Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vehicular Combatives/ttp's/techniques/methodology?

Im looking for something centered around high risk vehicle stops, ie felony stops. My department basically doesn't chase, pit or ever touch vehicles unless you're in specialty units with the appropriate training.

Im looking for vehicle approach/assault techniques that I can take back to the road and apply to either traffic stops, or high risk felony stops.

I do have plans to eventually apply to more specialized units so id like to get the training now rather than later. More time to practice on the road now means I will be more effective down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Im looking for something centered around high risk vehicle stops, ie felony stops. My department basically doesn't chase, pit or ever touch vehicles unless you're in specialty units with the appropriate training.

Im looking for vehicle approach/assault techniques that I can take back to the road and apply to either traffic stops, or high risk felony stops.

I do have plans to eventually apply to more specialized units so id like to get the training now rather than later. More time to practice on the road now means I will be more effective down the road.

I'd look at this then the next time it's offered.

https://centrifugetraining.com/cours...ctor-workshop/

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Bill Blowers has a class that has vehicle takedowns as part of the curriculum, in his High Risk Warrant class, you may want to reach out and see if he's game for a full on vehicle class.

In the mean time, I suggest Tiara Tactical: https://www.instagram.com/tiara_tactical/p/BuNTEvtnlm8/

Can't go wrong with Bill either. Solid copper.

Site Supporter

In addition to what has already been posted, Scott Reitz Of ITTS has been teaching a closed /LE Vehicle Assault class for many years. The down side is he doesn’t travel much so you would likely have to go to CA.

https://internationaltactical.com/vehicleAssaults.html
    Last edited by HCM; 07-31-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Heya guys,

Im polling the hive mind.

Im curious to do some training on my own regarding vehicular assault tactics. Our agency is still using the ol "get a ballistic shield and become one giant snail" approach. Its slow, its not dynamic and it never works in reality as we never practice this and it seems impossible to actually get everyone in sync.

Im looking for some training courses centered around vehicular assault/ambush techniques. Suggestions are welcome.
    Taking down a vehicle and those in it, as you know, is different from fighting out of one. If I understand the question, you're looking at the take-down problem.

In addition to organization-specific training on high-risk stops, including a federal agency's internal skills, I have been through:
    ITTS (Scott Reitz) Vehicle Defense and Vehicle Assaults;
    Handgun Combatives (Dave Spaulding) vehicle combatives (sadly, no longer offered);
    Centrifuge Training (Will Petty) Vehicle CQB and this past weekend his High-Risk Vehicle Stop instructor seminar (haven't had the time to write up my notes, never mind an AAR).

I have no problem recommending ITTS/Reitz's Vehicle Assault class for L/E as the curriculum is drawn heavily off of the experience of specific entities within LAPD. There are things I like in their material and things I don't.

I have a high-risk stop instructor lesson plan that I'm going to modify based on lessons & observations from this past weekend.

I appreciate Petty's data, research-based approach to developing TTPs (tactics, techniques, and procedures). Does it work or not? Will this do that or not? Will that solution work within the constraints that domestic law enforcement finds itself?

As mentioned, this was my second class with Centrifuge. Acquaintances from a surveillance centric org had just taken a class with them. Their thoughts echoed mine, and when communicating with them, I learned they were making significant equipment changes based on their experience.

Take a vehicle defense class to give you the perspective of being inside the car working out. I'll be auditing one taught in southern Cal this fall taught by a retired detective supervisor from SIS and a guy who is a former co-worker;
    Get to a quality data-driven class focused on solving problems around vehicles that makes the best use of the cover available.
    Preferably ones that emphasize slowing down the tempo rather than rushing.
    With that, I strongly recommend looking at the offerings from Centrifuge.

I've done some classes with this guy. He does open enrolment as well.

https://gcstraininggroup.com/
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

User Tag List