Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cloud OWL or...?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I have 2x Modlite OKW heads (and now an IR head) on 18650 bodies, on arisaka defense mounts.

I've already effectively used the OKW on duty, which resulted without any further use of force - which is a huge win in my book.

A local buddy has an OWL and we compared them at a recent no/low light shoot and I could easily see how the OKW head out performed the OWL.
    I owned both the PLH and OKW. I prefer the PLH. My use is 0-200 yards, rural. My rationale is that when I respond to a disturbance outside, it is an animal. Maybe multiple. The PLH gives me much more situational awareness and allows me to see an animal slinking about away from the initially spotted animal, etc.

YMMV, just a differing datapoint with rationale.

Here is an indoor compare. Ironically, it is outside where the spill of the PLH is more useful vs the OKW.

@Unobtanium - thanks for the video. Very insightful and surprising at the small apparent difference between PLH and OKW when indoors. Is the difference in throw very noticeable outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    @Unobtanium - thanks for the video. Very insightful and surprising at the small apparent difference between PLH and OKW when indoors. Is the difference in throw very noticeable outside?

@Unobtanium - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I owned both the PLH and OKW. I prefer the PLH. My use is 0-200 yards, rural. My rationale is that when I respond to a disturbance outside, it is an animal. Maybe multiple. The PLH gives me much more situational awareness and allows me to see an animal slinking about away from the initially spotted animal, etc.

YMMV, just a differing datapoint with rationale.
    If that application works for you, awesome.

The majority of my contact distances are under 100m and the majority of those are under 50m, with many being indoors. As such, a "hotspot" is something I want and indoors it spills everywhere if a wall is hit so awareness isn't an issue.

Also the IR head has the same throw as the OKW which is good for what I need.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    If that application works for you, awesome.

The majority of my contact distances are under 100m and the majority of those are under 50m, with many being indoors. As such, a "hotspot" is something I want and indoors it spills everywhere if a wall is hit so awareness isn't an issue.

Also the IR head has the same throw as the OKW which is good for what I need.
    No arguments there, my use is more animal related, coyote. I need to see as much of the landscape as I can, and the terrain and trees make the PLHs throw sufficient.

User Tag List