Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cloud OWL or...?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

Cloud OWL or...?

I've convinced myself I need a weapon light. Actually I'd have told anybody else that they need one, and I've played around with other people's, but I never got around to it/was going to buy one next/spent the money on other stuff.

For under $200, I can get the Cloud switch and a Streamlight HLX. Not my first choice, but also the most affordable, and if I don't like it I've still got the flashlight I can use. For twice that I can get the Cloud switch and a Surefire. But if I do that, that's what the OWL costs.

The OWL seems like a solid light, and it's the easy button. Just mount it up and go on about your business. At 11 oz I'm not overly concerned with the weight - it'll be going on a 14.5" carbine I built to be somewhat lightweight, which gives me a little wiggle room for adding more weight. And I know it's somewhat designed for shorter weapons, but I've no interest in AR pistols, and suppressed SBR's are out of the question in IL.

I didn't find much real world info on this here, or anywhere else. Sage Dynamics gave it a pretty good review. I'm equal parts asking for opinions and just organizing my own thoughts. I guess I need a reason not to get it.

https://clouddefensive.com/product/owl/

thanks for starting this thread. I am also looking at the OWL.

Another light that popped up in my searches is Modlite with the PHL head.

https://modlite.com/collections/weap...20414793613371

What’s your usage? What kind of Handguard/length, and what optic are you using?

I like the output of the OWL, but not the size and lack of mounting flexibility. That kept me from buying one.

I like the Modlite a lot, but I don't like that it can't take regular CR123s in a pinch. This probably wouldn't stop me from buying one if I didn't already have lights on my rifles.

I'm currently using Surefire Dual Fuel Scout lights and have no complaints. There are options with more throw available, but they provide usable light out to realistic engagement distances in my area.

I’ll just throw out some thoughts. Currently I use a Cloud Owl on my BCM 11.5 ELW SBR that’s my patrol rifle. The rifle has a 1-6x Vortex on it, a hand stop, and the Owl. I use a Sierra Tac sling, and have the MCMR handguard, so it’s a really lightweight base gun. With the vortex, the Owl is way too front heavy for my use.

The last two buildings I cleared with it, I was holding long coverage down the length of a couple long buildings. The Owl was the primary illumination for the first search, and a big part of clearing from the outside on the second. The hot spot can punch through barriers like glass, and the spill is enough to give it good flexibility. It’s super bright, has great throw, really usable spill, the switching is simple and intuitive. It’s durable, I haven’t had a battery die (only charged one batter after using the light for about 2 months now, granted I don’t deploy my rifle often).

While on a high risk stop it’ll punch through vehicle windows to illuminate the occupants, on a barricade it had the reach to identify what was in someone’s hands.

The OWL is a great light. I’d 100% take an owl over the Streamlight (I have one on my backup rifle/training rifle). The streamlight has flickering issues, and makes me not trust it. The output isn’t even close to the Owl.

All that being said, I’m planning on selling my Owl. It’s over built, which makes it bomb proof (haven’t tested this myself, but I’ve seen the videos). The problem for me is that the Owl is just too heavy for my uses. I’ll take the weight penalty of the variable, because there’s nothing else that can give me those capabilities. However, I don’t like that weight penalty on the front of my rifle, when there are other lights (modlite PLH) that have about the same performance, with a much lower weight penalty.

If you’re not clearing buildings/holding your rifle at a high ready for extended periods, then I think the OWL is awesome. If you’re using a red dot, the weight of the OWL is probable moot.

As far as an all included bullet proof package, with great thanks, great spill, rechargeable, etc. I think the OWL is fantastic, it’s just that for me, the weight/bulk is too much. Of the lights you listed, I’d probably go OWL, but I’d also look at the Modlite if you’re weight adverse like me.

The other thing I did is scoot the light back further. The weights a little bit more balanced now, so that’s an option if you like the OWL.

I really like the OWL concept but I'm waiting to see if there's a Gen 2 that is lighter and has battery compatibility with other brands. I'm told the type of 18650 battery used in the OWL is not compatible with Surefire or Streamlight offerings and vise versa. Something about battery over all length and protected versus unprotected batteries.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    What’s your usage? What kind of Handguard/length, and what optic are you using?
    14.5" upper with full length BCM Alpha rail, and Trijicon MRO. Although I could put it on a 16" Aero with full length rail and Micro H-1. So basically the same setup either way. And like you, I've considered moving it (or any setup) further back.

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post

If you’re not clearing buildings/holding your rifle at a high ready for extended periods, then I think the OWL is awesome. If you’re using a red dot, the weight of the OWL is probable moot.

As far as an all included bullet proof package, with great thanks, great spill, rechargeable, etc. I think the OWL is fantastic/
    I don't clear buildings. A one-piece light that is basically maintenance-proof that I don't have to piece together with multiple parts sounds like the bees' knees. I know it's the weight equivalent of hanging a full soda can on the end of the weapon, but I can take it off on range day, and put it back on later (although I'll probably never take it off).

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    14.5" upper with full length BCM Alpha rail, and Trijicon MRO. Although I could put it on a 16" Aero with full length rail and Micro H-1. So basically the same setup either way. And like you, I've considered moving it (or any setup) further back.

I don't clear buildings. A one-piece light that is basically maintenance-proof that I don't have to piece together with multiple parts sounds like the bees' knees. I know it's the weight equivalent of hanging a full soda can on the end of the weapon, but I can take it off on range day, and put it back on later (although I'll probably never take it off).
    So, on a lightweight gun like that with a red dot, I think the OWL would balance just fine.

That’s what sold me on it. I’ve been playing with lights for awhile, and I’m OCD about how I mount my lights, but the OWL just fits really nicely. All in all, it’s a great light, I just wish that for my usage it was lighter. If you don’t care about the weight, then I don’t think there’s a better complete system out there.

If you want a used OWL, DM me lol

The OWL weighs the better part of a pound. My Modlite weighs about 4oz. I went with Modlite PLH 5K.

I got to play with an OWL that my friend picked up used off Tacswap. If you're wanting a simple, all inclusive, bright as fuck weapon light for your HD gun without cords and busy switches, I'm not sure there's a better solution. Like @BK14 pointed out, it's heavy and quite large. Whatever you think it will feel like hanging off the front of your gun, it's more. He put it on a 16" upper with a lightweight barrel and MCMR rail and it really changed how it handled.

We swapped it over onto my 6933 upper and it was far less awkward feeling on the short barreled upper, but still noticeable. One unintended benefit of running the OWL is by adding the equivalent of a full beer can on the end of your gun, any recoil and muzzle rise that was there before will be practically gone without the annoying concussion of a muzzle brake.

I'm not trying to sound like a drama queen either, the OWL is amazing and I keep trying to get him to sell it to me since he doesn't like the weight of it, in fact I pm'd BK14 about his. My plan is to throw it on my HD gun and move on with life. If I were kicking doors and clearing buildings or any situation where I might be carrying or pointing a rifle for an extended period of time, I'm not sure I'd want all that weight that comes with the owl, but for murking coyotes and home intruders if that problem arises, it's perfect for that task.
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 07-29-2019 at 10:58 PM.

User Tag List