Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: New S&W Shield?

My primary interest in this is as a quick on and off, no-fuss handgun. I can't carry during the day at work for various reasons. I do, however leave work for about half an hour each night to go grab something to eat. Getting a full-size M&P on and off my belt for 30 minutes sitting in the car on a parking deck is a chore. I can see a single stack 9mm being something I can quickly and easily conceal with minimal fuss so I can run into Burger King and grab a burger while wearing my typical business attire.

I'm not interested in it as an all-the-time gun; just as a gun that I can slip on my belt for a few minutes without having to drop trou to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by jslaker View Post
    My primary interest in this is as a quick on and off, no-fuss handgun. I can't carry during the day at work for various reasons. I do, however leave work for about half an hour each night to go grab something to eat. Getting a full-size M&P on and off my belt for 30 minutes sitting in the car on a parking deck is a chore. I can see a single stack 9mm being something I can quickly and easily conceal with minimal fuss so I can run into Burger King and grab a burger while wearing my typical business attire.

I'm not interested in it as an all-the-time gun; just as a gun that I can slip on my belt for a few minutes without having to drop trou to hide.
    Excellent point. I'm not there now but have been there before. Real life often collides with the perfect EDC load out.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Appreciate the replies!

Apex Tactical is indicating that they will be coming out with a Shield line of products - no word yet on what that might entail.

Link

For people interested in pocket carry, you may want to consider having a taylor deepen your pockets if they are not sufficiently deep. This will help make space for the gun and make it print less. You do not want to have the pockets made too deep, or the gun's muzzle will be banging you in the knees all day.

I have had this done with all of my dress or work pants, which is where I carry my Kahr PM-9.

As someone who pocket carries, it appears to me that the new S&W is too big to pocket carry in side pants pockets even with modifications to the pockets.

I also consider the Glock 26 not great for pocket carry because of the blockiness of it and the sharp angles that can get caught on the edges of the pocket if you are not drawing from an ideal position.

At work I carry the Kahr PM-9 because of it's smallness and flatness. I need something that will not stand out to folks who see in in close proximity day after day, who may brush against me in tight confines like going into and out of rooms, etc.

Outside of work I typically wear pants that are more resistant to my dogs drooling which are typically some type of 5-11s or whatever they are calling them these days. I find that the version of these pants that have the tag with raindrops or something on them (NOT the ones that have the tag with the thigh holster) can accommodate a J-frame without any mods being necessary. With those pants, which I wear outside of work I typically have a J-frame in a pocket holster and something else like a Glock 19 carried inside the waistband with the shirt untucked.

I actually like the J-frame better than the Kahr because the grip is much easier to grasp and the profile of the back of the frame is such that it has less places that can snag than the Kahr if being drawn from an awkward position. I once managed to draw a bluegun version of the J-frame while mounted during training.

I carry the Kahr in a work environment not because it is the best carry gun, but the best carry gun for me that can be concealled within the constricts of the environment.

The extended 7 round mag makes the gun Kahr PM-9 much easier to hold and shoot two-handed, but it also makes it print more and makes it more likely to hang up during a draw from anything other than a perfect position.

Couldn't resist, justoicked one up for $432.99 out the door...went looking for mid-hikers and came back from Academy with a new blaster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JM Campbell; 04-14-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    AKA: SkyLine1

1) Just did a check of a Glock 26 and Walther PPS in two appropriate AIWB holsters (Shaggy, Garrett Super Slim II), and there is no noticeable difference in conceal-ability under a T shirt on my 6-1, 160 pound body.

2) I have two PM9 Kahr pistols that have work reliably for me, but both these PM9's have a stoppage almost every magazine for my wife. Since she doesn't have stoppage issues with her Glock pistols, it is concerning as to what might happen if you got a weird grip.

Some 9FS and Shield pics

Not the different triggers, the shield is lower right. Trigger feels great on dry fire, pretty smooth actually.

Just fondled one at my LGS. If I hadn't just spent $700 rebuilding my PC this week I would've walked out of the store with it. Perfect size for the application I have in mind, but not too small for my rather large hands.

User Tag List