Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: New S&W Shield?

I guess I am caught up in the hype and put money down at a dealer for the next 9mm shield they get in stock. So far I have handled a 9mm Shield that was the store's demo model and a .40 Cal shield that I was not interested in because of its caliber.

So I put a deposit on one at my local gun store for the next 9mm shield that they get in. Right now there seems to be a roulette wheel allocation system to dealers and the guns get snatched up as soon as they arrive.

For $400 I can gamble on it. Maybe not the smartest thing to do with a gun that you have never fired, especially when you are the type of person who accumulate guns and rarely sell them unless you really don't like them or really need the money.

I would like to try it in a smart carry and/or a High Noon Public Secret Holster in appendix carry. I tried the store copy in a pocket holster and the gun seemed too big & too angular for this mode of carry.

So at this point I am not sure exactly where the M&P Shield will fit into my carry lineup. In my current carry lineup I carry a Kahr PM-9 in a pocket holster in dress slacks at work. I don't use it with the extended mag, since that makes it print more and makes it more difficult to clear the pocket when drawing, especially if doing so from a less than perfect position.

If I am not at work I typically carry a j-frame in a strong side pocket holster and a Glock 19 IWB behind my right hip. I prefer the J-frame to the Kahr because the J-frame's grip is more positive to get my hand on than the Kahr PM-9, and the curve on the back of the J-frame is angled so that it will clear the pocket if being drawn from an awkward position where the square back of the Kahr might snag. I've managed to draw a bluegun replica of the Jframe while mounted in a training drill, whereas a gun with a squarer back might have been an issue.

I'm not dissing the Kahr trigger by anymeans. For a DAO style trigger, Kahrs and SW revolvers are very good. But the Shield having a safety allows it to have a light break, minimal creep, short reset without being "unsafe". Kahrs have the style trigger they have because they are "pocket pistols" - so it's very close to a revo trigger. But if you put the average switched on shooter on a timer with a Shield and a Kahr, I think the Shield would do universally better than the Kahr. It's like comparing my 19 to my K Frame - they both have good triggers, but the 19 is definitely more shootable.

Yea, I have to eat my words on the safety. MY safety is nearly impossible to not disengage with a proper grip, but I've come across a few other Shields that were much tougher to disengage the safety. Typical SW - the samples perform differently.

But on that note - the safety IS there. So whether you carry with it on or off, you should be training with it ON and always train to disengage it.

I have to put it out there in regards to "small controls". Like LAV always says, you never hear about folks having a hard time hitting a mag release under stress. To be clear though, I would have preferred the Shield to NOT have a safety. But given the choice between it's current format or no safety with a revo style DAO trigger, I'd definitely train around the safety.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'll be honest....you're the first person I've ever seen who has dissed the Kahr trigger.

Now I can't speak for the Shield because I haven't had hands on with it specifically. However, in general reference to small safeties such as the LC9 the complaints are because the safety is not as easy to use as a larger one. Just because it's in the same spot and works the same way doesn't mean that it's going to be just as easy to use under stress.

Sure, it's easy to use. You just click it on and off, right? What about when you're under stress? Bloodied or sweating? Damage to your firing hand? There's a huge difference in these contexts between a little nub that goes up and down, and a big lever that your thumb actually rests on.

I personally have experienced stress induced butter-fingers while working with tools that require dexterity and coordination, and will pass if there's a different way to achieving a desirable end-state. I've also had to use weapons after being exposed to 4* temperatures for extended periods, and will pass. Same with my experience using weapons or tools when I'm exhausted, sweaty and dehydrated to the point that my senses and awareness can be summed up as severely impaired; or if my muscles and senses are hyper-active (twitching) from the adrenaline. If you like little nubs, go for it; I personally think there's better options.

Again, I haven't handled the Shield so I can't say I'd pass on the Shield specifically, but in general little safety levers are an immediate turn-off. I'll also advise friends to consider it, and help them make an informed purchasing decision. I hope that helps explain why people might have complaints about little nubs serving as safety levers.

