Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: New S&W Shield?

Had one in my hands today. I'd have liked a bit bigger safety, but otherwise, I'm sold. I may sell my 3913 to get one.

I'm very interested to hear people's opinions of how this compares to the PPS. Sounds like they both offer good control and accuracy as well as the versatility of the flush & extended magazines. S&W certainly undercut them on price and will likely have substantially more aftermarket options (and an extra round in each magazine). One's got a safety that many won't want, and the other has the disabling removable backstrap that makes some worry.

So if you've shot, or even handled both, what'd'ya think? Will the Shield completely take over the PPS's market share? Or does the walther offer something worth the extra $100-150?

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    I'm very interested to hear people's opinions of how this compares to the PPS.
    I think the more relevant comparison is to a Glock 26. When I put a PPS and 26 in appendix holsters, under a t shirt, I can't tell the difference. I did some shooting today, with a PPS and 26, thinking about this thread, and while the PPS is a very good shooting pistol, I shoot the 26 far better, plus there are all the advantages of the 26 being a Glock (sights, parts, user serviceability, magazines, holsters).

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think the more relevant comparison is to a Glock 26. When I put a PPS and 26 in appendix holsters, under a t shirt, I can't tell the difference. I did some shooting today, with a PPS and 26, thinking about this thread, and while the PPS is a very good shooting pistol, I shoot the 26 far better, plus there are all the advantages of the 26 being a Glock (sights, parts, user serviceability, magazines, holsters).
    I always appreciate hearing first hand experiences. Im anxious to hear more comparisons of these pistols (g26, PPS, M&PS). For some reason, even though the 26 is the obvious king of the class, I find myself looking for a reason to buy something skinny instead. Doesn't make sense to give up 30% of your ammo for less than a 1/4" extra width, does it???

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    Doesn't make sense to give up 30% of your ammo for less than a 1/4" extra width, does it???
    I am willing to take that trade if it means deep concealment or a very slim summer carry gun that shoots well.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    I am willing to take that trade if it means deep concealment or a very slim summer carry gun that shoots well.
    I am interested in how a person might carry a Shield in deeper concealment than in a good appendix holster? I drank the cool aid with the PPS, but after having it a number of months, have yet to find a situation where I could conceal a PPS in an AIWB holster but not a G26. For pocket carry, the PPS size pistol didn't work for me, and I still haven't found something that works better than a J frame.

I am delighted by the Shield, expect S&W will sell truck loads of them, but not sure when I would use one over a G26 using my version of your test, of what you would carry coming out of the grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am delighted by the Shield, expect S&W will sell truck loads of them, but not sure when I would use one over a G26 using my version of your test, of what you would carry coming out of the grocery store.
    I frequently carry a G19 AIWB and while it is pretty comfortable and generally easy to conceal it isn't always ideal. The thinner overall width of the Shield or pistols of similar size do make a difference to some, myself included.

I am not advocating this is the perfect every day carry gun. I do think it's a good substitute for those times you can't or don't want to carry a duty sized pistol.

My thoughts are:

It's a BUG not a primary. I will not use it as a primary, I have chosen it over a j frame for two reasons a) capacity b) faster reload. Is it the end all be all? NO, never will be just like a j frame or a PPS or a g26.....wouldn't you rather have more then less?...at least that is my thinking.

M&P9fs and 9c are dedicated primaries, the shield is for when the feces really hit the fan and Murphy is pissing in my Post Toasties.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    My thoughts are:

It's a BUG not a primary. I will not use it as a primary, I have chosen it over a j frame for two reasons a) capacity b) faster reload.

YMMV
    I get this logic. How do you plan to carry the Shield as a BUG -- and will the size work for pocket carry?

Working on that angle as we converse. I'll let the other involved party talk about it at his convenience.

On the pocket carry, I'm not a small guy so my pockets are generally larger then the average 32-34" waisted gentleman.
    6'2" at about 255lbs and a 40-42" waist provides some benefits.

User Tag List