Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: New S&W Shield?

Mine loves 147s a lot. Which is good, because so do I.

Quote Originally Posted by ed l View Post
    The first shooting sessions I had with it were relatively rushed since I had other guns that I was shooting so the Shield took second or third seat. Thus I didn't shoot the Shield beyond 7 yards.

The last two times I took the Shield shooting I shot it at further distances, and noticed that the gun seemed to be shooting to the left. At 50 feet the gun seemed to shoot about three to four inches left and about four inches low. At 25 yards it seems to be shooting about six to eight inches to the left about seven to eight inches low.

When I tried it again at 7 yards at a 1" dot, I noticed that it seemed to shoot about 2" to the left. I didn't notice this before since I had been previously been shooting at larger targets at that distance which made this issue less noticable.

Now the Shield isn't a full sized gun and it isn't fair to expect it to perform as well as one. The Shield has a short sight radius which at longer distances will magnify any minor sight misallignment. But I was expecting a bit better.

I am wondering what results other people are getting at distances in terms of point of impact.
    4 inches left and low means your probably milking the grip or have a small flinch.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    4 inches left and low means your probably milking the grip or have a small flinch.
    Pat
    This could be. However, if this is the case I seem to be milking the grip and possibly flinching with the 9mm Shield, but not with other handguns, including those in larger calibers like 1911s, HK45, USP40, all of which I can group in the head out to 25 yards (the furthest distance at my handgun range).

Quote Originally Posted by ed l View Post
    This could be. However, if this is the case I seem to be milking the grip and possibly flinching with the 9mm Shield, but not with other handguns, including those in larger calibers like 1911s, HK45, USP40, all of which I can group in the head out to 25 yards (the furthest distance at my handgun range).
    The Shield has a lot less contact area for the hands than 1911's, HK45's & USP's. They are obviously much slimmer, and all around much smaller. Combine that with the fairly heavy feeling trigger of the Shield, and you're bound to get different shooting characteristics. I have a Shield 9, and the trigger feels much heavier out of the box than any of my Glocks. I haven't had the issue that you did, but I can easily see how it would happen. Think of it as more of a trigger manipulation issue, not a flinch.

The new M&P Shield has garnered a lot of interest for CCW use. It is quite compact--with the flush magazine the Shield is approaching the size of a J-frame and that of many .380's.

Compared to a double stack 9mm, the Shield is much thinner.

It disappears when carried AIWB and can also be made to work for ankle and pocket carry. The Shield trigger is like a 6.5 lbs Glock factory trigger--a bit crunchy with a distinct re-set; I prefer the standard M&P triggers, as well as those with the outstanding the Apex Duty Kits. Out of the box, Shields feel very slippery and hard to hold for me when shooting--these pistols are just begging for grip tape or stippling. The Shield is wicked fast drawing from AIWB; at 7 yds, 1.25-1.35 sec draws with A-zone hits were routine. While the sub-compact Shield can be quite accurate even out to 25 yds in slow fire, I found it much harder to shoot both accurately and rapidly compared to a compact pistol like the G19 or M&P9c as the distance to the target increased to double digits. In addition, for me the Shield is much easier to shoot rapidly and accurately using the longer extended magazines rather than the smaller flush fit ones; likewise reloads are much easier with the extended mags--although none of the reloads were particularly quick with the sub-compact Shield as compared to those with the larger compact or service size pistols. I suspect if carrying a Shield I would run a flush fit mag in the pistol and use the extended ones for reloads. With the extended magazine in place, pistol butt becomes long enough that most of the Shields advantages are lost and I might as well be carrying a compact or service size pistol with the capability of mounting a WML.

Note that the .40 Shield is a no-go for me, as it is too hard for me to control the recoil when shooting rapidly--my splits are slow and my accuracy at speed is poor with the .40 Shield. While the 9 mm Shield could easily serve as a BUG, it does lack the advantage of a G26 or M&P9c in being able to use the standard service pistol mags already on the duty belt. While the Shield is now my favorite sub-compact pistol and is a far better choice than any .380, that is not saying much as I have little need for sub-compacts. For me, the Shield is mainly a niche weapon; for daily carry, I will stick with G19's or M&P9's and retain my J-frames as BUG's.

User Tag List