Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilroy Garlic Festival shooting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Iranian / Italian...the two ethnicities I most identify with white supremacy.
    Mullahssolini ?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    The killer bought the rifle in Fallon, NV. The CA pols are already screaming about how this shows the need for national laws. CA representative Speier is using it to push a ban, as "one of 190 members of the House who co-sponsored a bill that would ban the import, sale, manufacturing or possession of semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices on the federal level." Note that possession would be banned, not just future sale. I expect that Nevada (now Dem controlled) will see such legislation next session, if not a special session called to take full advantage of the emotions of this incident.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/californi...212706909.html for source material.
    Dosen't suprise me a bit...It's always the firearm, never the nut that was using it..... People might want to put some thought into buying a few revolvers for the future, all it takes is a Dem controlled statehouse, and boom! You'll be packing a six gun if you're still allowed to pack at all..
    Last edited by ralph; 07-30-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Mullahssolini ?
    Perhaps.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

California is unfortunately the battleground of the 2nd Amendment and the Constitution... IMO the more we lose here, the more the whole country loses eventually. It's too bad we didn't have national support from free America to remove the cancers here as they pop up politically and legislation wise so the infections did not spread.
    Most of this country swears off California and it's residents yet the don't realize how fast their area can swing the same direction one major city at a time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    California is unfortunately the battleground of the 2nd Amendment and the Constitution... IMO the more we lose here, the more the whole country loses eventually. It's too bad we didn't have national support from free America to remove the cancers here as they pop up politically and legislation wise so the infections did not spread.
    Most of this country swears off California and it's residents yet the don't realize how fast their area can swing the same direction one major city at a time.
    I'd love to hear your plan for reversing the "jungle primary" system.
    Until then, it's prudent to fall back.

You're still free to join us. Maybe a border patrol checkpoint or two, for now.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    I don’t agree with this characterization.

It’s easy to sit back and claim rejection of the 2nd Amendment is a problem of bad politicians. Ultimately, the politicians are just doing their jobs of representing their districts. The problem is the average voter, which is a much tougher but to crack.

Protesting or walking into Starbucks with a Sig .45 isn’t the answer. Neither are nasty letters. Politicians follow whatever pleases the crowd, and it’s with them that the solution lies. When my non-gun owning , family raising coworkers instantly take the side of the anti-gunners it’s due to a failure of understanding. Why is it an anti gun argument works in 2019 when it didn’t in 1979?

Education. In 1979 ordinary people owned guns and knew better when the tailored- suit fella on TV said they should be banned .Today gun ownership is the domain of older & middle aged white guys. How we got to this sad state is a topic for another thread, but unless we educate voters on the ground - some brown, some female and oh shit maybe even “liberal” - about how guns REALLY work it’s curtains. We need Keanu Reeves to say guns are cool, not some old white haired guy yelling “come take it.”

Civil rights don’t die in committees. They die from ignorance.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

The lessons point both to freedom, if you are in favor of freedom, and to a loss of freedom if that is your goal. The shooter, I won't use his name, was apparently a resident of Nevada. The press consistently reports that he purchased the rifle legally, so he must have presented a proper identification and passed a background check since the rifle was transferred through a licensed dealer. I say transfer, because he purchased the rifle online. The media (my local news) and the left will brazenly repeat the falsehood that this is the "gunshow loophole", because he didn't have to pass a background check. Either they are deliberately lying, or deliberately ignorant. Or one feeds the other.

If you are for freedom, it is obvious that laws are only a barrier to those who choose to obey the law. It's against California law to import the rifle from Nevada, and its magazine. It is against the law to cut through the fence to enter the festival. It is against the law to commit battery and first degree murder. They will never address the point that criminals, by definition, don't obey the law. If he started stabbing people, or used a sword, there might easily have been as many dead and injured. Focus on the tool ignores the fact that he broke the law on the more serious issue of murder.

The left will focus on reduction of freedom and this is tailor made to push for a national confiscation. He couldn't buy the rifle in California, but he could in Nevada, therefore, Nevada should have California laws so California will be safe. And the same for Oregon...and Arizona. Unfortunately, Nevada is currently dominated by the Democrats. It isn't an overwhelming majority, so that offers the potential for some reluctance to pass draconian legislation, but we have a Democrat majority in the state assembly and the Governor's office. So I will not be surprised when they try to introduce more restrictive legislation. Which we won't obey.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Like.... Changing the legal age for buying firearms to 21, maybe?
    I'm surprised WA (or was it OR?) beat them to it.
    Washington isn't quite that bad yet -- the new laws impact a person under 21's ability to buy a "semi automatic assault rifle."

https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.240

I'll tip my hat to the officers who took him down, apparently in under a minute. At this point i"m not sure if they were Gilroy PD or San Benito County SO.

Correction

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I'll tip my hat to the officers who took him down, apparently in under a minute. At this point i"m not sure if they were Gilroy PD or San Benito County SO.
    That should have been Santa Clara County, not San Benito County. My mistake.

User Tag List