FWIW, my issue with the Shield's safety was less that it was small and more to do with the fact that with my hand size, my thumb doesn't rest in a spot where I could easily actuate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
    I'm not dissing the Kahr trigger by anymeans. For a DAO style trigger, Kahrs and SW revolvers are very good. But the Shield having a safety allows it to have a light break, minimal creep, short reset without being "unsafe". Kahrs have the style trigger they have because they are "pocket pistols" - so it's very close to a revo trigger.
    That's an interesting observation considering the first Kahr's weren't pocket pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
    I have to put it out there in regards to "small controls". Like LAV always says, you never hear about folks having a hard time hitting a mag release under stress. To be clear though, I would have preferred the Shield to NOT have a safety. But given the choice between it's current format or no safety with a revo style DAO trigger, I'd definitely train around the safety.
    The difference is that a mag release is a button (or switch on HK/Walther), and the purchase with a finger is pretty secure. The actual movement of pressing the mag release is also pretty intuitive.

A safety has a greater amount of resistance, a "click", that you need to get past compared to the push of a button. Due to the small size of the gun with a lot of designs, this makes the placement of the safety and operation of it less natural for the thumb. Compared to a 1911 safety, I've also found most small pistols require to use some odd placement or contortion of the thumb, which is what really makes it shitty.

If small safety levers were sweet, then we wouldn't have the generously sized 1911 safety levers we have today, and we would still be walking around with the original design.

In any case, you wondered about why people don't like small safety levers. That's why, whether you agree or not.

I just shot this today. I loved it. It shoots very close to a glock 26. I've shot a PF-9 and hated it. The safety was a concern for me, but it is very stiff and I never actuated it accidentally. This could be the single stack I've been looking for. If I can find a good tuckable holster so I can do business casual covertly, I just might get it.

Anyone have any pics of good IWB holsters for this that they are using? preferably of the appendix variety.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Here's some pics of prototype #2 of a AIWB holster for the Shield I've been testing for Dark Star Gear. This version is 99% final and is exceptional. As you can see I wear against bare skin rather than using the fancy, tight under shirts the young hard bodies among this crowd wear. They are too hot and itchy for me. The final version (for me anyway) will have a full sweat guard. Of course, that's just a matter of preference on my part though. I'm sure he will make them with/without depending on what the customer wants.

This holster is very stable and conceals very well. It's also quite comfortable.

Although I don't have pics of it on my phone (like I did the DSG holster) I have also bee trying out a tuckable IWB (not AIWB) from Personal Security Systems. Steve sent me his personal holster to try out for a bit. I wore it tucked (3 o'clock position) last weekend when I took the wife out to a nice dinner at Woodfire Grill in ATL. It was invisible and wore very well.

So ... there's two great options for you.

DISCLAIMERS: While I am technically T&E'ing the holster for Dark Star Gear I did pay for the holster. I didn't pay for the Personal Security Systems holsters as it is just a loaner. I will be sending it back shortly. There, now no one will accuse me of being impartial.
    Last edited by VolGrad; 05-22-2012 at 08:13 AM.

What he really means to say is the first AIWB I made for him sucked, despite working well for myself and some others, so we tweaked it and improved it overall and added some adjustment. One thing about making one that didn't work well for him is that I was able to make improvements that I would have otherwise not thought of.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    The Dark Star Gear holster lacks a tension screw, correct?

There is not a means to tweak, as shown, but I could add one without issue.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    What he really means to say is the first AIWB I made for him sucked, despite working well for myself and some others, so we tweaked it and improved it overall and added some adjustment. One thing about making one that didn't work well for him is that I was able to make improvements that I would have otherwise not thought of.
    OK. The first one sucked for me.

This one is fantastic though. For me the difference is night & day between the two. The first one worked for Tom and a few others but I really think this one is in a whole different league.

This one doesn't have a tension screw but for me it's really not necessary. It holds plenty secure, esp once on the belt.

User Tag List