S&W are the best options. The Ruger seems a little larger with a better trigger while the Smith's I have seen have that lock and a less friendly trigger.

I don't yet know the sight or stock options either.

What else am I missing?

Thanks
    You can get S&W 442, 642, 340 without the lock, if you don't mind the smaller, lighter end of the S&W line. They carry well AIWB, pocket, etc.

I've no experience with the smaller Rugers.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You can get S&W 442, 642, 340 without the lock, if you don't mind the smaller, lighter end of the S&W line. They carry well AIWB, pocket, etc.

I've no experience with the smaller Rugers.
    Thanks Blues, Will I have to look in the used section for that or can I get a new one?

Site Supporter
    the Smith's I have seen have that lock and a less friendly trigger.
    Every Smith no-lock J Frame has an individual SKUs for instance the M&P340 is 103072. Search for SKUs will reveal choices. Wolff 8Lb/14Lb spring combination, and extended firing pin, and some internal polishing and dry firing can match Ruger triggers.

Budget?
    Mode of carry?
    Caliber desired?
    Skill level?

You can go from low $300’s to $1K for the gun to start. Then any aftermarket gunsmithing will be more $$$.

A steel gun isn't much AIWB with a belt. Workout attire or PJ’s make lightweight more of a priority as does pocket carry. Same with ankle.

22LR, 22 Magnum 32 Magnum, 38 Special, 9x19 or 357 Magnum?

J’s and SP101’s aren’t difficult to work on. Internal cleaning and lube go a long way. Spring kits are available for either and relatively simple to install. Apex is very nice for the J. The S&W internal lock is not difficult to remove and replace with a plug from Original Precision.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Budget?
    Mode of carry?
    Caliber desired?
    Skill level?

You can go from low $300’s to $1K for the gun to start. Then any aftermarket gunsmithing will be more $$$.

A steel gun isn't much AIWB with a belt. Workout attire or PJ’s make lightweight more of a priority as does pocket carry. Same with ankle.

22LR, 22 Magnum 32 Magnum, 38 Special, 9x19 or 357 Magnum?

J’s and SP101’s aren’t difficult to work on. Internal cleaning and lube go a long way. Spring kits are available for either and relatively simple to install. Apex is very nice for the J. The S&W internal lock is not difficult to remove and replace with a plug from Original Precision.
    Thanks.

As I mentioned in the OP .38 spl is what I want.

I have a lot of experience shooting but little with small revolvers...not to say I've never shot one, just not often.
    Last edited by Redhat; 07-30-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Thanks Blues, Will I have to look in the used section for that or can I get a new one?
    New. The 642's and 442's can be had pretty inexpensively. Not so with the scandium framed 340. Depends what you need or want.

I carry a 642-1 (no lock) daily around home and walking distances from home.
    Last edited by blues; 07-30-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    New. The 642's and 442's can be had pretty inexpensively. Not so with the scandium framed 340. Depends what you need or want.

I carry a 642-1 (no lock) daily around home and walking distances from home.
    I'm a pretty simple guy, so no need for scandium or any other super-lite metals. My ability to shoot it well is top priority. My LGS has quite a few of the right now but all have the lock and that sounds like a deal killer to me.
    Last edited by Redhat; 07-30-2019 at 02:10 PM.

I'm a pretty simple guy, so no need for scandium or any other super-lite metals. My ability to shoot is well is top priority. My LGS has quite a few of the right now but all have the lock and that sounds like a deal killer to me.
    642-1 is a hair over 16 oz. loaded. All I've done with mine is paint the front sight, (and darken the rear notch with black Sharpie), and get a couple of good holsters for AIWB and pocket carry as desired.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/103810

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-internal-lock
    Last edited by blues; 07-30-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Site Supporter
    Give serious consideration to the type of sights you want. The less expensive S&W revolvers might not have the most visible sights under different light conditions, but have multiple options for Crimson Trace LaserGrips. Any of the Rugers will include nice, easily changeable sights. LaserGrips may not be available in the same variety of choices, which may limit their usefulness depending on your mode of carry.

User Tag List