Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Fixed Blade Knife for Swimming/Water/Workout

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If you want to get your inner James Bond on - get you a Tekna and strap it to your leg like Bond in Thunderball.
    I had one of those when I was sentenced to dive school. The senior instructor briefly made fun of it, then pulled one from his spare gear bag.

Here are some options ranging in size and quality but they fit your budget and can be deep sheathed fairly easy.

• Mission MPU-A2
    • Esee izula
    • Tops / Al Mar mini sere
    • CRKT scrub
    • CRKT sting
    • Angler Knives swimmer
    • Cold Steel secret edge
    • Winkler neck knife (previous gen - ebay / find new old stock)
    • Winkler defensive dagger (ebay / find new old stock)
    • Ka-Bar Dozier skeleton knife
    • Ka-Bar rambler skeleton knife

If you can get away with carrying a 9.5" overall length fixed blade, go for the Spyderco Waterway. It's made from LC200N steel and will offer fantastic edge retention (definitely outperforms Spyderco's H-1) combined with being near 100% rustproof. Search on youtube for some review videos, it was designed by a professional kayak fisherman.
    If concealment is more important, there is currently no finer small fixed blade (in my opinion) than the Bawidamann Muninn. But remember that it is S35VN steel so it might require some care around saltwater.
    The Waterway can be had for $130 at Knifecenter or BladeHQ, the Muninn will unfortunately break your $200 limit.
    Last edited by javemtr; 07-31-2019 at 01:22 AM.

I have a couple of the Spyderco Salt folders. I prefer a folder particularly in the situations you're talking about.
    https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/category/salt-series

I first bought the tiniest little Salt version they sell, and every day I ran on the beach I'd walk into the ocean at the end to cool off, then walk home and jump in the pool to wash off the ocean. I'd leave the little guy on the pool deck until the next time I went running, and did the same thing. The knife never rusted, the action never seized up, never had a problem. Made me a believer and I bought a bigger model after that. Now I carry that one whenever we go do water activities (beach, paddle boarding, whatever) and I don't ever do anything to maintain or clean it. Zero issues over the last 7 or 8 years that I've owned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    answers
    If you want a trainer to come with I'd recommend looking at the northman from amtacblades.com. Is a pocket sheath type setup although they have IWB sheaths available. That blade meets all your requirements.

On top of that, use in water is just par for course, make sure you use a decent lubricant on any blade taken into the water.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I tend to agree with Rob_S and others who have suggested folders if you want deep concealment. A Spyderco Salt is pretty easy to add a zip-tie wave to and with practice, you should be able to deploy it easily using the waistband. I've carried waved folders IWB many times before and with practice, the draw stroke is quite easy.

You could pick up a Spyderco Salt 2 (basically a Delica) and a delica trainer for your $200 budget. Fit zip-ties to both, that way you can easily practice your drawstroke.

___

I wonder if you might be served by something different. Maybe something like the Shivworks Push Dagger? You could fit a deep carry clip like the Discreet Carry Concepts Mod 5.1 and easily get the grip just at or below your waistband. Draw stroke would be like an AIWB pistol. Such a blade limits your positional choices for both the holster and the way in which you use and deploy the knife, but it would give you plenty of retention, even in the water, and as long as you can throw a jab and/or straight punch, it will give you plenty of defensive options.

Or he can go the 'Salt on steroids' way and get one of the Spyderco Caribbean folders. More substantial build due to G-10 handles and better steel (LC200N).

I had a Spyderco folder with the h1 steel in my pocket for years while working at sea. Zero rust. Kinda amazing actually.

I’m not seeing a great way to do fixed blade here. I’d go small, very light folder with deep concealment aftermarket clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    I’m not seeing a great way to do fixed blade here. I’d go small, very light folder with deep concealment aftermarket clip.
    Here's the blade / sheath combo mentioned by the OP. You're not going to grab a Bloodshark within the $200 or $500 budgets mentioned previously however, you can accomplish something similar within the $200 budget.

Name:  bloodshark-surf-sheath.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  101.1 KB

User Tag List