Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Fixed Blade Knife for Swimming/Water/Workout

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Hey, I dig that ARK. I could see leaving one clipped to my lifejacket all the time.
    Yeah, Spyderco makes some of the best, most thought out knives. They all look a bit weird, but it all makes sense once they are in the hand.

None of their knives are designed for looks/sales. Its purely a function driven design process, and they make a lot of small batch knives for specialized applications.

In the case of the ARK, its literally designed for soldiers to defend against shower rape in Afghanistan, so its designed to remain firmly in the hand when your hands are covered in soap and water.

Site Supporter
    That ARK is the nicest neck knife I have seen in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Yeah, Spyderco makes some of the best, most thought out knives. They all look a bit weird, but it all makes sense once they are in the hand.

None of their knives are designed for looks/sales. Its purely a function driven design process, and they make a lot of small batch knives for specialized applications.

In the case of the ARK, its literally designed for soldiers to defend against shower rape in Afghanistan, so its designed to remain firmly in the hand when your hands are covered in soap and water.
    I am absolutely a fan of Spyderco, and they are one of 2 knife companies whose products I have repeatedly purchased over the past 2 decades. However, I am having a hard time seeing the function of the hole in a fixed blade knife. It would not even slow me down from buying one, but what is the function?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I would imagine that is just a stylistic flourish as their folder designs all used that instead of the stud and it became such a signature Spyderco feature...

I don't know if they still use the line "designed in the dark" but I remember they used to take pride in the "function over form" aesthetic. But mine have all been good knives. That one really appeals to me - it's like a seafaring Clinch Pick!

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I would imagine that is just a stylistic flourish as their folder designs all used that instead of the stud and it became such a signature Spyderco feature...

I don't know if they still use the line "designed in the dark" but I remember they used to take pride in the "function over form" aesthetic. But mine have all been good knives. That one really appeals to me - it's like a seafaring Clinch Pick!
    It would be possible to sharpen the back edge of the tip. Maybe they could make a reverse edge version ?

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I am absolutely a fan of Spyderco, and they are one of 2 knife companies whose products I have repeatedly purchased over the past 2 decades. However, I am having a hard time seeing the function of the hole in a fixed blade knife. It would not even slow me down from buying one, but what is the function?
    It's just part of the branding; the hole in their folders is what got them to be so well known, now they put it on nearly everything because it says "spyderco!". Frankly it affects nothing in the use of the knife.

About the ARK, I have one and it's an excellent little knife. However, it's much more of a cutter than a stabber once you have it in hand (which may work really well for the OP and his use) due to the angle of the point compared to the center of the grip. The sheath I just can't stand; it's too big and the detent/thumb safety is a pain to operate. I understand its purpose (keeping the knife secure while on the neck) but a proper friction fit kydex sheath would have done the job just as well.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    It would be possible to sharpen the back edge of the tip. Maybe they could make a reverse edge version ?
    I imagine it's possible but the designer of the knife is (per the description) a classical FMA practitioner that thinks much more in terms of cutting than stabbing, as can be seen by the point to grip angle, and the company may balk at changing the entire philosophy behind that knife.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I imagine it's possible but the designer of the knife is (per the description) a classical FMA practitioner that thinks much more in terms of cutting than stabbing, as can be seen by the point to grip angle, and the company may balk at changing the entire philosophy behind that knife.
    In a small knife the point driven methodology Craig Douglas teaches ( stab in cut/rip out ) makes more sense to me.

I like big Bowie’s, the slash, back cut etc... methodology derived from European saber work seems effective with a
    9” - 12” blade. Dis-arming takes a whole new meaning!

I like point based methodology better with small blades.

I believe a lot of FMA seems based on machetes etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    The bio said Japanese Martial Arts. Which are based more on grappling and point-driven work than FMA. Most Japanese short blade work, like tantojutsu, use the edge to parry and the point to attack and riposte. It's less edge-driven more point-driven.

I'm not seeing the point-to-grip angle you're discussing. The blade shape is a clip point, but the tip itself clips upward slightly, which is common in blades held in forward grip meant for point driven work. For instance, a clinch pick held in forward grip the tip is angled up ever so slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The bio said Japanese Martial Arts. Which are based more on grappling and point-driven work than FMA. Most Japanese short blade work, like tantojutsu, use the edge to parry and the point to attack and riposte. It's less edge-driven more point-driven.
    I'll admit, I could have gotten that one wrong, yet I remember reading an interview with the designer (of course somewhere I can't find again) where he talked more about FMA than Japanese arts.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm not seeing the point-to-grip angle you're discussing. The blade shape is a clip point, but the tip itself clips upward slightly, which is common in blades held in forward grip meant for point driven work. For instance, a clinch pick held in forward grip the tip is angled up ever so slightly.
    In my hands, the point is even more angled upwards compared to a CP, I'd say it's nearly Persian in its angle. If you look at the photos, a page or so back, you'll notice that the handle isn't in a straight line with the blade. It's as if you had a straight handle and clipped point blade and you gave it to some circus strongman of the past and he bent it slightly right at the choil. The sheathed knife photo shows it best.

It's still an excellent little knife that, if you want to use it for defensive purposes can be used for point driven work, but the angle is not quite as good as a CP for that work. Of course, all that depends on one's natural wrist angle. I think some time ago, you mentioned that the CP gripped blade up was harder to make work for you than in a reverse grip (while it was the opposite for me). If I remember that exchange correctly, the ARK would be even worse for you in a hammer grip.
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 08-13-2019 at 01:04 PM.

User Tag List