Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Fixed Blade Knife for Swimming/Water/Workout

Here's a few examples of small fixed blades carried in a TD surf sheath. This works very well in the waistband, pockets, sleeve / cuff, watch straps, etc. Blade and sheath can be configured for use with or without a lanyard.

If that fixed blade is a must perhaps a Kershaw Guardian or similar with a bladerigs sheath?

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

So.....The important thing to remember is that non-stainless steel will rust in the tiny serations that are at the edge and make the knife dull....It has nothing to do with the side of the blade where we see rust.

In a live body of water meaning not a swimming pool the concerns.... at least for me.....are becoming entangled in organic or non-organic debris.....something that a knife might help me get away from.

A folder in a cargo pocket on a pair of swim trunks is a great way to carry a knife very discreetly if that's your desire.

A fixed blade knife in an ankle rig looks much less threatening than a tucked in fixed blade in a waistband with a little bit sticking out..... With the ankle rig you look like your real diver.

A folding knife is much easier to conceal looks less threatening and can be deployed relatively fast.

A serrated Spiderco salt is most excellent for cutting fibrous wet material in an emergency and if kept very sharp can be used as a reasonable self-defense tool. Also the blunter tip is a safety measure if used as emergency rescue equipment.... And can still stab quite well.

If a wave is important to you for one handed tactical opening or whatever people use them for get a VG-10 serrated endura or delica. They are rust proof enough and far better than using a zip tie in my experience.

Warncliff or near warncliff blade shapes like a delica, Pacific salt, salt, or Endura, are also far better for cutting in space..... If you don't understand that do some research it's pretty easy to find. The other option is a hawkbill which is fantastic for wet fibrous material cutting in an emergency situation and can still be used quite affectively as a self-defense tool.

Titanium knives were somewhat useful before the Advent of steals like h1 and LC200..... By those standards titanium is useless and very expensive.

The lighter the knife the easier to carry in a pair of swim trunks.

If the knife is primarily emergency rescue equipment meaning it could be used for rescue or self-defense.... by common standard terms......it should be a dedicated knife used for nothing else.

I’d like to roll this back to the reality that the most important aspect of hiding a fixed blade is the way you setup the sheath. Kydex offers great retention and plenty of flexibility so does bolatron.

A Spyderco Enuff Salt, with a 2.75” blade and full grip would make an excellent knife. The sheath is sturdy, H1 is bery rust resistant (remember we’re talking fresh not salt water). Add a kydex strut and clip or a discreet carry concepts deep clip, add a lanyard, practice drawing. Get down with your bad self.

To demonstrate how simple this should be I slapped this together in ten minutes this morning. My spare clinch pick, a DCC clip, a bit of hardware from my hardware drawer.

Name:  2FD5D115-C55B-486F-8DDC-6E61C71B5AF1.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  26.6 KB

You can see it clipped in the pocket of my fancy ass Kuhl shorts here.

Name:  7B2EA884-EEB0-4545-ACA9-03F66B95A0C4.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  28.2 KB

It’s carrying a knife, not rocket science.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I’d like to roll this back to the reality that the most important aspect of hiding a fixed blade is the way you setup the sheath. Kydex offers great retention and plenty of flexibility so does bolatron.

A Spyderco Enuff Salt, with a 2.75” blade and full grip would make an excellent knife. The sheath is sturdy, H1 is bery rust resistant (remember we’re talking fresh not salt water). Add a kydex strut and clip or a discreet carry concepts deep clip, add a lanyard, practice drawing. Get down with your bad self.

To demonstrate how simple this should be I slapped this together in ten minutes this morning. My spare clinch pick, a DCC clip, a bit of hardware from my hardware drawer.

Name:  2FD5D115-C55B-486F-8DDC-6E61C71B5AF1.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  26.6 KB

You can see it clipped in the pocket of my fancy ass Kuhl shorts here.

Name:  7B2EA884-EEB0-4545-ACA9-03F66B95A0C4.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  28.2 KB

It’s carrying a knife, not rocket science.
    I can send you an address so you can get that in the mail to me this weekend.

Thanks Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I can send you an address so you can get that in the mail to me this weekend.
    Sure, it's just gonna cost you a replacement. I'll take my replacement in this size, please.

It did occur to me earlier though - maybe the Benchmade SOCP? - 440C isn't too bad for corrosion resistance, especially in fresh water. You get a solid, low profile sheath (the only thing exposed is the ring). Added retention with the ring, which isn't really my thing, but within the water I can see it being quite useful for finding and drawing the blade. And a trainer in that combo for $125. You can see some different carry options here: http://survinat.com/socp-dagger/

There is also a single-edged version with serrations if legal issues prevent you from carrying a double-edged blade.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

It did occur to me earlier though - maybe the Benchmade SOCP? - 440C isn't too bad for corrosion resistance, especially in fresh water. You get a solid, low profile sheath (the only thing exposed is the ring). Added retention with the ring, which isn't really my thing, but within the water I can see it being quite useful for finding and drawing the blade. And a trainer in that combo for $125. You can see some different carry options here: http://survinat.com/socp-dagger/

There is also a single-edged version with serrations if legal issues prevent you from carrying a double-edged blade.
    My understanding is that the "double​ edged" version doesn't have much of a real edge to it, so I would steer clear of that if you were concerned about actually cutting anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Been playing at the lake with my little boys, looking for a blade I can clip to the waistband of shorts, stay concealed without a shirt. I can dry and oil the knife post water so not looking for stainless steel.

I remember there was a Bloodshark that had a deep concealment and BladeRigs as well. Anything I could just order now? Maybe under 2 bills?

Thank you.
    Spyderco Ark seems pretty much ideal for your requirement:

The ARK—or “Always Ready Knife™—is a purpose-designed personal-defense knife conceived by U.S. Army combat veteran John Shirley and his friend Sam Owens. While deployed to Afghanistan, Shirley learned that an alarming number of U.S. personnel were falling victim to sexual assault, particularly while showering. Drawing from his knowledge of the Japanese martial arts and with the help of Owens’ skills as a craftsman, they developed the ARK as a lightweight self-defense tool that can literally be carried anywhere.

The heart of the ARK is its deeply curved clip-point blade ground from H-1® steel—a nitrogen-based alloy that is completely immune to rust. The curved edge packs impressive cutting power into the compact blade and the clip-point profile ensures a strong, extremely sharp point. The ARK’s fiberglass-reinforced-nylon (FRN) handle is molded directly onto the tang and features Spyderco’s proven Bi-Directional Texturing™ pattern and an index-finger groove to guarantee a secure grip—even with wet hands.

To ensure universal carry, the ARK includes an injection-molded polymer neck sheath with a breakaway ball chain. Best of all, the ARK and its sheath together weigh only 2.0 ounces (57 grams), so you’ll hardly know it’s there—until you need it.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SPF...polymer-sheath

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Hey, I dig that ARK. I could see leaving one clipped to my lifejacket all the time.

User Tag List