Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trigger press speed and target size

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Ha! I never realized that. I’ve printed and shot this dozens of times lol. Thanks.
    You may have an old version, this was a fairly recent mod. Figured I could squeeze one more target on there.
    Taking a break from social media.

To paraphrase what JJ teaches, you need to press the trigger on difficult shots without thinking about speed.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I always found that by concentrating on my front sight my trigger finger always found the right speed. The smaller the target; the more precise my trigger press was. It was not distance related; it was target related. I have practice targets that I got from Ron Avery about twenty years ago that teach this. The target sheets are all sized at 8.5x11 to be photocopied and each sheet has different sizes and shape of targets for speed or precision drills. I will dig them out

Some humble thoughts:

Fact 1:
    In Germany, we have this shooting sport discipline: 5 shots at 25 m in 20 s (target: ISSF 25 meter rapid fire pistol)
    In our last club championship, my friend shot 190 rings (best result in our club).
    This is like hitting a 2 inch circle at 7 yards (5 times in 20 seconds).
    I asked him for tips. One tip that I did not already implement was: rhythm.

Fact 2:
    I trained with a long-time IPSC shooter.
    5 targets in a row (don't know the exact target size and distance).
    He shot them with a pretty constant frequency.
    I copied him in that I shot with a constant rhythm and it helped me.

Conclusion 1: Increasing the pressure on the trigger with the right speed for the target size is important.

Fact 3:
    I shot at the FAST target at 7 yards.
    If I have a "good" sight picture at the 3x5" box and increase the trigger pressure as fast as I do it for the 8" circle, then I miss the box.
    If I have a "mediocre" sight picture at the 3x5" box and take my time for the trigger press, then I hit it.

Conclusion 2: Trigger press is more important than aiming.

This is a quote I remember from Jerry Miculek. I hope, I quote him correctly.

Fact 4: If I dry-fire in my living room at a small target, then I don't flinch even if I shoot fast after I give myself a "go!" command (totally wrong according to Jeff Cooper).

Conclusion 3: Coolness is helpful for hitting a target.

Jeff Cooper has written that long before (it's one of his principles of personal defense). It's psychological.

Conclusion 4: Precision is a function of
    - sight picture (of course)
    - trigger press speed and
    - coolness

The cooler you are, the faster you can press the trigger and still hit the target.
    Last edited by P30; 08-02-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    To paraphrase what JJ teaches, you need to press the trigger on difficult shots without thinking about speed.
    So that you don't become nervous and stay cool. Could this be the psychological reasoning behind it?

PS:
    I like the pictures for the principles in Col. Cooper's book:

Name:  Coolness.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  32.1 KB

This is a Rocky Mountain goat, isn't it? This dude really has to be pretty cool when he steps where he steps.
    Last edited by P30; 08-02-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Coolness in the sense of a calm and focused mind comes from:

confidence in your abilities which comes from
    - a lot of training, i.e. ingraining of useful techniques (drills)
    - successful application of your abilities in the past

the right mindset which comes from
    - right before it gets serious, remember the one or two most important techniques and intend to apply them
    - purpose: I remember this quote: "Courage is not necessarily the absence of fear, but the conviction that something else is more important than your fear."

slow and deep breathing (into the belly)

Do you have more tips on how to get a calm and focused mind? How to become cool?

Remembering the one or two most important techniques right before it gets serious helped me right before I rode my motorbike on racetracks and before flying with my paraglider/paramotor. Both activities may take some courage but I'm just a software developer, so I don't have much courage training in daily life. My uncle, who was a paratrooper, agreed to the usefulness of this little trick.
    Last edited by P30; 08-03-2019 at 11:29 AM.

User Tag List