Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger press speed and target size

Trigger press speed and target size

If you want to hit a target of a given size as fast as possible, then it's important to use the right trigger press speed. Not to fast, because then you'll probably miss. Not to slow, because then you don't hit it as fast as possible.

How do you estimate and apply the right speed for the target size? Just intuitively or do you use some clues?

Until today, I did it just intuitively. But today I've thought, how important it is to apply the right speed for the target size.

I suppose it could help to divide targets in size classes. For example: Bigger than rear sight, smaller than rear sight, smaller than the notch in the rear sight. Before you shoot, you estimate the size class. When you shoot, you just apply the corresponding trigger press speed (fast, medium, slow).

What's a good drill for learning the right speed for different target sizes?
    Last edited by P30; 07-29-2019 at 05:25 PM.

There are many. TLG documented a lot of them at this link but this specific linked on is the first that came to mind. Designed by PF member @JodyH I am pretty sure.

http://pistol-training.com/drills/99-drill
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Your sights will tell you how fast you should run the trigger at any distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently I've been focusing on slowing my DA trigger pull. I found slowing down just a touch and really "rolling through" the DA made an enormous difference in the quality of my shot. I also found it was easier to begin the shot process during my press out, actually resulting in a faster first shot. I've been doing this in dry fire but once the beep of the shot timmer goes off in competition its hit or miss still.

F.Y.L. Target.pdf

Put this together awhile back. Pretty straight forward, working your way up will help with speed and accuracy. The gray box is a vertical 3x5 for folks who may find that useful.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Thank you very much! I will do these drills.

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    Recently I've been focusing on slowing my DA trigger pull. I found slowing down just a touch and really "rolling through" the DA made an enormous difference in the quality of my shot. I also found it was easier to begin the shot process during my press out, actually resulting in a faster first shot. I've been doing this in dry fire but once the beep of the shot timmer goes off in competition its hit or miss still.
    If you watch some Of Ernest Langdon's videos you will discover this is the technique he champions. He has to be careful not to worry the safety of the 'no trigger pull before the sights are aligned' people's recommendations. Hey me too. I usually wonder what happened to all that dry fire or BB pistol practice when I get to the next match.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Your sights will tell you how fast you should run the trigger at any distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm no expert, but I think this is right. Trigger speed doesn't need to vary with target difficulty, the acceptable sight picture does. The more difficult, the more attention (not focus, but awareness) I need to pay to my sight picture.

Someone used to say the sights are the gas pedal. I've heard it attributed to both Ernest Langdon and Jerry Miculek. I'm not in a position to disagree with either one about shooting.

-Cory

Good thread.

Only thing I wanted to add was something that resonated in my head from taking Mr. @Tom Givens Combative Pistol Class June 2017 in Everett WA:

“Shoot close targets quickly, mid-range targets carefully, and small targets precisely.”

At least that’s what I think I heard, and put in my AAR. It made sense to me, without being overly complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post

The gray box is a vertical 3x5 for folks who may find that useful.
    Ha! I never realized that. I’ve printed and shot this dozens of times lol. Thanks.

User Tag List