Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Fixed Blade Knife for Swimming/Water/Workout

Site Supporter

RFI: Fixed Blade Knife for Swimming/Water/Workout

Been playing at the lake with my little boys, looking for a blade I can clip to the waistband of shorts, stay concealed without a shirt. I can dry and oil the knife post water so not looking for stainless steel.

I remember there was a Bloodshark that had a deep concealment and BladeRigs as well. Anything I could just order now? Maybe under 2 bills?

Thank you.

My first thought is the Spyderco Salt - https://amzn.to/311UzVa Fit the sheath with a Discreet Carry Concepts clip or an Ulticlip.

That might be a little big for your intended purposes thought?

My second thought was the Terrain 365 Element series, either the Alpha or the smaller Bravo. Again, fit the sheaths with DCC clips.

___

Regardless of if you can oil the blade regularly, why bother when there are rust-proof options out there? The Salt is H1 extremely corrosion resistant, in freshwater, you'll likely never have a problem, even if you neglect it. The Terrain 365 blades are made of dendritic cobalt (they call theirs "Terravantium") and will never rust. Be aware dendritic cobalt isn't as hard as steel and thus is more likely to roll or bend if you beat on it, but it also stays working edge sharp for basically ever and is easily resharpened with a diamond stone.

I think the Terrain 365 Bravo would be ideal with a deep carry clip, like the Ulticlip. It's not too big, works in reverse or forward grip equally well. I ASSume you'll drop this down in the appendix region? You can get the Bravo in a few paracord color choices, maybe one that matches your shorts in case it rides up?
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 07-30-2019 at 12:47 PM.

I carried at least three cutting tools on me in my scuba diving days.

Sadly I’ve not been wet for a few years but I’d be interested to go look at some current offerings and see what I might suggest.

I will say stainless steel tools designed for constant salt water use aren’t, really, stainless in the sense that they won’t oxidize. They migh not rust if you get them into the rinse tank quickly after a dive lol.

The knives I ended up liking the best were easy to strip with no tools completely into separate pieces. My Wenoka Console knife came apart with a quarter, for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested in the suggestions for this, as I'm near the water alot, with the kids. Concealing a fixed blade without a shirt seems like a tall order. I would guess a plastic handled spyderco folder,with sort of deep clip would be easier to conceal and more comfortable
    Last edited by theJanitor; 07-30-2019 at 01:56 PM.

few questions...

1. $200 is your budget for this?
    2. exact requirements for the blade? Utility? Social?
    3. type of shorts/pants/etc you expect to carry with - belt/never a belt?
    4. type of training you have already with blades?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Spyderco makes a few different salt models. I use one as a dive knife and it's been great.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/category/fixed-blades

I ended up here:

https://www.amazon.com/Scubapro-Tita...ag=sddknife-20

Scubapro generally makes good gear. This blade is titanium, and might be pricier than you were looking for. But it is a fixed blade with clip. The line cutter is something you see on most dive knives; getting tangled in fishing line (typical dives are on wrecks, where the fish are, hence fishermen, hence lines) is a common issue under water. (They do work, as I can say from personal experience on a wreck off the coast of NC).

It's not clear that it disassembles completely, but a good rinse or better soak in fresh water should be ok.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-30-2019 at 04:13 PM.

If you want to get your inner James Bond on - get you a Tekna and strap it to your leg like Bond in Thunderball.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    few questions...

1. $200 is your budget for this?

$200 would be nice but I’d go $500 for knife, trainer, and kydex.

2. exact requirements for the blade? Utility? Social?

Realistically, utility with a social bent, not a tanto point but I am not that picky. Realistically, it would be for emergency use. Most likely scenario is a dog chewing on my arm or my kid, less likely mountain lion, even less two legged things.

Probably just be a magic metal stick that somehow makes me feel better.

3. type of shorts/pants/etc you expect to carry with - belt/never a belt?

Shorts with elastic and a drawstring, athletic synthetic REI type. No belt.

4. type of training you have already with blades?

Back in 2002 I took a 3 week intensive Kali class. I’ve taken a bunch of gun and a bunch of Medical and a bunch of fighting classes before the kids 4 years ago. My empty hand game is shit, my knife skills are probably close to that.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 07-30-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If you want to get your inner James Bond on - get you a Tekna and strap it to your leg like Bond in Thunderball.
    I have loved those since I was a kid.

User Tag List