Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: New S&W Shield?

Looking great Tom, I'm gonna love mine, in a bug role and as a weak side training piece which I have been severely lacking on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    There is not a means to tweak, as shown, but I could add one without issue.
    I personally think if a holster can have proper retention without the need to add a tension screw, then it's a huge plus.

Tension screws are one more thing to loosen up / affect retention levels and possibly walk out and get lost.

For AIWB - I really don't want there to be a possibility of the screw, washer, or rubber tubing coming loose. With my luck, old man Murphy would place the free washer / rubber tubing right into the trigger guard area and cause an ND.

That's of course just my opinion. Many people love tension screws. Like the multiple versions of the AIWB holster fitting different people better (mentioned above), I've come to the conclusion that AIWB Holsters are a very personal thing. It depends on the user a lot, so it seems there's no universal "best".

Site Supporter
    Once I get my holster setup, I put loctite on the screw. It takes 2 seconds I don't have to worry about it coming out.

I'd rather have it, I'm fairly particular about the amount of tension I prefer, and don't want someone else deciding for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Once I get my holster setup, I put loctite on the screw. It takes 2 seconds I don't have to worry about it coming out.

I'd rather have it, I'm fairly particular about the amount of tension I prefer, and don't want someone else deciding for me.
    Well said. I feel the exact same way.

Volgrad, thanks for going through the trouble of the pictures and the write-up. Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by dickmadison View Post
    Volgrad, thanks for going through the trouble of the pictures and the write-up. Much appreciated!
    No problem. Hope the pics helped.

Re: Loctite on holsters (and grip scres) .... I too used to use Loctite pretty freely. That is until I wanted to swap out some kydex loops on a holster I thought I'd never change. The female part of the hardware had no notches so when I attempted to remove the screw the back just spun and spun. There is NO way it's coming out. I could drill it out but it's not worth all that trouble.

Also, I got tired of bushings coming loose on 1911s and most recently my Ruger 22/45RP from using Loctite to keep the screws tight. I just try to avoid Loctite now and just check the screw tension more frequently instead. Yes, I might lose a screw every now and again. No big deal.

On a tension screw I'd be leary of Loctite as well but for a different reason. Kydex holsters can loosen up over time, esp if exposed to extreme temps. I also notice that if I adjust holster A for my G17 I use in IDPA and then try to put in my backup G17 the tension isn't exactly right and needs to be adjusted slightly. The difference is more pronounced when I change from one G19 to another given my 3 G19s are two different generations and one was worked over by Boresight Solutions. They are all different.

Without derailing too much I can add a tension adjustment to the Shield and PPS small form AIWB's but my "base" if you wanna call it that does not include it. I like to think I hit 2 standard deviations of customers with out of the box feel. I got started doing this in my spare time because people who claimed to do custom work to meet the customers request did not do custom work or meet requests. It would be asinine for me to not do this at my current workload.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

That's fair enough. I mentioned it in my post, it can be a very personal thing. And a lot of Holsters have to have a tension screw, based on design. It's just my personal opinion to avoid them if the design can get away with it. Every so often I'll add them into whatever based on request, and some items really benefit from it (double mag carriers).

Vol - The natural progression is to add slotted posts then. Big advantage. And a better washer. But I wouldn't discount LocTite. There isn't a thing on my ARs that isn't loctited down. There's some weaker grades, and different application methods. I can only speak for us and our current product - but i see no need to LocTite it. I've got EDC gear that hasn't walked out in months, and I mark screws usually so I can track it.

if you didn't want to use locktite, you could always mark the screw and kydex with a thin line using a marker that shows up on your color of kydex, like many due with their optic setups. So every week (or how often you like) you could just take a look at the screw, see if the the line is no longer matching and adjust accordingly.

Sorry dude, missed this. Didn't intentionally ignore you or anything, especially since it was turning into a good discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That's an interesting observation considering the first Kahr's weren't pocket pistols.
    And HK was originally making sewing machines... I admittedly do not know the history of Kahr, and don't feel like I need to know it to understand the market they control currently.

The difference is that a mag release is a button (or switch on HK/Walther), and the purchase with a finger is pretty secure. The actual movement of pressing the mag release is also pretty intuitive.
    It's only intuitive because you've done it so many times. Mess with a safety enough, and you learn it. I'm in the "no safety" camp - just to be clear again.

A safety has a greater amount of resistance, a "click", that you need to get past compared to the push of a button. Due to the small size of the gun with a lot of designs, this makes the placement of the safety and operation of it less natural for the thumb. Compared to a 1911 safety, I've also found most small pistols require to use some odd placement or contortion of the thumb, which is what really makes it shitty.
    A slide stop could arguably be considered the same motion, but you hit it on the head with most pistols (regardless of size) having poorly placed safeties. There's the obvious ones like Beretta, but even HKs are pretty far back. The M&P line, for me, is second only to the 1911 safety (as far as pistols go).

If small safety levers were sweet, then we wouldn't have the generously sized 1911 safety levers we have today, and we would still be walking around with the original design.
    It's not that they are sweet, it's that the Shield is trying to fill the pocket pistol role as well as the BUG role, and even primary CCW role. The big brother M&Ps have generously sized thumb safeties - very reminiscent of 1911 extended thumb safeties. But you wouldn't want this on a pocket pistol. So SW didn't change the position of the safety, they just made it smaller. I can get on that.

In any case, you wondered about why people don't like small safety levers. That's why, whether you agree or not.
    I didn't wonder that at all. I wondered why some people are completely dismissing a pistol, that in my opinion, is the best in its class, simply because it has a safety. The safety is well placed, well designed, and pretty intuitive to disengage. And I truly believe that the safety was absolutely NECESSARY for SW to release the Shield with the trigger configuration it has currently. If they didn't include a safety, I think it's safe to assume we'd see a long, heavy DAO pull with long reset. So that being the case, I would MUCH prefer dealing with a safety rather than a Kahr / SW Revo style trigger.

I'm not big on safeties. My primary EDC is a G19. None of my primary carry guns have safeties. I don't like them. But I completely understand why SW put one on the Shield. I have pocket carried my Shield. I wouldn't have pocket carried it if the safety didn't exist. Other then those couple times pocket carrying it, it's been used in a BUG role or rarely as a primary. I carry it safety off when holstered. But I have nearly 1k (not bragging, I know this number is small) through the gun since picking it up, and every 1-8 rounds were fired from safety ON (always train with it on). So in probably 200 live fire draws, I have not failed to disengage the safety. The kicker is that because the safety (or at least mine) appears to be designed to come off more easily than go on, it is almost impossible for the safety to be engaged when carrying off-safe.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you own at least one Kahr. If so, I'd strongly recommend finding a Shield and putting some work in with it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Don't let the safety scare you off from a great little pistol. The safety can be carried OFF, isn't easily engaged, is placed in a very intuitive position (close to a 1911), and allows the trigger to be (my opinion of course) the best of the "pocket pistols" / single stack sub compact pistols. That's without doing any trigger work, courtesy of APEX, which would then turn it into a different animal.

Killer avatar by the way. Love the Sach.

User Tag List